Author Topic: SDC’s 2021 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 63453 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC’s 2021 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2019, 10:19:51 AM »
Starting to hear a lot more rumblings that the FITH rumor might actually have some traction.  Now there are about 5 different rumors out there right now, but the loudest is that current FITH will be open during 2020 season while new FITH is being built in FL for s 2021 opening.  Sounded like it would go in the Shad parking lot behind current FL. 

Again RUMOR but multiple sources this time so who knows.  We’ll keep an ear out for more.

Sad thought that SDC scraps the original FITH while Dollywood keeps and refurbishes theirs?  Very sad.
Knotts and other parks have reinvested in the older dark rides but SDC seems as if they want to find a reason to eliminate theirs. 

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2019, 11:58:09 AM »
If Dollywood can operate both FireChaser Express and Blazing Fury.....why can't SDC do the same with a new coaster in FL and a refurbishment of FITH.

The new coaster in FL could have some of the more modern elements we've discussed and then FITH could just be fixed up as is. Of course, that is if FITH is capable of remaining and not too far gone.....

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2019, 01:53:02 PM »
Pretty sure the building is too far gone to be saved. 
You have to remember that Blazing Fury is much younger than FITH
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2019, 03:40:27 PM »

The building is in bad shape. you can see daylight through the walls in several places.  You know it has been patched "alot" through the years.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »

6 years should not make the difference with a cinder block structure on a slab.    I dont not believe that SDC is as interested in saving its past as we are.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:57:32 PM by mhguy77 »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »
Starting to hear a lot more rumblings that the FITH rumor might actually have some traction.  Now there are about 5 different rumors out there right now, but the loudest is that current FITH will be open during 2020 season while new FITH is being built in FL for s 2021 opening.  Sounded like it would go in the Shad parking lot behind current FL. 

Again RUMOR but multiple sources this time so who knows.  We’ll keep an ear out for more.

That would properly place with like themed attractions. We know know they don't mind going with a new version of a similar ride with the new raft ride.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »

6 years should not make the difference with a cinder block structure on a slab.    I dont not believe that SDC is as interested in saving its past as we are.

The cinder block outer walls are just one aspect of the building.  Sometimes you have to cut your losses and start new.  While I am sad that the original is rumored to go, I’m also realistic in admitting it hasn’t been the FITH from my childhood in at least a decade or more.  The new version will more than likely have much newer technology and will probably have more intricate scenes instead of repurposed clothing store mannequins.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »
OK, but something would have to go in the old location if FitH is relocated.  Another dark ride in a new building?  Something along the lines of one of the concepts presented in the recent DW survey?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »
OK, but something would have to go in the old location if FitH is relocated.  Another dark ride in a new building?  Something along the lines of one of the concepts presented in the recent DW survey?

Any kind of ride could go into the area. 

they could also build a new Building for shows and events..   Maybe something to replace Riverfront when it comes out..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2019, 09:17:55 PM »

Well... there’s been rumblings about that too, and honestly a lot of you won’t like that either, so let’s just focus on one thing at a time.  No need to work yourselves up until we see some real movement. 

With that being said, many on here didn’t believe they’d rip out LR even though we talked about that possibility being pretty strong about two years before that project started.   So, who knows...
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »
With all the talk with the FITH demo and possible remake, while I still cringe at the idea of losing this classic as I have known it, it would be cool if they did do something like this for the final drop on the remake that yells Fiiiiiiirrrrre In Theeee Hoooole! along with other pyrotechnic effects thru the ride. https://youtu.be/89flDfgcQr8?t=140

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »
Yes, Resurrecting a almost dead thread. But just curious if there has been any more rumors about the relocation/replacement of FITH in 2021?  I have not found anything. Everything seems to be focused on the new water ride to replace LROTO.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2019, 10:16:44 PM »
Nothing concrete.  2022 is supposedly a new attraction (not a replacement) then 23 or 24 is FITH replacement.  I guess we’ll see. Something needs to be done soon
SWOOSH

ThemeParkFan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2019, 11:41:05 PM »
I finally got to ride FITH today and based on that, I'd say they need to accelerate their timetable. The condition of the ride was truly deplorable, and felt like a marked comedown even from last season. Still a lot of missing audio, new train whistle and "FITH!" for some reason (why?), and a ton of visible deterioration.

If you'd have told me ten years ago that Dollywood would put some TLC into Blazing Fury and SDC had let FITH rot, I would have never believed you or thought you'd gotten the parks confused somehow. I just don't understand the thought/rationale behind allowing the ride to even get to this point, what was once and I had thought to be still a signature ride.

I would have hoped for a Knott's style refurb, but alas, it seems like that's unlikely. Hopefully they'll do a fantastic reimagined version, but right now I have my doubts. And until this visit I hadn't really ever doubted the park before.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2019, 01:40:32 AM »
-There's a bad jolt on Thunderation in the tunnel after the helix. It's very pronounced and painful now.

^Off the wall curiosity to everyone here, regarding your comment about ThuNderaTion in the other thread, how would people feel if that was the next thing to be on the chopping block? While it is not a true SDC classic like FITH or FM it is still a fan favorite and a great mid-level non-inverting coaster that is family friendly and it was the parks first true big rollercoaster. It is also reviewed by many coaster enthusiasts as the one of the best mine train coasters of its kind in the world. I haven't considered it but with Arrow being gone the way of the dinosaurs and S&S being bought out, (who themselves bought Arrow's assets) it makes me wonder how much longer we will have it with us. Spoke to some ride attendants and they were concerned about its future as they apparently have to custom fabricate parts for the ride nowadays.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 01:44:36 AM by sdcfan88 »