Author Topic: Herschend Providing Free Tuition  (Read 1473 times)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Herschend Providing Free Tuition
« on: February 09, 2022, 07:42:36 AM »
Yesterday, Herschend announced free tuition for all employees at all of their properties. Looks to be a great perk for workers.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/herschend-enterprises-11-000-employees-to-receive-100-free-tuition-301477917.html

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Herschend Providing Free Tuition
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 09:20:45 AM »
I've seen several memes and stories on Facebook crediting Dolly Parton for this and only mentioning Dollywood. Don't get me wrong...I love Dolly. But I can't help but wonder if it's galling to Herschend Family Entertainment for Dolly getting all the credit?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 09:50:32 AM »
Yeah, the media really loves to play up Dolly Parton's involvement with DW. It's weird that some of the outlets completely ignored that this is company wide and affects 11,000 people nationwide, not just DW employees. I doubt Dolly had anything to do with this decision, but I'm sure she approves. As we all know, they simply have to go to big lengths to attract and retain employees because they are running on empty in that regard.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 11:03:02 PM »
I've seen so many bad takes on this, mostly because everyone loves Dolly.

Seriously, who doesn't? She has a well deserved reputation for charity, but it's not like she's paying out of pocket for any part-time seasonal employee who goes to Harvard.

Few people read past the headline. HFE is covering costs for some programs, through their "educational partner". That is great: it will help employees get degrees or certificates in fields that will help them down the road. It won't give them a free ride to the school of their choice.