Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146268 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2020, 09:11:16 PM »
Anyone been through Branson lately? I'm wondering if they ever got the elevator done. Mystic River would be open or about ready to open by now, presumably, if things had gone to plan. I know there were some delays both due to general construction issues and from shipping parts over from Europe (seems to happen every time no matter what). Not a lot of people left at the city right now though after all the furloughs and layoffs...

Plus, the weather seems to be paused in the cold cycle right now.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »
I'm very skeptical of this rumor but I've been told by two different people now who claim to work at the park that while everyone was furloughed they went ahead and sent in a 2nd crew to begin the process of dismantling FITH ahead of schedule. Again I'd take this with a grain of salt but if anyone else has any word on it I'd like to know for sure. I find it crazy that the park would quietly do something like that for such an iconic ride. Yes I know they did that with Lost River, but it wasn't anywhere near as iconic as FITH. Heck even Geyser Gulch got a sendoff before it was dismantled.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:03:11 PM by sdcfan88 »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2020, 03:32:07 PM »
^ I wouldn't think they would do that right (hopefully) before the season opens unless it has developed a serious issue.  Or worse, they decided not to open at all this year. 
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2020, 04:53:54 PM »
In many ways it would make sense to take advantage of the situation.

They wouldn't have to shield the work from the public right now.  They could work around the clock.  They could make all the noise they want.  They could pay some people who may need the work.

It depends on how much capital they would want to spend in such a down time.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2020, 05:30:17 PM »
I'm guessing that's going to be the location of the new Princess-of-the-Ozarks Castle, integrating with the Mystic River as part of its moat. 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2020, 05:44:32 PM »
^ Don't give them any ideas  :)

I'm Your Huckleberry

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2020, 06:08:36 PM »
If they did want to dismantle at this time, from what the website shows, they have plenty of time if they keep at it. June has changed from showing hours to TBD..... Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2020, 06:14:32 PM »
It could be where the new valet parking garage will be located.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »
There were rumors that they would start on the supposed FITH replacement project as early as this year, but I somehow doubt they would be taking the old ride down now... Anything is possible though, you really never know with the PTB at SDC these days. I would have assumed that all capital projects that weren't being finished when this began are now on hold.

We'll have to keep our ears to the ground, but I wouldn't freak out yet. Unless the building failed code or something, it would be a bad look to take it out before people get their last rides in.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2020, 06:46:09 PM »
There were rumors that they would start on the supposed FITH replacement project as early as this year, but I somehow doubt they would be taking the old ride down now... Anything is possible though, you really never know with the PTB at SDC these days. I would have assumed that all capital projects that weren't being finished when this began are now on hold.

We'll have to keep our ears to the ground, but I wouldn't freak out yet. Unless the building failed code or something, it would be a bad look to take it out before people get their last rides in.

It really doesn't follow the HFE pattern.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2020, 08:06:06 PM »
After talking with a few that would know (and this was news to them) it’s possible that the structural integrity of the building might have finally got to the point where it couldn’t be “fixed” with bubble gum, duct tape and c-clamps anymore.  If that’s the case, then the rumor could very well be viable. 

If and when FITH leaves, don’t expect a newer version of FITH to replace it.  Don’t set yourself up for that kind of heartbreak when you are presented with the truth. 

Also keep an eye on TNT in the next few years.  If you like the ride get as many laps in as you can while it’s still here
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:18:44 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2020, 05:30:17 AM »
I have really been hoping they would just fix the bump....

Guessing repair cost/benefit ratio did not come out in the rides favor?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2020, 10:32:16 AM »
If they can replace LROTO with a similar ride they can do the same thing with others such as FITH and T-N-T.  Do it SDC!
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2020, 11:46:16 AM »
I don't think SDC is going to rush to replace all this stuff at once. TNT can be repaired easily enough. That ride is both popular, reliable, and efficient. It would be stupid to get rid of it right now when there are so many other things to deal with.

Surely the FITH replacement is still in the works on some kind of timeline, even if it is delayed a couple years. It's hard to imagine SDC without either classic indoor attraction and nothing new to replace them. The PTB is aware of how popular these rides are, how important it is to have some indoor attractions that are open during Christmas, and the appeal of having some great thematic rides in the line-up that are beyond anything at SF/CF. I'm sure the crisis will delay funding a bit, but surely they will still eventually build a new FITH at least.

I really question SDC's cost benefit analysis sometimes. I know getting ROI out of an amusement park is a seriously tough puzzle much of the time, but a bit of preventative maintenance would have kept the classics going indefinitely. I really hope this rumor ends up being false and we get a few more seasons out of FITH until the economy recovers.

Also, am I missing something, or is the park being oddly quiet about Mystic River? Would love to see more teasers/updates.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »
I have wondered that as well but also had the thought of why tease something that isnt going to open in time for the summer hours? They might have an idea of when they are going to open, like the fall, when its not feasible to run this ride? Or maybe they are waiting to see how the bigger parks do on reopening before themselves opening?