Author Topic: Dollywood Half Billion+ Investment - 2023  (Read 3381 times)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Dollywood Half Billion+ Investment - 2023
« on: June 03, 2021, 08:37:40 AM »
Dolly announced the first project in a new half billion dollar plus investment over the next 10 years. The first project is another resort, HartSong Lodge. It is set to open in 2023.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/entertainment/2021/06/03/new-dollywood-resort-heartsong-lodge-pigeon-forge-tn/5028078001/

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Dollywood Half Billion+ Investment - 2023
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 10:16:34 AM »
This is pretty incredible. DW is really turning into a major national destination. I can remember when it was considered a backwoods tourist trap. People used to think it was campy for a country singer to have her own amusement park. Now it's Tennessee's own Disneyland.

Besides this awesome new resort, it sounds like there are some major new attractions on the way. I assume some major coasters (maybe even that record setting Gerstauler?), but what I'm really interested in is that rumored dark ride. Let's see them really take on Disney again.

I can't believe DW is now getting TWO major resorts and SDC hasn't even hinted at starting one. I seriously don't understand the hold up. If I was HFEC this would have been a priority ten years ago. Lodging in Branson is such a hodge podge and they could have so easily brute forced their way into the market and taken a big chunk. Besides, Branson tourism is still growing so quickly anyway...

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 05:44:04 PM »
I can't believe DW is now getting TWO major resorts and SDC hasn't even hinted at starting one...

In the video that Dollywood posted on their Facebook page they actually said that they are currently master planning resorts 3 and 4 along with a campground.

Our family loves the DreamMore and can't wait for the HeartSong Loge and Resort to open. We do wish that SDC would get a resort of its own.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 05:46:07 PM by mg »

theymitbgi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:19:09 AM »

Besides, Branson tourism is still growing so quickly anyway...

I find this part of your statement amusing.  After just spending a week in Branson and seeing all the shuttered theatres, hotels, motels, and other amusement-type places, I assume you must mean it's on the rebound from the recent downturn.  I would have loved to been there when it was at it's peak, I assume 10-15 years ago.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 01:48:55 PM »

I find this part of your statement amusing.  After just spending a week in Branson and seeing all the shuttered theatres, hotels, motels, and other amusement-type places, I assume you must mean it's on the rebound from the recent downturn.  I would have loved to been there when it was at it's peak, I assume 10-15 years ago.

The crappy hotels are always going out of business, and the small time theatres have struggled to stay relevant with all the competition. The actual numbers show that Branson is still growing, but the bigger, better hotels and attractions are taking that growth, not the half-assed places. People have slightly higher standards than they did in the old days and quite frankly many Branson business owners have been super lazy. People think they can semi-retire here and slap down some half-baked business idea and it will work because Branson. Still, there are plenty of days when it's tough to find a hotel room!

As for DW resorts 3 and 4, I could have heard wrong, but I thought it sounded like one of the resorts would be outdoors oriented (ie: a glorified campground/cabin rental resort). Not sure what the other would be, how many resorts do they really need at this point?

This news also makes me wonder how long it will be until they have year-round operations. Also, how long until Breeze goes from TUL to Knoxville?  ;D

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 06:17:09 PM »

The crappy hotels are always going out of business, and the small time theatres have struggled to stay relevant with all the competition. The actual numbers show that Branson is still growing, but the bigger, better hotels and attractions are taking that growth, not the half-assed places. People have slightly higher standards than they did in the old days and quite frankly many Branson business owners have been super lazy. People think they can semi-retire here and slap down some half-baked business idea and it will work because Branson. Still, there are plenty of days when it's tough to find a hotel room!

As for DW resorts 3 and 4, I could have heard wrong, but I thought it sounded like one of the resorts would be outdoors oriented (ie: a glorified campground/cabin rental resort). Not sure what the other would be, how many resorts do they really need at this point?

This news also makes me wonder how long it will be until they have year-round operations. Also, how long until Breeze goes from TUL to Knoxville?  ;D

Allegiant has a plane base at Knoxville. Allegiant should have already started XNA/SGF to TYS.

Before some comes at me with Allegiant is a travel agency that happens to sell flights. That revenue segment is decreasing more  and more. In some markets they are nearly a straight up airline. I'll give you Allegiant's Memphis to LA and Las Vegas service,  daily except for Tues in the summers.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 12:00:57 AM »

You should have been there 40 years ago, when it was really exciting and we all had some childish sense of wonder.

That was when Hwy 276 was two lanes all the way, no bypasses, and locals sported bumper stickers saying "BRANSON NATIVE, I'LL HELP YOU TURN LEFT! <<<<"

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 08:13:43 AM »

At the end of the announcement video, he actually says “but we’re master planning resorts 3, 4 and 5 and an epic new outdoor campground resort.”

https://fb.watch/5YwUYjiynG/

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »
I can't believe DW is now getting TWO major resorts and SDC hasn't even hinted at starting one...

In the video that Dollywood posted on their Facebook page they actually said that they are currently master planning resorts 3 and 4 along with a campground.

Our family loves the DreamMore and can't wait for the HeartSong Loge and Resort to open. We do wish that SDC would get a resort of its own.

They actually bought a RV Campground near the park. Look for that announcement soon
SWOOSH