Author Topic: Things That Should Never Be Done at Silver Dollar City  (Read 33340 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Things That Should Never Be Done at Silver Dollar City
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 11:45:41 AM »
Not sure what you mean as country...If oldies means 1950s-80s music, then no, it does not fit the theme.  If oldies means bluegrass, then I believe that fits theme of the part.  In many cases, the themes expressed in country music can fit with the wholesomeness of the City more so than the themes expressed in oldies or in current popular music.  When I am enjoying the natural setting of Silver Dollar City, I do not want to hear about a Little Deuce Coup or your experience with some Good Vibrations.  Play me some mountain music, something that will enhance the setting and not clash with it.

It occurs to me that Silver Dollar City has multiple themes:

-The Beauty of Nature
-The Historicity of the Region
-The Family
-General Christian Faith
-The Ingenuity of Humanity
-Patriotic Expression
-Precedence and Tradition

Any music (and again, any other attraction on the grounds) must fit within this framework.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
Too bad! Everybody loves Oldies! And yes i mean 50s thru 80s. Its closer to 1880 than country is! Plus The Ozark Mountain Daredevils grew up in the area and they are an Oldie band. I dont know why they are not playing them! If they really liked that area, then they need to play some Ozark Mountain Daredevils songs, and Oldies, which are closer to 1880. Country wasnt in 1880 and i dont want to hear it! Its annoying! They are not suppose to have beer in the park. There were no big pickup trucks back then!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:51:55 AM by Laroy »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 11:53:23 AM »
^And that's fine to like that kind of music, Laroy, but like History Buff is saying they are trying to recreate the fantasy of you being in an 1880 Ozarks Village- albeit one that is also a theme park.  Walking through the streets listening to Journey or Styx does not go with that 1880s theme.  A lot of us would be thrilled if we only had Bluegrass/Mountain music at SDC.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 12:22:52 PM »
Its about 2 things: Money and what the majority of the people want. They are suppose to do a mix like everybody else because it makes everybody happy by everybody hearing something that they like. I also think Mumford and sons would be a great band to bring because its a folk, rock band that kinda sounds country because if the banjos. They would fit in because theyre songs are not much different from the ozark mountain songs. I think they should come during the bluegrass festival. Also matt kearney because they already have preachers, christian rock bands, and christian rappers for young christians day anyway, so he would fit right in because its called YOUNG christians day. As well as skillet.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »
Well maybe a little older than styx then...and like i said, stop saying no to everything. Give everything a chance.

And duelist, then i say, dont play anything at all because none of this was back in the 1880s anyway, but oldies is a lot closer.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 12:29:17 PM by Laroy »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »
I wasn't referring to different acts they bring in to play festivals but the music you're hearing over the different speakers hidden around the park (which they do an excellent job of disguising).  That music should be (and for the most part is) bluegrass/mountain music.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
What about funny things. What about Tim Hawkins because he is a christian comedian, or Jeff Foxworthy, and Bill Engvall, because they go with the "country" thing that you want.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 06:42:47 PM »
Things That Should Never Be Done at Silver Dollar City:

The Sons of the Silver Dollar should never wear spandex!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 07:04:29 PM »
They are suppose to play Oldies. They need to play them the most, but anything is better than country. I would rather hear nothing, than hear country. Because hearing nothing would be a lot less annoying.
Have to disagree with you. Country and bluegrass is what it is all about. The oldies were fine for Celebration City and I like them, but they do not fit the theme or culture of SDC.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:09:28 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 08:57:33 PM »
Against my better judgement, I'm going to step in here. Oldies may be technically "closer" to the 1880's because the songs were made in the 60's, 70's whatever but I have a hard time picturing how Led Zeppelin could power their amps, double bass, keyboards, etc considering there was no electricity. And yes, I know country music now is far from acoustic but I think a lot of it could have been played "back then". At the very least country has its roots in bluegrass and the westward expansion of America.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
As for the music aspect in my view. I do not like Bluegrass or Country but it fits the park so I can enjoy it while I am there. Will I ever show up for the Bluegrass festival ? NO. Will I ever show up for the Gospel Festival? Again NO, but i can enjoy it in the background while I enjoy my day.

As for rock and rap I think the Demographics for when they play that, the moonlight madness events are more geared toward the younger group. So they can enjoy that during that time. Correct me if I am wrong but most of the old timey stuff is not open during these event, so really it is just a special event per say. The daily music shows do not interest me but I do enjoy hearing them as we move from place to place in the park.

I guess what I am saying is that even though I do not like that kind of music. It belongs because it more correctly fits the theme and I like that.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »
If the park so badly wants to play oldies/pop music during Moonlight Madness, maybe they should consider bluegrass covers:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpy7OpTbjVU2gzJ0II62Y8EVgZEykuHeY

Other than that, NO. Oldies and pop music do NOT belong at SDC. SDC is themed to the 1880s, which means bluegrass and classic (not most current) country are the music types that should be played.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:55:28 PM by Joy »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 02:18:31 PM »
The Cleverly's "I Kissed a Girl" gets me rollin' every time.

more Cleverness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLl0W21OnnY

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 10:37:25 PM »
Haven't posted for awhile but I have been lurking, and I'm sorry if I'm breaking board rules Shave but it's time for Preachin' Bill to do some Preachin...

If somebody gets anything that he/she wants it will be a bad deal for SDC.  Music should be old bluegrass only.  Banjos and fiddles.  No oldies.  And I love oldies rock.  No bumper cars, ferris wheels, or anything that would make SDC look like a county or state fair.  We already have county or state fairs that do all those things.  Just go to those if that's what you want.

SDC needs to look, feel, and sound like 1880 as much as possible.  The only thing that should be different is the fact that there were no roller coasters in the 1880's.  If properly themed, any coaster would work.  Bumper boats and go carts are already in Branson.  Places that play rock or oldies are everywhere, too.  SDC thrives on being different than anywhere else, and it needs to stay that way.  And I say that as a "young'n".

Heck, as far as music goes, they could just play the Fire in the Hole theme on loop throughout the park and that would be better than some of the ideas I've seen on here.  Even get out some Grandpaw Jones from Hee Haw and that would be better.  The theme of 1880s is what built this park and made it last as long as it has.  You can go anywhere and get coasters with modern things and themes.  You can't find what SDC offers anywhere else and they need to remember and recognize that.

So, what things should NEVER be done at SDC?  Look on these threads at what a certain poster has been saying and put those in bold and highlight them.  Those are the things that should never be done, and anything else that would make SDC a giant carnival or state fair, or anything that would take the 1880s theme away from the park.  It has slipped far enough...NO MORE.

End rant.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:46:26 PM by Preachin_Bill »
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 07:55:33 AM »
And, that's a right on sermon, Preachin Bill!