Author Topic: Whoopie pies  (Read 4569 times)

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Whoopie pies
« on: June 13, 2020, 02:58:56 PM »
I noticed as we were leaving they are now selling whoopie pies at the cinnamon roll place as you leave. Does anybody have any real legitimate inside info as to where they came up with the idea for these?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Whoopie pies
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 03:11:05 PM »
I got a pumpkin whoopie pie from Eva and Delilah's bakery during OTC last year.  Good stuff.  What flavors were they offering today?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 03:25:25 PM »
Birthday cake, vanilla, and some sort of mint. Did they have them last year? I have never seen them before and would really like to know who or how they came up with the idea to start selling them.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
Actually, come to think of it, I got the pumpkin whoopie pie during the Pumpkin Fest last year.  That was the first time I saw a whoopie pie offered.  I got an eclair during OTC. (I like the bakery  :) )
I'm Your Huckleberry

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 07:10:03 PM »
Near as I can tell nobody has ever heard of a whoopie around these parts.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 07:26:22 PM »
I didn't until a few years ago when I watched a PBS special that I think was called "In search of the great american pie" and they talked about Whoopie pies on there.  I thought they looked delicious and I was right.  Aren't they mainly an upper mid-west specialty?  I'm from Arkansas and wasn't familiar with them until I saw the program.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 10:40:35 PM »
No, they are a northeast thing and the official Maine state desert I believe. They also have a version of them in PA and the Amish make something similar but not quite the same.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 09:35:50 PM »
We went to the bakery this morning as they were making their "whoopie pies".  Decided to buy a traditional which is chocolate with regular cream.  It is apparent they have no clue what an actual whoopie pie is.  There is a start up that has been selling the authentic Maine style for a couple of years here in OK that has spent most of that time overcoming people not knowing what they actually are and have now they have started selling pretty good.  The real ones are a light fluffy cake shell with fluffy creme.  The SDC ones are extremely dense and heavy and the creme is just straight cake frosting, not actual whoopie pie  creme.  My theory is since the whoopie pies have started gaining some traction down here, somebody at SDC saw them and thought it looked like a good idea to sell them.  Unfortunately they do not appear to know how they are actually supposed to be.  Just my opinion and theory.  Anyway, if you do buy one just know these are not how whoopie pies are supposed to be.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 12:24:39 AM »
Near as I can tell nobody has ever heard of a whoopie around these parts.

I never heard of them until I moved to northern New Hampshire in 2012.

Here, they're mostly made with Devil's Food cake-style cookies and Fluff. There are seasonal variations, like pumpkin spice.

I'm not into sugary things, so I really can't comment on what's good or not.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 08:14:20 AM »
We went to the bakery this morning as they were making their "whoopie pies".  Decided to buy a traditional which is chocolate with regular cream.  It is apparent they have no clue what an actual whoopie pie is.  There is a start up that has been selling the authentic Maine style for a couple of years here in OK that has spent most of that time overcoming people not knowing what they actually are and have now they have started selling pretty good.  The real ones are a light fluffy cake shell with fluffy creme.  The SDC ones are extremely dense and heavy and the creme is just straight cake frosting, not actual whoopie pie  creme.  My theory is since the whoopie pies have started gaining some traction down here, somebody at SDC saw them and thought it looked like a good idea to sell them.  Unfortunately they do not appear to know how they are actually supposed to be.  Just my opinion and theory.  Anyway, if you do buy one just know these are not how whoopie pies are supposed to be.

I agree entirely. I have seen several bakeries selling exactly what you are describing. I think they opt for the cake frosting because it has a better shelf life and looks better from a distance. They don't taste like anything though usually. A real whoopie pie is a great treat.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »
I have to say I think SDC should have just skipped trying to sell these. 

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 08:34:58 PM »
Isn't a moon pie actually a whoopie pie?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 10:45:09 AM »
Woopie pie is a cake where the Moon pie is more a cookie.  We ate moon pies up east and in Amish communities for years.  But as stated the filling is more a shortening type filling not a frosting.  Normally chocolate with vanilla filing like an oreo. 

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 04:51:58 PM »
No, a moon pie is a completely different thing.  It is more like a cookie or flat cake with some sort of marshmellow cream.  A whoppie pie is supposed to be a light fluffy cake shell with light and fluffy cream filling.  The ones at SDC are heavy dense and dry cake with heavy cake frosting in the middle.  Not at all what a whoopie pie is supposed to be. 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
I guess I didn't have an actual whoopie pie to compare it to but I still liked the pumpkin one offered last fall (whatever it was)
I'm Your Huckleberry