Author Topic: Old Time Christmas 2022  (Read 1993 times)

Viking000040

• View Profile
Old Time Christmas 2022
« on: August 18, 2022, 10:56:41 AM »
Hi,
We are planning to go to SDC this year during the Christmas Festival.  I haven't been since maybe 1975 or so and my SO has never been.  The festival begins on November 5th and we are thinking about the following weekend.  Can anyone here share what the crowd levels might be like then?  I would suspect fairly low, but don't really know.  Any other tips, can't misses, good food or any other info?  Are the crafts people there that time of year?  We are looking at staying at the Brookwood Inn, does anyone here have experience staying there.  We are planning on 2 days at SDC and 2 or 21/2 days doing things in and around Branson.  Can you give us some ideas of what we should do/see.  Also, how about a few restaurant suggestions for when we aren't at SDC?
Thanks in advance!
Eric

kbosch1

• McCoy
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Old Time Christmas 2022
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 08:45:03 AM »
Hi Viking!

We tend to go the first or 2nd week of November each year.  We used to always go for a bit on Friday night and then go back on Saturday.  Over the years, Saturday has gotten absolutely crazy at the park, as far as crowds, but that is every weekend now.  My recommendation would be to go on a weekday if you can and if you want to go on Saturday/Sunday, I would be there before the chains drop (about an hour before the park officially opens).   The traffic is unbelievable during weekends and the earlier you get in, the better!

You definitely want to see Dickens Christmas Carol and Show Lover's passes are a good thing if it is crowded.  They are $10/person and guarantee you seats in first so many rows.   The lines for this show can get long and people start lining up and hour or more before it starts, and if you have a SL pass, you can just walk right up at any time after the doors open and you will be guided to your seats.  There have been some recent changes to this show, but it is still a good one to see.  There are other live shows that are always fun and if you have time, would look into.

The parade is always fun and there are two of them (6p and 8p, I believe).   And the new Christmas tree is definitely a must see for the animated lights.

Tons of great food since you last visited.  They have a new smokehouse that for theme park food, is remarkably good.  The apple turnover with cinnamon ice cream is a personal favorite!

Depending on temperatures during your visit (first of November isn't usually too bad) you might consider renting a locker to store a coat for the day if it would be needed during the night.

The crafts people are still active during Christmas. 

As far as your hotel, I have no experience there.  There is so much to do in Branson during Christmas.  Most of the shows on the strip are Christmas themed and are good.  The Landing has an animated tree along with the fountains and plenty of food/shopping, if that's your thing.   Shepherd of the Hills usually has a great Christmas display.  I am sure others can chime in on this too.

The food scene has definitely gotten better over the years in Branson.  As mentioned above, The Landing has lots of options, but will be busy.  There are some really good BBQ places in town now (Danna's and Gettin' Basted). 

Prepare for LOTS of people no matter what days you are in Branson as Christmas in Branson/SDC has become a national pull the last 10+ years.  Enjoy!  It's our favorite time of the year down there.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 10:13:55 AM »
Hi Viking,

I’ll echo what kbosch said. Saturday is really busy. Especially during old time Christmas. Friday is pretty busy too. If you’re able to go Wednesday and Thursday those would be the best two days to be at SDC. Sunday is less busy than Saturday, and it varies whether Sunday or Friday is busier, I think Sunday is usually a little better, people seem to leave earlier Sunday evening.

The tree lighting is really cool, it takes place about 5:30 if I remember correctly.(it’s on the show schedule in the pathfinder(paper map) and in the app). I highly recommend using the SDC app.it’s got a map,can provide directions, showtimes, and shows some menu info for the restaurants. You can watch the parade right after the tree lighting. After the tree lighting the tree does short shows every 15-20 minutes the rest of the night. If you want to skip the tree lighting and just watch the tree later, grand exposition is a great area to watch the parade. It’s usually less crowded than the rest of the parade route.

Craftspeople will be there. Glassblowing and pottery are my personal favorites. Glass blowing is just fun to watch. Pottery is fun because it’s usually not crowded and you can have a conversation with the potters.

I really love the travelers stop at SDC, they have grilled cheese sandwiches(the steak one is my favorite), they usually have a soup for each festival but I don’t remember what it was for Christmas. Hatfields tatter patch has a potato, sweet potato, and sausage skillet, that’s another favorite of mine. The kettle chips are a good snack(it’s by the saloon).

The train is a must do, the line gets long quick even on not so busy days. Usually I wait and get in line around the time of the second parade. A lot of people leave after the first parade is over,helping the line get shorter if you wait till later.

Outside of SDC  I would take a day and drive up to Springfield and go to the wonders of wildlife aquarium(it’s one of the absolute best aquariums in the US),you can also go to bass pro and lamberts(home of the throwed rolls) while in Springfield. I don’t recommend the aquarium in Branson. Advance reservations for the wonders of wildlife aquarium are a must. You can buy tickets and reserve your time on their website.

In Branson gettin basted and Florentiina resturante italiana are two of my fave’s. I also really like the food at smith creek moonshine at Branson landing.

The tree and fountain at Branson landing are pretty fun to see, the tree isn’t a good as SDC’s but the fountains are fun. I think they only have “shows” Fri-Sun.

Sheppard of the hills drive through Christmas lights are really good.

I enjoy miniature golf. Pirates cove and lost treasure golf are two that I like.

Dogwood canyon is another good place to visit.

Viking000040

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 10:45:38 AM »
kbosch1 and Lampie,
Thank you both for your great tips and information.  We are pretty flexible as to which days we go, so based on your info I think we might plan do SDC on Wednesday and Thursday and then Branson shows and sites on Friday & Saturday.  We both hate lines so that show pass is a must do.  Glad to hear that craftspeople will still be there.  I remember getting a cigar box full of cedar shavings from one of them when I was a kid (special memories).
I love aquariums, so we will definitely add the one in Springfield to the trip.  I love Bass Pro and have been to the original one in Springfield, but I'd blow the trip budget if I went there LOL.
Thanks again for the loads of great tips and ideas!
Eric

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 07:18:05 PM »
During An Old Time Christmas:

Crowds are the lightest on the first week. Crowds get bigger every week. I hear that the crowds get light again after Christmas. Remember, the crowds are also the lightest Sunday thru Thursday, followed by Friday, and Saturdays are always the busiest days of the week. This last crowd rule applies all year round.

If you want more info on crowd levels, crowd predictions, and other stuff, I recommend using www.queue-times.com.

The Frisco Silver Dollar Line turns into the Frisco Sing Along Steam Train. Lights are added along the tracks and the train robbery is replaced with Grandpa telling his story. Because of this, the hours have to be changed. On Saturdays, the train does it's first ride at either 2 PM or 3 PM. All other days, the train does it's first ride at 4 PM. The station opens 30 minutes before the first ride. The test run starts 45 to 75 minutes before the first ride. This is when they pull out the poles to make a long line. Overflow follows the train tracks toward Midtown. They will start the second train by 6 PM, unless the crowds are super light. If they start another and don't get enough riders, they will put one away by 8 PM.

Certain other rides may go into An Old Time Christmas mode too. Outdoor coasters are different and are twice as good in the pitch black darkness. If you thought your favorite ride couldn't get any better....THINK AGAIN!!!

Dickens' A Christmas Carol gets a long line immediately after chain drop. It is always in Opera House. Whatever show is in Red Gold Heritage Hall also gets a long line after chain drop, but not as long or as quick as Opera House. I don't know which show will be in there this year because of how they had to change shows recently.

Tinker's Toy Factory is in Boatworks Theater. Living Nativity should be in Riverfront Playhouse, if not Dockside.

The parade is twice every night along the snowflake path. It starts in Red Gold, goes straight up Valley Road, across Main Street, down Hugo's Hill Street, and ending behind Opera House.

The tree lighting is on Main Street. It is more than just the tree. It is ALL OF MAIN STREET!!! The buildings, all the trees, lights overhead. EVERYTHING! It starts everyday at 5:30 PM and continues playing every 15 minutes until close. Either the first Saturday or everyday during the first week, this time is pushed back to 6 PM or 6:30 PM because the sun does not set early enough yet.

Christmas in Midtown is lights all over midtown, tunnels, lights that slowly turn, etc.

All water rides and water fountains are closed and turned off. All water bottle filling stations are either removed or turned off. Even the old ones that used to stay on because they are built into the rocks are turned off, if you can find any left... If you see Mystic River Falls still running the first 2 weeks, it is NOT open! It may take it a while to turn off, otherwise they just want to work the bugs out and repair it in time for next year. You will have to ask a concession stand for free water.

Themed food and drinks are sold around the park, especially on Main Street.

Discounted Season Passes for SDC and White Water next year are probably going to be sold in the Midtown Guest Relations. This is also where you pick up your ornaments, if you visited 5 different festivals.

Santa will be hanging out probably in Carousel Barn.

Certain other areas will also be closed, but most of these have to do with water rides or some type of a "long route". Echo Hollow will also be closed, so no shows will be there.

There will be family photo ops. One includes a gingerbread man family in front of Riverblast.

Rides start closing at 40°F. At 32°F, most rides will be closed. If it rains very little, these temps will be increased on some rides. I'm not sure if the list is still online. All other weather guidelines still apply too.

The weather gets colder, the closer it gets to New Years. That means more closed rides.

Park hours are Noon to 10 PM every Saturday and Black Friday. All other days are 1PM to 9 PM. Thanksgiving is 4 PM to 9 PM (maybe 10 PM). Closed Christmas, Christmas Eve, and New Years Eve. December 30 is the LAST DAY! First day is the first Saturday in November.

The turnstiles open earlier than 1 hour before chain drop. Can't remember how early, though.

I think we are at 6 Million lights now, across the park.

Plus other themed sound effects, decorations, etc all around the park.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 07:24:44 PM by Dewayne »

Jesus4me

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Old Time Christmas 2022
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 10:09:50 AM »
As a longtime fan of Silver Dollar City's Old Time Christmas, I must speak about the shows. I loved "It's a Wonderful Life" and the "Original" Christmas Carol. The changing of the songs has ruined the Christmas Carol and the Coming Home for Christmas show is just not as good as It's a Wonderful Life. It's a Wonderful Life had a story and heart while Coming Home for Christmas is a clone of any show on the Branson strip. My suggestion is to replace at least one with a Stage show of Rudolph the Rednose reindeer. They have the rights and the Costumes. Imagine a broadway musical, with all the beloved songs from the original show.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 02:14:46 PM »
I agree with you about the shows, Jesus4me. We know they ran into copyright issues and ended up losing two of their best performers, so they are still limping along from that. I do feel like they've fallen off the wagon of having amazing entertainment any more. The park used to be celebrated for it's shows, but now aside from the homestead pickers the only shows people really talk about are the things they bring in like the Wallendas or the concerts. I think they just don't have the people for it anymore. The Wallaces were a rare breed and hard to replace. Hopefully the return to focusing on shows soon, but for now the park is packed out enough just because of the lights so I guess that is where the money is leading them to expand.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 03:13:17 PM »

Crowds are the lightest on the first week. Crowds get bigger every week. I hear that the crowds get light again after Christmas. Remember, the crowds are also the lightest Sunday thru Thursday, followed by Friday, and Saturdays are always the busiest days of the week. This last crowd rule applies all year round.

If you want more info on crowd levels, crowd predictions, and other stuff, I recommend using www.queue-times.com.

We used to always go the last few days of the year (after Christmas) because of low crowds and major merchandise discounts....however, these last few years, that doesn't apply anymore.

The huge discounts are gone (no more 90% off items) and the crowds have become big as well. If the weather is great, it will be close to capacity during that week.

Jay

Jesus4me

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 03:35:04 PM »

We used to always go the last few days of the year (after Christmas) because of low crowds and major merchandise discounts....however, these last few years, that doesn't apply anymore.

The huge discounts are gone (no more 90% off items) and the crowds have become big as well. If the weather is great, it will be close to capacity during that week.

Jay

The park would be better off with a new show than a terrible Christmas Carol they have. Baaah Humbug!!