Author Topic: Christmas Lights  (Read 13307 times)

mike_kelly87

• View Profile
Re: Christmas Lights
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 10:30:53 PM »
Kind of off subject but, does anyone remember the first couple of years and how limited the access was in the park? You definitely could not go everywhere. I also rememebr the snow machine and and the sled rides.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 11:09:33 PM »
I was wrong, Christmas trees were found in American homes as early as the 1810s. By the 1850s most well-to-do families had incorporated them into their holiday celebrations. The Victorian period brought elaborate decorations to the trees. The first tree decorated with electric light bulbs belonged to an Edward Johnson in 1882. So, it is a stretch, but electric lights are “period” friendly to SDC. lol

LoveSDC

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »
Thanks for that info! That is awesome to know!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 07:19:28 PM »
Yes, but they were not brought into the American tradition until much later.  Having said that, they must, along with the lights, be a part of the SDC tradition.  Without the trees and lights, the park would have virtually no unique feel during the holiday season.

The folks that I used to pal around with at Legendary U (former home of the Herschends) once took me to a small room in the house with french doors.  This room was very important to Mary Herschend as it was where their Christmas tree was decorated.  One tradition the family had based on their Scandinavian heritage was to have Mary reveal the tree on Christmas Eve (I believe) but keep it hidden in this little room so no one could peek until then. 

I think the tradition of the Christmas tree and lights are very fitting for Silver Dollar City.

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 03:21:04 PM »
Kind of off subject but, does anyone remember the first couple of years and how limited the access was in the park? You definitely could not go everywhere. I also rememebr the snow machine and and the sled rides.

Yes, I remember all of that.  I think the snow machine and sled rides were only for the first year, but I could be wrong.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
^Correct.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

MattPaasch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 11:18:25 AM »
I've posted some of the lights from this years festival on my flickr account! Check it out! http://www.flickr.com/photos/23797713@N04/sets/72157609456886421/

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »
^They look great! I really hope I get to go this year.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »
^^Ah, it's so comforting to see the city decked out for the season! :)

Thanks for the pics!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 05:10:35 PM »
"Most Christmasy Places in America" on the Travel Channel features Branson and SDC.  The segment makes the first 10 minutes of the show and does a good job of capturing the season in our neck of the woods.  It's just a shame Branson couldn't have taken the whole hour.  Catch the show if you can.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »
"Most Christmasy Places in America" on the Travel Channel features Branson and SDC.  The segment makes the first 10 minutes of the show and does a good job of capturing the season in our neck of the woods.  It's just a shame Branson couldn't have taken the whole hour.  Catch the show if you can.

Wow, Travel Channel's website is a huge piece of crap. Searching for the show produces a summary, but no link to a show schedule. Checking their schedule lets me see the show on 12/10, but clicking the title produces nothing at all, least of all a list of times it can be seen.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 12:28:25 PM »
Sorry about that, KBC.  I just happened across the show.  I don't just spend time looking for shows that feature SDC.  In fact, I wouldn't recommend DVRing the thing - but if you're sitting at home with nothing to do, and you see the show on the menu, click over to it and watch the first 10 minutes.

lovemycondo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 06:38:08 AM »
The Travel Channel is showing the "Most Christmasy Places in America" on
12/17 8 AM, 4 PM, 10 PM
12/20 3 PM

Actually, we did DVR it so we could see it.   ;D
Merry Christmas,

SteamFreak

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 08:51:16 AM »
Just set my DVR...

It really is an amazing about of lights, I'm always so surprised and Impressed at the amount of detail that the lights cover.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 08:19:49 PM »
Wrapped up for the season, it seems they could have put a light scene in Echo Hollow since it is now so much more visible from the back porch of the C&A bldg.  I had no idea they put it under wraps like this.