Author Topic: New Show: Down by The Riverside  (Read 2773 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
New Show: Down by The Riverside
« on: June 03, 2021, 10:35:35 AM »
There is a new show debuting in Dockside this year: Down by the Riverside, performed by the new Rivertown Ramblers troupe. It is described as a jazzy music show with a mix of old gospel songs and renditions of some more modern (well, 70's and 80's...) music.

It seems like a replacement for Cajun Connection that ties into the whole "rivertown" theme. A neat concept on paper, but we'll see if the actual show is decent. Sometimes these types of shows are pretty lackluster karaoke-esque displays, but SDC has a good track record of doing them OK.

I think it's interesting that they are putting together new troupes to replace their old stalwarts like the Sons of the Silver Dollar and Cajun Connection. Those groups had fans and followings that I'm not sure this kind of production is going to achieve. They definitely can't replace the Homestead Pickers, but the way things are going it wouldn't surprise me if they tried eventually.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Show: Down by The Riverside
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 01:14:09 PM »
We're going to SDC tomorrow and Saturday and will try and catch the show.  If we do I will give a report.
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 06:24:34 PM »
We're going to SDC tomorrow and Saturday and will try and catch the show.  If we do I will give a report.

Duelist, you guys have a good visit..  let us know how the new show is.. sounds interesting..

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 01:35:56 PM »
^Thanks!  We did go see the Down by the Riverside show on Friday.  It was pretty good.  They do mainly songs related to water.  They did a "Come Sail Away" by Styx/"Carry on My Wayward Son" by Kansas medley that was good.  They also did a faster version of the Talking Heads "Take Me to the River" as well as some more period songs such as 'Shennandoah".  The musicians were also very good including a guitar player from Rome Italy.  It wasn't the best show I've ever seen at SDC but I would go see it again.  By the way with the Sons of the Silver Dollar no longer at the park is the long-haired guy from that group still with the City?  He also played Bob Cratchitt in A Christmas Carol.  Just curious.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 02:15:06 PM »
^Thanks!  We did go see the Down by the Riverside show on Friday.  It was pretty good.  They do mainly songs related to water.  They did a "Come Sail Away" by Styx/"Carry on My Wayward Son" by Kansas medley that was good.  They also did a faster version of the Talking Heads "Take Me to the River" as well as some more period songs such as 'Shennandoah".  The musicians were also very good including a guitar player from Rome Italy.  It wasn't the best show I've ever seen at SDC but I would go see it again.  By the way with the Sons of the Silver Dollar no longer at the park is the long-haired guy from that group still with the City?  He also played Bob Cratchitt in A Christmas Carol.  Just curious.
See my post about dickens. He wasnt the only one let go. Wallace was as well.

As far as this new show, I am happy to see the musicians play their own instruments and they are doing some “old traditional” songs. I like the way SDC promoted them on their facebook page. I will definitely check out this new show.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 06:59:10 PM »
The new site is being well received and is playing to full audiences. 

The hope is that this can become a new staple for the park and that they can just swap out different songs each season to keep it fresh. 

In other news don’t look for the Saloon Show to go back inside the Saloon this season.  They don’t want to have to find an additional show to fill that stage. 
SWOOSH

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 07:57:17 PM »
The Sons of the Silver Dollar are at the Little Oprah Theater in the IMAX.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 10:19:58 AM »
Photos of the new show - Down By the Riverside

https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2021/06/city-update-sdc.html
SWOOSH