Author Topic: If FM Is Leaving, What Does Its Last Season Look Like?  (Read 29549 times)

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
Re: If FM Is Leaving, What Does Its Last Season Look Like?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »
If you really think big about it....maybe take the water out and make is a 3D sim ride?  Idk how much of the existing ride could be really used if it turn 3D though. 

You would have to rename and retheme it if the water was taken out.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 12:09:34 PM »
I am of a different view than most people here. I remember the flooded mine before it was a shootout. To me they killed the spirit of the ride when that change was made. The last time I rode on July 4th this year a lot of things were not working. No music or sound at all. It made for a very generic experience. As much as I hate to see it go, it has very low ridership. It is a walk on most days. And if the park is not going to maintain it then it would be better to bring on something new. I know my memories are of a ride with much more than what it is now.

Now to answer the OP question. It would be great if they had a last year fling for the old boy. I don't buy tshirts or most junk , so I would prefer them to maybe auction off parts or props. Maybe even giveaways for season pass holders or Facebook followers.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 12:54:11 PM »
I will be very sad if they remove it.  I loved it better before the shootout stuff was added, also.  I don't want another older park attraction to leave.  Before long, the park will only be a memory of what it used to be.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 02:59:53 PM »
My thoughts exactly Gilligan.  SDC will lose it's identity if they start losing all the classics.  If all they want to offer are roller coasters, then they will effectively cut their audience in half.  If you like roller coasters, that's fine.  My problem is everyone wants to throw out the classics like FM, GM and FITH only to put in another coaster.  SDC has 5 coasters already.  Let's give a little love to the classics that got them to where they are now.  Personally, I think they need to ditch AP and bring back the Jim Owen Float Trip.  In it's glory, that was a pretty cool ride.  Highly themed and just a fun little ride that grandma and grandpa could experience with their grandkids much like FM.  Think about how awesome FITH, FM, GM AND the Float Trip would be if they invested the amount of money it took to put in OR.

Ok...now I'll step off the soap box.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
FM was one of the rides I worked at, in 81 and 82. Fun times wearing the stripes!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 07:42:32 PM »
This is a very important ride because it's dark and quiet and Mom's love it because you can take a baby in there and by the end of the ride they are usually asleep.  Happened many times to our children and my wife has praised the ride ever since!  And we love the shootout part.
I'm Your Huckleberry

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
I would be so sad to see it go. Its something we always ride. Sometimes twice in a row. Its cool, quiet and a great reprieve from my aching feet. Its a classic. You dont kill grandma because she is getting up there in age. Why would you do that to FM, FITH, or AP? I feel it would be best suited to really dump some cash into these iconic rides that began it. Its a part of SDC history. Its as much of a heartbeat as the big coasters. It touches many walks of life. The only problem I forsee in updating all of these rides would be the wheelchair access rule. I am all for it but will they want to spend so much? It would be hard to loose FM. But to loose it to an upgraded FM thats not a 3D simulator or mine ride would be wonderful.

Silver Dollar City is not our SDC of the past. Lets face it friends, its a changin. Progress is a coming, like it or not. We are losing what it was just like our grandparents lost what it was to them when SDC first opened. My son does not share the same type of love I do. He loves it for different reasons but the love is there all the same. And this thought gives me pause. The beautiful values are still there. The grand music is flowing. Our memories are alive. This fan site proves it so. If progress does come, lets pray it goes the way it should. To go in the direction of big theme and back story. Progress can be good. Thats if it is done in the correct way.

I wish whomever is making the decision good luck. FM proves some big shoes that will need to be filled. It will be hard to follow. I mourn the loss and look forward to whats to come.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
I am of a different view than most people here. I remember the flooded mine before it was a shootout. To me they killed the spirit of the ride when that change was made. ... I know my memories are of a ride with much more than what it is now.
Your view is exactly like mine. Under the original script, FM was a place of mystery and enchantment and discovery. Since it became a shootout, the details and suspense might as well not exist.  >:(

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 10:35:03 PM »
If FM is leaving, I don't think it will be this year. I've heard from people that this year won't be a "rides" year and they will probably just do renovations and upgrades throughout the park. They might close it after next season, but I feel they should keep it until its 50th birthday which would be 2018.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 06:17:06 AM »
Probably way off base, but I don't see them going into the middle of the park to do something next..  I look for an "addition" to the FL area. Whether it incorporates the WB area, or goes across the street to the Riverfront Playhouse/Boatworks Theatre area.  Seems to be so much repair/maint needed, its almost as if they are ignoring that area for now?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:58:25 AM by sanddunerider »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
Probably way off base, but I don't see them going into the middle of the park to do something next..  I look for an "addition" to the FL area. Whether it incorporates the WB area, or goes across the street to the Riverfront Playhouse/Boatworks Theatre area.  Seems to be so much repair/maint needed, its almost as if they are ignoring that area for now?

Actually it would not take much to hop the tracks and include TFM into a major attraction with the Playhouse Theater and WB area. If that was done it could be something huge.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 09:48:55 AM »
Probably way off base, but I don't see them going into the middle of the park to do something next.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 10:57:13 AM »
I got Off Topic...forgot this was for the Flooded Mine comments.....

SORRY,  I deleted my post and reposted accordingly..

(Admin, tried to delete didn't work, please leave it or delete it, I reposted under 2016 and future developments.).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:02:23 AM by sanddunerider »

The Outlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »
I don't see Flooded Mine leaving. I don't know what else could go in it's space. If anything, they'll completely redo the ride, but I don't see that happening soon. It's a classic, it's for the whole family, and it's one of SDC's signature non-coaster rides.

As for the comments about "You could go anywhere to ride coasters": that's true, but SDC has an exceptional line-up. Outlaw Run is spectacular and is, in my opinion, the best coaster in the midwest, if not the country. Powder Keg is incredible, and there is no family launched coaster that really compares. Wildfire is the least unique coaster at the park, as it's your standard B&M looper, but it's still exceptional. Thunderation is one of the best mine trains out there.

But yes, SDC is not just about the coasters. It's about the atmosphere, the theming, the friendliness of the employees, the craftsmen, the shows, etc. The park is the whole package. Is Flooded Mine a part of that package? Yes. Do I see it leaving soon? Like I said earlier, no. But if I'm wrong and it does leave, the park still has plenty of unique attractions to offer.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
Things are not like they used be at the park. If the brothers played a more active role in the park like they used to, then I'd agree with you that Flooded Mine has 0 chance of leaving, but the current practice by the park's board says otherwise.  The current practice is that once something nears the end of its shelf life, you rip it out completely and build new. Here, I'll give you some examples.

Aunt Molly's Chicken - completely removed to build new Crossroads Pizza
Geyser Gulch - Fireman's Landing
Tom Sawyer's Landing - RiverBlast and Half Dollar Holler

They also completely raze areas when building stuff too
Wilson's Farm
Grand Exposition
Outlaw Run
Fireman's Landing

In closing, is there a chance that Flooded Mine might be around for a much longer time?  Sure.  Is it more likely that the stripped down boats from the ride on the backlot are a bad omen of things to come? Completely.

For the record, I don't want it to go. It is a must ride for me every trip.  But even I can notice things are disappearing when they break instead of getting fixed.
SWOOSH