Author Topic: Hurricane Ike and SDC  (Read 2504 times)

DocSpeleo

Hurricane Ike and SDC
« on: September 19, 2008, 11:18:34 PM »
So I waited a week to see what the group would hear about the hurricane damage to the city... and nothing! lol

so here it is....

The hurricane dumped tons of water and whipped the trees around on park Saturday night into Sunday Morning (14th & 15th)
The cave flooded!  It was an awesome flood, so much water that you could see it from the shoe room and that's very uncommon.
We conducted half tours for the day and by the end of the day the water began to recede.

Now onto park opening... we were to open Sunday at 9:30.. Well, when I arrived for cave inspection at 8:15 the big metal doors to the Hospitality House were closed and sounds of chainsaws were everywhere....

The big big tree next to Molly's Mine was knocked over onto the building.  It didn't damage the building but it did take out the covering over the doorway.  There is a great void there where the tree used to be...
The park stayed closed until this tree was removed.. all maintenance men were taken off any other duties and sent to the tree!

Some trees fell over near the Church, messed up the well over there.  Also some trees fell onto or around the American Plunge.  The ride was closed until later in the day.

The tree was finally removed and gate opened at 11am!

so ......  theres the most recent city news...

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Ike and SDC
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 07:46:20 AM »
I can't believe there was that much damage.  My brother lives in Houston and did not gett that much damage.  I hope you got pics of the Flooded cave and the tree removal for us  :).....  I hope to be back to SDC in the next few weeks.  I will have to look for the missing trees then.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »
That's surprising. It poured down rain at our house that weekend too but there was no damage. Must've rained harder in Branson....

It's good to hear that no buildings were damaged too bad and no one was hurt though.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 04:15:37 PM »
Wow!  They really kept it quiet.  There was nothing in the news about damage to the park.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »
DocSpeleo told me about this when I met him this weekend.  I took the picture below, thinking it looks like a newly cut tree with sawdust around the base.  This tree was close to the blacksmith forge and is disguised as a part of the landscaping.

Perhaps this stack of ladders (behind the Wagon Wheel of Fortune) is another sign of tree-cutting activity.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:42:27 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »
^Very clever.  They've definitely been busy cleaning up the damage.