Author Topic: Ride The Ducks Boat Capsizes in Storm  (Read 32400 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Ride The Ducks Boat Capsizes in Storm
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2018, 05:35:25 PM »
The captain was indicted on 17 federal charges.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missouri-duck-boat-captain-indicted-for-deadly-accident/

There was another article last week about the pump modifications made. If this is true I would bet it was done under Herschend ownership. They were the ones who stretched them out. Pretty sure the ducks are done with.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article220970640.html

I believe that...

If and When the Herschands did the "stretch" Modification,
If they did indeed change out the "bilge" Pump" system,
And IF the coast Guard inspected the vehicles at that time and approved them (Which they would have to).

Hershands would not be liable at this time.. 
Not their fault IF somebody else, Did not Maintain the vehicles (IF that is what happened), AFTER they sold them to another entity..

The people filing lawsuits are just using the Shotgun affect... SUE EVERYONE that had anything to do with the Ducks..   

I keep waiting for my notice, I usually do the ducks twice a year..  SInce I spent my money supporting them, I may be liable also :o

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2018, 11:12:13 PM »
I keep waiting for my notice, I usually do the ducks twice a year..  SInce I spent my money supporting them, I may be liable also :o

I wouldn't be surprised if you get a class action notice, informing you of your rights for being so traumatized that it could have been you.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2022, 09:28:56 PM »
This seems to be the newest Ducks thread, so I'm sharing this that just popped up in my Youtube recommendations.

It's 45 minutes, and I only watched the first 7 minutes. I can't make a comment, other than to say it looks like a long-form report on the incident, including an explanation of the DUKW, its history, and the "Stretch Duck" modification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yG5C94qM2Y

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2022, 12:05:01 AM »
I saw that same you tube vid -- very explanatory.

I think that like a in great many of these types of incidents.. a whole lot of little things each individually might not be a problem. But under these circumstances, all together caused the disaster.  Had any one or two not occurred the outcome might have been very different.

I think this goes on in a great many things in life, and every now and then, it all come together at the right time and place and fails spectacularly.

its tragic that cost to learn these things is so high.

It could have just as easily been a land based disaster as well. I cannot imagine that these ducks are anything but horrible to drive on even a regular road. Long, heavy, slow, wide, very poor maneuverability, bad visibility.

my two cents.
Kevin