Author Topic: Founder's Weekend  (Read 11291 times)

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Founder's Weekend
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »
Yes~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 04:34:56 AM »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 06:51:27 PM »
A bit late to post but here is my Founders Weekend trip. FWIW My father worked at the park from '68-'70 and personally knew the Hershends. It was great to meet with Jack, Sherry, JoDee and Pete and chatting with them.

The Founders Weekend Arm Band

Strolling the deserted park prior to opening with my father. The added benefit of the arm band.

At the lunch tent.

The 76 engine was running great!

Parade

And believe it or not, (maybe it was because it was founders weekend) but the random street performance skits were brought back.
Haven't seen this done in a very long time with my visits to the park.

I also spent some time chatting with Bruce Hershend, Molly (SDC Facebook Page Admin) and the lead marketing director of the park. (Greg was his name, I think) While discussion about the parks future got brought up, the SDC fans site was also mentioned (enthusiastically, may I say) and while this may not be news to some, they admitted that they have been paying attention to some of the discussions that go on here. So it could very well be possible that now or in the future some of the ideas and speculation brought out here will one day make it into reality if it is deemed "marketable" which is the key word they wanted to emphasize. They also seemed amused and quite dismissive about the notion that long standing attractions that many consider as "Staples" will be going anywhere anytime soon. They still seem to deeply care about the heritage of the park's themes and existing attractions and its overall history and have no intent on straying from that. This was very welcoming to hear IMO. They also seemed to be very grateful to the people on this site who have maintained such a deep concern and involvement with the parks growth as enthusiasts.

That is very encouraging to hear.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 09:26:09 PM »
Thelarsensix, thanks for the photos and report.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"