Author Topic: Luke Stanlee  (Read 3093 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Luke Stanlee
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:44:23 PM »
Starting in 1980 I began going to SDC 2-3 times per year (and our wall of tintypes shows!) and I remember nearly 20 years ago watching one of the music shows at the main gazebo and an old sweeper went up on stage and danced a traditional Ozark jig. Does anyone recollect this, and even more so, anyone know who this gentlemen was?

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: Old Maintenance Worker, Sweeper
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:16:50 PM »
Horse Creeks had a full time dancer for years whose name was Ike Fry. Luke Stanley was the sweepers name. Luke did this almost every show and thus was an unofficial member of that band. Both have passed on.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:24:53 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

sjrogers

• View Profile
Luke Stanlee
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:55:41 PM »
From the late 1970's there was an individual by the name of Luke Stanlee (if that is the correct spelling).  As best I can remember he walked around the main square with a broom and long handle dust pan sweeping stray items on the walkways.  Often when Horsecreek Band was at the Gazebo (or the equivalent of that back then) Mr. Stanlee would dance a jig.  We always enjoyed seeing him.  I was just curious if anyone has a picture of him or could share more information about him.  Thanks. - Steve
Steve

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Stanlee
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:51:08 AM »
Was he an elderly, stooped, slight little man? Wore overalls and danced his jig while wearing leather gloves to make noise while slapping his hands?

I never knew his name, but for several years when I was a kid in the '70s-80s there was usually a bluegrass combo at the entrance to the Hospitality House, with a gentleman of that description clog/jig dancing on a sheet of plywood.

I have no idea if it's the same guy, but I'd love to hear from others who remember him.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 07:02:40 AM »
Luke was a common sight on SDC streets for years, and yes, he did dance with Horse Creek. I cannot remember if he was a full member of Horse Creek, or a street sweeper who got up to jig every now and then. Slim Wilson, a fixture in Springfield radio and early TV music programs, also was seen on the streets of SDC frequently, the two may have performed together. Slim got little mentions in the Beverly Hillbilly episodes from time to time, as well. Luke may have, too, but I cannot remember for certain. These men were part of the early color and flavor at SDC in the 60s, 70s, and into the early 80s. I remember seeing them both from time to time when I worked on park. That jig dancing was pretty darn good. Both men are part of the romantic atmosphere of SDC's bygone days. I think Slim and Luke are both gone now.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sjrogers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »
I found a great picture of Mr. Stanlee in the book "The Story of Silver Dollar City" by Crystal Payton (pg. 100).  It has a little write up about Mr. Stanlee.  According to this book he passed away in 1997.
Steve