Author Topic: Fire at the City  (Read 11485 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Fire at the City
« on: November 18, 2021, 01:21:36 PM »
I am seeing posts on Fakebook within the last few minutes of an explosion and buildings on fire at SDC?  Anybody else heard this?

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Fire at the City
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 01:22:25 PM »
Looks like pork rind building and wood shop on fire?

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 01:37:38 PM »
*Commercial Structure Fire* FS10 [Indian Point] Silver Dollar City reported pork rind shop and woodcarving shop on fire. Evacuation in progress. WTCFPD & BFD responding to the 2nd alarm 12:57pm 

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 01:41:14 PM »
Just saw on Facebook there's a fire happening in the City. It seems the pork rind and woodcarving shops have been affected. Hopefully the damage isn't extensinve.

https://www.ozarksfirst.com/local-news/local-news-local-news/officials-two-shops-are-on-fire-at-silver-dollar-city/

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 01:47:22 PM »
Oof, that's a lot of smoke... wouldn't surprise me if a fire started at the pork rind stand due to all the oil they use and then it spread a bit. That's a hard area for firefighters to get access to as well. Good thing this didn't happen on a Saturday.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 02:17:07 PM »
Photo

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 02:24:24 PM »
The woodcarving shop is a large building, and it's a large fire in the videos.  It looks dangerously close to one of the light tunnels to Midtown.  Hopefully, it didn't spread, but it looks like it has probably been contained.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 02:36:14 PM »
According to social media, it was contained to the pork rind stand and the wood carvers shop. I’m guessing there is at least some damage to the connecting buildings. They have already ordered dumpsters to be delivered today.

tmstephe

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 02:46:10 PM »
I know the reports are saying "wood carving shop" but do they mean the Valley Woodcarvers (which is across the street to the east of the pork rinds) or the Heartland Home Furnishings (directly to the south of the pork rinds)?  The cell phone picture posted above makes it looks like the furniture production/demonstration area is heavily damaged. 

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 02:48:35 PM »
I was on my way to wildfire to open up the photo booth when it happened. Guess I’m not going down there today haha

tmstephe

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 03:06:14 PM »
Posted on the official SDC Facebook page.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 03:06:17 PM »
Damn, that is a huge fire. Looks like the pork rind stand will be completely gone. The woodcarving shop they are talking about is the furniture factory. It was a really cool overlooked place in the city with a lot of old fashioned wood turning equipment. Lots of belt driven stuff so it didn't look too modern. If they rebuild, I doubt anyone even knows how to build that type of equipment anymore. The park will just bring in modern tools and maybe put a half wall around them...

Good to hear there's been no injuries.

Wonder if this will change their development strategy since they will probably have to rebuild this entire block of buildings. That makes a nice big area to re-imagine, as they have done with so many other areas of the park recently.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 03:30:08 PM »
Anyone have an idea how many times there have been fires on the park before this?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 03:40:12 PM »
Someone posted a photo on FB under the park's announcement and it looks horrible. The entire building is obliterated. Sad to see the building that was once the stagecoach depot completely gutted. Looks like the entire furniture factory is gone too. That entire block of buildings is done for.

Really curious how they will rebuild. It might be an empty spot for 2022 since it is so large and needs to be re-engineered since the drainage was so bad through there.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 06:40:43 PM »
They’ve already walled it off. Man they are fast!