Author Topic: SDC’s 2024 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 39785 times)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC’s 2024 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2023, 07:37:12 PM »
Unlike SDC, Dollywood doesn't have a main coherent theme that fits any single time period. They got 1880's, 1920's, and 1950's themed areas/attractions along with several other attractions with fantasy/nature focused themes with no explicit time period.

Unlike SDC, Dollywood has Dolly. The new time period areas happened after she became involved and they all have to do with her history. They aren’t just completely random timeframes. However, I could see a version of Wildwood Grove working at SDC if it was adjusted a little.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2023, 09:46:11 AM »
Either this is just random or there is something planned for this area that will be part of the announcement on 8.14. Has anyone heard rumors of something happening in this area is the park?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2023, 11:15:35 AM »
^ Is that the building across from the Pottery Shop?
I'm Your Huckleberry

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2023, 12:08:12 PM »

Yes. In past years it was the name sign shop. During Spring Break it was a stuffed animal shop and now it appears to be storage.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2023, 12:17:48 PM »
Unlike SDC, Dollywood doesn't have a main coherent theme that fits any single time period. They got 1880's, 1920's, and 1950's themed areas/attractions along with several other attractions with fantasy/nature focused themes with no explicit time period.

Unlike SDC, Dollywood has Dolly. The new time period areas happened after she became involved and they all have to do with her history. They aren’t just completely random timeframes. However, I could see a version of Wildwood Grove working at SDC if it was adjusted a little.

DW has a semi-cohesive theme of all things Dolly Parton. Everything is connected to her in some way (some looser than others). Her involvement seems to have massively slipped in recent years though. Can't believe she would be happy about all the tree clear-cutting if she still cared about the park or visited much.

As far as that little building teaser goes, if they are indeed announcing a resort then this may become a preview center for the next year.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 31, 2023, 06:29:56 PM »

Sales office for the new Silver Dollar City timeshare resort to be announced 8)

pintrader

« Reply #96 on: July 31, 2023, 08:12:24 PM »

DW has a semi-cohesive theme of all things Dolly Parton. Everything is connected to her in some way (some looser than others). Her involvement seems to have massively slipped in recent years though. Can't believe she would be happy about all the tree clear-cutting if she still cared about the park or visited much.

As far as that little building teaser goes, if they are indeed announcing a resort then this may become a preview center for the next year.

About 8 years ago SDC was giving a little talk about the history of the park.  I sat in a couple of times and some of the talk went into the direction of how much Herschend Family Entertainment owned.  Frisco Jack who has since retired was giving the presentation.  He was saying that Dolly owned about 3% of Dollywood which I remembered because that was somewhat of a shocking number to me.  Now whether that is true or not I have no idea but that is what the man said.  If that is the case then I wouldn't think she would have a whole lot to say in the operations of what goes on there.  Her ownership % might have changed since that time though.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2023, 07:33:36 AM »
Dolly may own 3% or so outright, but the Dollywood company that is in partnership with HFEC to run the place owns something like 51% I thought. Not sure what the split of things is anymore, and this is only my impression from vague third party info I've heard over the years, but I thought that when DW was created out of SDC Tennessee, they basically sold most of the operation to the Dollywood Company that was created at the time to kind of represent Dolly's interests and market her brand through the park. HFEC obviously kept a large percentage and is the operator of the park, but they don't own it outright. Who knows how things have shifted through the years.

Point remains though, DW is themed to Dolly Parton and SDC is supposed to be themed to a fictional version of Marmaros. That theme has been diluted heavily with things like Wildfire and Time Traveler that are totally made up and not even tied into historical elements, but the overall idea is still there. I am hopeful that the new FITH will bring back the "city" emphasis a bit more instead of random crazy adventures and inventions.

pintrader

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2023, 08:11:18 AM »
Yeah....it would be really interesting to know who owns what % and how much say The Dollywood Co. has in the matters and operation decisions that go on there.  The same thing at SDC.....I am always wondering if the brothers have any say to what happens anymore at the city or if all those things come from the board of HFEC.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2023, 03:44:12 PM »
Gold and Diamond pass holders can reserve a spot to attend the announcement on the 14th.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/silver-dollar-city-town-hall-tickets-676242709147

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2023, 05:44:32 PM »
LOL, that's what I get for getting the 'cheap' season pass.  ;D

Don't think I would have been able to make it anyway, but it would be tempting. There is the official announcement that this is the biggest announcement ever. Really think the resort is part of this... Probably lots of other hints of future expansions too, similar to DW's 10 year plan that they discussed back when Mystery Mine was announced. Man, DW was unrecognizable back in 2007 compared to now. Will SDC be the same in 10 years?

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2023, 07:49:11 PM »
Yeah I never got the media invite for this either. Though with Lisa gone I suspect a lot of her contacts didnt get passed on to the new guy.

flutas

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2023, 09:44:55 AM »
Wonder what the "special surprise" is for the passholders. Maybe a walk-through of the state of FITH 2.0?

underdog250

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2023, 04:58:02 PM »
The fact that the special event is an hour long makes me wonder. What else would we be doing for an hour after the 30 min main presentation has ended. I'll be going to the event so I'll try to take as many photos as I can and let you all know what's going on for the "Special Surprise."

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2023, 09:17:20 PM »
Looks like somebody took some photos they weren't allowed to take, as they were promptly removed from the Facebook group page