Author Topic: SDC Railroad  (Read 30228 times)

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Railroad
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 12:12:59 PM »
didn't the locomotive in question used to set behind the tintype studio and just to the right of the trestle as you headed down the path toward the former Tom Sawyers Landing. if so i remember playing on it with my brothers while my parents would stop and take a break or while waiting for the next saloon show. at least for a couple of years anyway then they put chains accross the entrance to the cab and all you could do was look at it . then it disappeared from that location and i believe it reappeared near the depot between the tracks and what used to be the petting zoo(which is where the carousel was until this last year.) which i believe is also it's current location. if so it's kinda neat to have had the chance to get that close to such an historic piece of equipment, not just as it pertains to SDC but as to it's previous owner Mr. Henry Ford
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2009, 02:19:52 PM »
One in the Same. It was parked across from the depot for years, moved to the tin types as a backdrop, then moved back to the depot later.
and sdcforever, I was not insulted at or upset, sorry if it came off that way. Just an encouragment for all reading to dig deep in the subjects threaded here. You may find somthing in an unlikly place ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:22:17 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 03:29:38 PM »
learn something new everyday, thanks Old Guy
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
Okay, let me apologize for not reading every post of every thread. I do know that there are some SDC employees that visit this site. Are there any of the conductors that read the posts? If so, I have a question for them. Will post the question after I find out.

SteamFreak

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »
There are a few who have done a few stints as conductors, and there are some of us who have a very good understanding of the trains and thier running.

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 01:03:19 PM »
Last year, there were several of us there in mid-May and had a blast with the crew. Even were invited back the following day and did receive some special attention. Crowds were very light and the group we were with tends to create our own fun. We definitely livened up some of the shows and attractions we attended. More than one occasion we had regular guests notice us from earlier in the park and ask us where we were heading because they wanted to be in the show we were going to be in.

I know it can be difficult for some of the employees doing the same thing, day after day, especially if the guests are just along for the ride and don't want to "participate".

We are going back this mid-May and just wanted to give a couple of the guys warning. When we were on the train the second day, we had fun with the Bolins so much that they asked the conductor to just shot them now so we could get out of there. People in the other cars seemed to have really enjoyed it.

And no, we didn't do anything that wasn't family friendly. We just have lots of fun.

Our hope is that we made such an impression that they remember us this year. It's happened before to us, even at places 750 miles away that we only get to once a year.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »
^Sounds like a good time. I also love interacting with the employees!  :D
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
My kids and I were on the first train ride of the season.  It was a Blast.   They got all flustered when the woman they picked as their ma said she was.  Then they had to make it up as they went...  Great times.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

SteamFreak

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2009, 11:02:47 PM »
Same thing today! Great show as always, I'm glad to see they're running No. 76 more, they ran the heck out of 13 when I was there last year.

SteamFreak

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2009, 12:30:45 PM »
Alright so I've been doing a bunch more research, and a bunch more talking to engineers and well, here's some "new history". The first locomotive on the line was a 1922 Davenport 0-4-OT from the Wayne County Board of Roads Commission. In 1962 it was converted into a 2-4-2 and a tender was added along with a diamond stack and other "wild west" fixtures. Numbered 76, the Davenport operated on the Frisco line (wearing Frisco "coonskin" heralds) until it was retired in the 1980s. (It was the display)

Several German engines, which are 60 centimeter gauge (close enough to operate on two-foot gauge track) are in use at Silver Dollar City. Two 1934 Orenstein & Koppellbuilt 0-4-OTs were purchased from Peter Buescher & Sohn of Mueater, Germany, in 1965. One of these, No.43, has been restored to service as a 2-4-OT and is in use today. A larger 1938 Orenstein & Koppell 2-4-OT, former Kies unit Schotterwerke Nordmark No. 13, is also in use and retains its large European-style cab. The newest engine on the roster is a 1940 2-4-OT built by KolbenDanek for Hans Vatter, AG., which carries the number 76. There is also a 1918 Henschel 0-4-OT in storage. All locomotives are painted red and carry the Frisco herald. Frisco aided the Herchends when they had problems laying track, the line was then re-named "The Frisco Silver Dollar Line"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »
Well you learn something new every day! Thanks Steam, Even if I don't understand a lick of that, I respect a person with knowledge of these things.

SteamFreak

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »
Thanks, someday I hope to put it to good use.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2009, 03:42:59 PM »
I understood the part about the years and I've heard the word "Frisco" before.  Still, I love that the history is recorded.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:51:26 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2009, 11:37:06 PM »
Boy it would be great to have a roster shot of all 4 locomotives at once. The 3 active German and the stored 0-4-0.    Are there 3 complete train sets?  Last time I rode you could tell the cars needed some TLC.  How about some photos in and around the roundhouse/engine shed?

SteamFreak

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 06:55:26 AM »
That's my special little project right now...we'll see...and no, there are only 2 sets of cars.