Author Topic: Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast SFOT to give final rides Sept. 11  (Read 2196 times)

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast SFOT to give final rides Sept. 11
« on: August 28, 2022, 01:29:20 PM »
No details….just this picture (not mine) of the announcement.

Jay

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast SFOT to give final rides Sept. 11
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 07:55:48 PM »
Wow. I remember when they built it.  I haven’t been to SFOT in 20 years now but it was my local park growing up.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 08:39:14 PM »
Most people are fairly certain that they are just retheming it again and turning the trains around to their original direction. It'll probably re-open next year with a new marketing angle.

They may be taking the opportunity to switch out the launch system with something a little more economical. The big problem with this ride is that it takes an enormous amount of power to launch a train from zero to 70 or whatever. That's why so many rides these days use "swing launches" that involve getting the train to a rolling start before the main launch. It takes like half as much power to launch a train that already has some momentum vs. starting from a dead start.

I don't think it's possible to change Mr. Freeze into a swing launch, but perhaps they can update the motors to the latest model or something and get an efficiency boost.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 09:05:41 PM »
I made my first trip ever to SFOT and rode MR Freeze.  Wow this is one intense ride. 

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 12:47:36 PM »
Most people are fairly certain that they are just retheming it again and turning the trains around to their original direction. It'll probably re-open next year with a new marketing angle.

They may be taking the opportunity to switch out the launch system with something a little more economical. The big problem with this ride is that it takes an enormous amount of power to launch a train from zero to 70 or whatever. That's why so many rides these days use "swing launches" that involve getting the train to a rolling start before the main launch. It takes like half as much power to launch a train that already has some momentum vs. starting from a dead start.

I don't think it's possible to change Mr. Freeze into a swing launch, but perhaps they can update the motors to the latest model or something and get an efficiency boost.

Anyone know the tech PK uses?  I've never deep dived into the different techs used for launches.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 01:43:05 PM »
PK uses compressed air. It's made by S&S and uses the same technology as their space shot towers, etc. - It's like FireFall in Fireman's Landing but instead of going up vertically - you launch horizontally.

Jay