Author Topic: Founder's Weekend  (Read 11209 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Founder's Weekend
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 07:41:49 AM »
Great pictures..  IF they do this event next year, I may try to attend..  Even if it on a saturday ::)

pintrader

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 08:34:41 AM »
Thanks Sanddunerider!   Anytime I can see the history of SDC with a view of Jack & Pete, I try to do so.  I am with you on the Saturday ordeal.  The trouble is they always seem to schedule special events on Saturday knowing that is when they will get their best crowds.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 12:01:13 PM »
We went to Founders' Weekend. We were there Friday and Saturday. On Saturday we were there from before opening all the way through the Marty Stuart concert. Park was crowded both days but we didn't find it to be overwhelmingly so. Thought it was unusual that Powderkeg was down (we heard until Tuesday of this week) and the cave was closed.

We enjoyed the parade and the Marty Stuart concert. We were also able to get into all of the bluegrass shows we wanted to attend. Great weekend!

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 09:01:24 PM »
A bit late to post but here is my Founders Weekend trip. FWIW My father worked at the park from '68-'70 and personally knew the Hershends. It was great to meet with Jack, Sherry, JoDee and Pete and chatting with them.

The Founders Weekend Arm Band

Strolling the deserted park prior to opening with my father. The added benefit of the arm band.

At the lunch tent.

The 76 engine was running great!

Parade

And believe it or not, (maybe it was because it was founders weekend) but the random street performance skits were brought back.
Haven't seen this done in a very long time with my visits to the park.

I also spent some time chatting with Bruce Hershend, Molly (SDC Facebook Page Admin) and the lead marketing director of the park. (Greg was his name, I think) While discussion about the parks future got brought up, the SDC fans site was also mentioned (enthusiastically, may I say) and while this may not be news to some, they admitted that they have been paying attention to some of the discussions that go on here. So it could very well be possible that now or in the future some of the ideas and speculation brought out here will one day make it into reality if it is deemed "marketable" which is the key word they wanted to emphasize. They also seemed amused and quite dismissive about the notion that long standing attractions that many consider as "Staples" will be going anywhere anytime soon. They still seem to deeply care about the heritage of the park's themes and existing attractions and its overall history and have no intent on straying from that. This was very welcoming to hear IMO. They also seemed to be very grateful to the people on this site who have maintained such a deep concern and involvement with the parks growth as enthusiasts.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:06:12 PM by sdcfan88 »

pintrader

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 07:07:15 AM »
Really nice pictures sdcfan88!  After Jack & Pete are gone I hope they maintain that train of thought.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 07:41:23 AM »
Great Pics! Thanks.!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 08:52:51 AM »
I've always known we were being watched, but its good to hear they are listening too. Great that you got to speak with them!

Also good to hear more affirmation that the staples are staying. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:53:27 AM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 09:12:17 AM »
They still do the Street Shows a lot, usually after most Gazebo Stage shows, but only from Bluegrass and Barbeque thru National Harvest. They dont do them for Holiday or WorldFest festivals because they need more people to help with shows in Red Gold or Opera House. When they do the shows, I try to see them every time I go, if I remember.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:15:58 AM by Laroy »

OutlawRun

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »
Thanks sdcfan88 & Pintrader for the photos. 
You have a great past ahead of you!

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 02:12:12 PM »
A few I took for the boss~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Founder'Ts Weekend
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 09:18:58 PM »
Thanks for the pics!! It is very reassuring to know that our voices matter and are being heard!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 09:40:46 PM »
I have some pictures, but have not had time to post. Maybe by the weekend. Great to see all the photos...thanks!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 08:14:42 AM »
more great shots.. thanks, Tinman

looks like Shave may have to make a new photo album for Founders Weekend....

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »
Go to. You know your from Silver Dollar City. Facebook page to see some additional Founders' Day photos I placed online. It was a great day at the city last Saturday, good to see old friends!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 06:21:34 AM »
Is this the correct page that always gets mentioned on here?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1423424644571459?tsid=0.9609802963159484&source=typeahead

Go to. You know your from Silver Dollar City. Facebook page to see some additional Founders' Day photos I placed online. It was a great day at the city last Saturday, good to see old friends!