Author Topic: SDC’s 2024 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 59910 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC’s 2024 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2024, 10:19:44 AM »
^Rumor is that a tree fell on the tracks and upper management (possibly at the Atlanta level) freaked out. Must have been a huge tree...

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 21, 2024, 01:22:24 PM »
It looks like quite a bit of wood was replaced at the bottom of the drop after the lift hill before the track goes through the lift hill.

Also, it sounds like Outlaw Run and Thunderation will now be closed in prolonged/heavier rains.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 22, 2024, 02:50:43 PM »
Not SDC, but WW....

The wave pool LED screen has been replaced.
There will be fresh mini donuts.
Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen is now a park sponsor. They are actually a sponsor of all Herschend waterparks now.

Jesus4me

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 22, 2024, 03:16:51 PM »
Why would they need to clearcut that area?  Would that be required to rebuild the track?  If that is the case, seems like it would be a totally different experience.
If they were going to retrack the ride they would have to make room for the equipment. It is metal track not wood and cannot be done by hand. Hopefully it is there next project. If the park thinks the trees could cause problems then It would be great to add building facades or more tunnels.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 27, 2024, 07:44:27 AM »
There is construction near the entrance. It is where the rental tents have been since 2020. I’m guessing it is a new area for rentals.

Wildfire

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 27, 2024, 06:28:04 PM »
We are currently at Cedar Point for the 1st time in 17 years.  This further reinforces my opinion of how badly SDC needs a coaster that is a longer ride time.  We just got off Steel Vengeance, that coaster is so much crazier and feels like 3 times longer than Outlaw Run.  We love SDC and are every year season pass holders but it honestly is a bit laughable that SDC keeps getting the best amusement park award when compared to the much larger parks like Cedar Point

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 27, 2024, 08:44:50 PM »
We are currently at Cedar Point for the 1st time in 17 years.  This further reinforces my opinion of how badly SDC needs a coaster that is a longer ride time.  We just got off Steel Vengeance, that coaster is so much crazier and feels like 3 times longer than Outlaw Run.  We love SDC and are every year season pass holders but it honestly is a bit laughable that SDC keeps getting the best amusement park award when compared to the much larger parks like Cedar Point

Cedar Point is strictly an amusement park. SDC started as, and primarily remains, a theme park. They've added some great rides over the decades, but they're never going to try to out-coaster any other park.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 28, 2024, 01:57:13 PM »
I think the award is also for Theme Park - which Silver Dollar City does extremely well. Yes, they could use a nice long ride (hyper or giga) but the ones they have were top of their game when installed. But the main reason my family loves going to SDC over anywhere else is because there is something for everyone: Shows, Rides, Shopping, and Food. Also, the cave is pretty cool too.

Same reason my family loves to go to Busch Gardens, Sea World Orlando, Disneyland, etc. There is more to do than just rides, carnival games, and bad food.

I'm not 100% sure how SDC beats out Universal, or some Disney parks - but SDC does an excellent job campaigning for their park.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #338 on: May 29, 2024, 08:10:48 AM »
There is construction near the entrance. It is where the rental tents have been since 2020. I’m guessing it is a new area for rentals.

Yeah probably something related to either stroller/power chairs or group sales. They've needed a bigger, more permanent space for awhile. Still think they just need to just go ahead and rebuild most of the entrance/ozark marketplace area...

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #339 on: May 30, 2024, 04:11:23 PM »
I think the award is also for Theme Park - which Silver Dollar City does extremely well. Yes, they could use a nice long ride (hyper or giga) but the ones they have were top of their game when installed. But the main reason my family loves going to SDC over anywhere else is because there is something for everyone: Shows, Rides, Shopping, and Food. Also, the cave is pretty cool too.

Same reason my family loves to go to Busch Gardens, Sea World Orlando, Disneyland, etc. There is more to do than just rides, carnival games, and bad food.

I'm not 100% sure how SDC beats out Universal, or some Disney parks - but SDC does an excellent job campaigning for their park.

Jay

Agreed about what is offered.

As for Universal and Disney, the company machines are completely different. I can’t imagine that they really care about these awards.  You don’t need the endorsement of a non-scientific poll when you are already at the level everyone else can only dream of reaching and when you have the IPs and other supports to lean on.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #340 on: June 08, 2024, 12:55:33 AM »

This is just the next step in the parking lot / entry portal revamp. 
Look at what they did at Dollywood and you’ll get an idea of where they are headed
SWOOSH

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 15, 2024, 09:19:03 PM »
Updated progress on the new rentals building.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #342 on: July 16, 2024, 08:09:36 AM »
That's pretty nice. Whoever their architect is these days, they do a good job of matching facades to the older buildings. I assume they probably have developed a set of design standards at this point that they go off of. I kind of wish they'd bring back some of the log cabin architecture in a few places though.

Wonder what they'll do next on the entrance. I assume at some point there will be a major modification of the actual entrance portal. They've already widened and cleaned it out over the past few years, but they are still capacity limited with so few turnstiles. I always wondered if they'd move the turnstiles to about where the sign is now, then bump the entrance plaza back to where some of the handicap parking is now. I think having some of that parking where it is now causes more confusion than it is worth, considering the relative amount of spaces vs total users.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #343 on: July 19, 2024, 10:23:33 PM »
Eventually that whole area will be rebuilt.  They’re just sort of piecemeal building right now.  The admin/ticketing building will be completely raised.  I’ve heard OMP will eventually be replaced as well.  The park does way too much traffic to still be relying on such antedated facilities
SWOOSH