Author Topic: The SDCFans Lounge  (Read 129346 times)

sdcforever

Re: The SDCFans Lounge
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2008, 02:19:48 PM »
^The last movie I saw was also WALL-E, and I really enjoyed it as well.  Pixar has raised the bar of animation yet again!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »
^I've heard great and not so great things about WALL-E. Some people told me that they fell asleep because it was so boring but mostly I've heard that it was a great charming movie. I love Pixar and they've made some great movies but this one, I don't know. I want to see it but I most likely won't.

I'm on a huge Batman buzz though! The Dark Knight was just so amazing!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2008, 06:21:10 PM »
There's too much to see in WALL-E to fall asleep.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
^It's just what I heard. I'd like to see it but I probably just won't.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2008, 01:14:40 AM »
Hey Joy, it just hit me that tinaalsgirl is a reference to Quantum Leap.  Am I right about that?  Of course I am.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »
I went to the midnight showing of The Dark Knight last night (I mean this morning). It was amazing! It was the best theatre experience I've ever had (not meaning the best movie I've ever seen). I went with four of my friends and it was just a lot of fun. There were people in Batman costumes and people cheered and screamed, it was just exciting. And I didn't get home 'til 3 in the morning.

Heath Ledger gave a stellar performance as the Joker. He made the character funny yet scary at the same time. I'd suggest this movie to anyone who is in the mood for a thrilling action packed movie. It was the best movie I've seen all year.

Does anyone else want to see this movie or has anyone seen it yet?

I just saw "The Dark Knight", Coaster.  It was good, but it was really long.  The movie just kept going faster and faster with only a few speed bumps slowing it a bit at times, which kind of annoyed and overwhelmed me.  They didn't do a lot of character development, it was just action on top of action.  And there were way too many monologues about good vs. evil and good vs. evil inside the same person, etc.  Heath Ledger's performance was great, and towered over the film.  I appreciated his performance most because he provided nearly all of the comic relief (Alfred had only a couple of amusing lines).  My biggest peeve is the fact that Christian Bale doesn't make a good Batman, in my opinion.  The role is too big for him (I felt this way with "Batman Begins" too).  His hoarse voice for Batman really distracts me.

Despite what I wrote above, I did enjoy the movie overall.  It has great set pieces and some good action (but too much, in my opinion).  I think it just takes itself too seriously.  And it's overrated.  It's certainly not one of the greatest movies of all time.  But it is one of the best movies of the summer.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 01:48:11 PM by sdcforever »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2008, 07:24:30 PM »
I saw "Dark Knight" last Wednesday night, the 9 pm showing at the IMAX with my daughter.  There was a long line of ticket holders waiting to get in; I stood there about 50 minutes myself and the theater was already more than half full when I passed through the door.  While in line, I chatted with a nice couple from Chicago (held my place in line while I went to get popcorn), and I ended up giving them a couple of comp passes to SDC even though they're Cubs fans.

The movie was awesome on the IMAX screen, and even though it was shot in 35mm, it still filled over 70% of the screen.  We enjoyed the film immensely.  I didn't really notice the length because the action kept me occupied and my mind from wandering.  I go to see a movie as an escape, so as long as it keeps my attention, I don't worry too much about character development.  They just have to be believable or at least credible, not deep.  If I want great character development, I read a book.  That's not to say that movies cannot achieve it.  I just don't expect it in a movie of this type.

I thought the performances of both the leads were pretty good.  In comparing the two however, I have to say that it is so much easier for the "bad" guy to deliver an intriguing performance than it is for the "good" guy.  There's so much more material to work with, and the fascination with what makes the evil guy tick is so much more intense.  What can make a good guy interesting however is seeing him attempt to keep an "evil side" under lock and key.  So, I appreciated both performances.

That being said, I was extremely annoyed by Heath Ledger's performance.  It wasn't original by any means.  I saw Jack Nicholson in every line delivery, every mannerism, right down to the lip-smacking.  Very disappointing.  All I had heard was how great Heath Ledger was, so this was a big let-down.

But, being able to put that aside, I really enjoyed the film and would recommend it to a friend. 

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2008, 09:33:32 PM »
^^I do agree that the movie was really long. (Try going when it is midnight and the movie is delayed from starting for forty minutes). I personally liked all the action. The stunts were great (especially the semi truck flipping over) and the movie was better than Batman Begins, which I actually saw after The Dark Knight. But in my opinion, Christian Bale makes a pretty good Batman. His voice as Batman actually sold me on it. But all this stuff about him assaulting his mom and sister lately, has me wondering about his off screen personality.

^I watched some of the first Batman on tv a couple days after The Dark Knight. In my opinion, Heath Ledger's performance was ten times better than Jack Nicholson. Although, that may be because I come from the generation of special effects and big time sets which, of course, The Dark Knight had. The make-up smearing off his face and the lip smacking was all really cool.

"Why so serious?!"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:34:44 PM by Coaster »

sdcforever

« Reply #158 on: July 28, 2008, 09:18:42 AM »
^All right, let's have some fun!  The third Batman film--the villians.  Obviously, the Joker should return, which raises some complications.  The Joker is Batman's greatest villian, he can't just be in one film of a rebooted franchise.  He'll have to be recast.  I would like to see The Riddler make an appearance.  Oh (I won't give anything away for those who haven't seen the film), but the person who we're made to think is dead at the end of the film, I don't think he's dead.  I think he'll make an appearance in the next film.  There are also rumors that Catwoman may appear in the next movie as well.  Your thoughts?  Who would you like to see in the next Batman movie?  Who wouldn't you like to see?  I personally hope they never introduce the Penguin.  But, since they seem to use at least two villians in every film, they may have to introduce the Penguin if they make a fourth movie.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:20:33 AM by sdcforever »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 28, 2008, 12:36:55 PM »
^I do hope they bring the Joker back. There'd be huge debates after the movie about who was the better Joker (Heath or whoever played the new one). As for the person who is supposedly dead, I believe he is dead. But who knows in today's movie world. Pirates of the Caribbean surprised me A LOT with how many people they brought back from the dead.

I read on IMDB that Bale, Caine, and Oldman are all under contract for a third movie, so there will be a third. As for the villain, I'd also like to see the Riddler and the Joker. If not both, the Penguin would also be all right with me.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2008, 10:20:08 PM »
Hey Joy, it just hit me that tinaalsgirl is a reference to Quantum Leap.  Am I right about that?  Of course I am.

Of course you are! :)

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcforever

« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2008, 01:52:55 PM »
I just downloaded Jars of Clay's new five song EP "Closer", and it's fantastic!  There are three new songs ("Closer", "Safe to Land", and "Prisoner of Hope") and two new wicked versions of "Love Song for a Savior" and "Flood".  You can check it out on iTunes; it's a precursor to their new album that's coming out in early 2009.  They've changed their sound again, and it's very infectious and great. ;D

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2008, 09:10:08 AM »
^I listened to the new songs on Myspace. I liked Flood New Rain the best. They have changed their sound a lot though! You can hardly tell it is them.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2008, 11:31:16 AM »
I discovered that Robert Downey Jr. has his own music album. I checked it out from the library, and it's amazing! Though I have to admit, it was a little strange to sit there listening to "Tony Stark" sing... LOL

He's also got a couple of songs on the Ally McBeal soundtrack "For Once In My Life".

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcforever

« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2008, 07:09:58 PM »
^Speaking of actors releasing music, Bruce Willis released a R&B album in 1987 entitled "Return of Bruno".  For your own sanity, don't check that out! :-X