Author Topic: Things That Should Never Be Done at Silver Dollar City  (Read 33389 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Things That Should Never Be Done at Silver Dollar City
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Haven't posted for awhile but I have been lurking, and I'm sorry if I'm breaking board rules Shave but it's time for Preachin' Bill to do some Preachin...

If somebody gets anything that he/she wants it will be a bad deal for SDC.  Music should be old bluegrass only.  Banjos and fiddles.  No oldies.  And I love oldies rock.  No bumper cars, ferris wheels, or anything that would make SDC look like a county or state fair.  We already have county or state fairs that do all those things.  Just go to those if that's what you want.

SDC needs to look, feel, and sound like 1880 as much as possible.  The only thing that should be different is the fact that there were no roller coasters in the 1880's.  If properly themed, any coaster would work.  Bumper boats and go carts are already in Branson.  Places that play rock or oldies are everywhere, too.  SDC thrives on being different than anywhere else, and it needs to stay that way.  And I say that as a "young'n".

Heck, as far as music goes, they could just play the Fire in the Hole theme on loop throughout the park and that would be better than some of the ideas I've seen on here.  Even get out some Grandpaw Jones from Hee Haw and that would be better.  The theme of 1880s is what built this park and made it last as long as it has.  You can go anywhere and get coasters with modern things and themes.  You can't find what SDC offers anywhere else and they need to remember and recognize that.

So, what things should NEVER be done at SDC?  Look on these threads at what a certain poster has been saying and put those in bold and highlight them.  Those are the things that should never be done, and anything else that would make SDC a giant carnival or state fair, or anything that would take the 1880s theme away from the park.  It has slipped far enough...NO MORE.

End rant.

This does't fit the theme of Wilson's Farm or the Outlaw Run area? Or would have rounded out the overall theme of Outlaw Run

I prebolded it .  ;D

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:17:03 AM by chittlins »

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »
Why not? How would it be bad? Lets go to the Your Attraction Ideas page and continue this there. Horses are the theme of Outlaw Run. Wouldnt another horse or bull themed ride make it better? I mean, after all, it is called "Wilson's Farm"!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:35:00 PM by Laroy »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2015, 02:30:52 PM »
Yet another recurring discussion here: the difference between true "theme" and decoration. I'd love to see a Ferris wheel at SDC - one fashioned after the StL World's Fair version and placed in GE. The one pictured above, however, is kinda tacky and is something you'd expect to see at Frontier City or a fun fair. It's decorated with "western" paraphernalia, but it doesn't really contribute to it's surroundings much. We expect a lot more from SDC, that's why it's worth going to. There's a lot of rides you can theoretically work into the city, but it takes more effort than that, or why bother driving to Branson. That's really what should never be done at SDC: to not give enough effort or thought into a new ride.

The bull bumper cars could probably work in a well themed building though. It always comes down to the level of detail and thought put into it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:36:10 PM by shavethewhales »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2015, 02:45:11 PM »
Yet another recurring discussion here: the difference between true "theme" and decoration. I'd love to see a Ferris wheel at SDC - one fashioned after the StL World's Fair version and placed in GE. The one pictured above, however, is kinda tacky and is something you'd expect to see at Frontier City or a fun fair. It's decorated with "western" paraphernalia, but it doesn't really contribute to it's surroundings much. We expect a lot more from SDC, that's why it's worth going to. There's a lot of rides you can theoretically work into the city, but it takes more effort than that, or why bother driving to Branson. That's really what should never be done at SDC: to not give enough effort or thought into a new ride.

The bull bumper cars could probably work in a well themed building though. It always comes down to the level of detail and thought put into it.

If it belonged In Frontier City it would have parrots on it.

There are five coworkers of mine that regularly go to the park. I showed all five those rides and basically took an informal poll. All five approved especially where I told them where they would go. I also asked if they looked more theme park like or midway, They all said Theme park. I asked if they needed even more and they said they were fine.  They also all have children that would ride these rides.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:54:18 PM by chittlins »

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »
What do you mean, if it was in Frontier City, it would have parrots on it? The only ride that might have a parrot is the Prairie Schooner (the big ship).

Ok, since us 3 are approved this, hopefully it will go through with everybody else and into the park. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:55:26 PM by Laroy »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, 04:59:21 PM »
^^lol, to be fair, I'm pretty sure they repainted the parrots to be hawks by now. They were on the flyers that they got at the last minute last year when another property apparently dumped the contract or something.

I get the reaction from the co-workers. To most people SDC is just another park and they've never put a whole lot of consideration into the differences between it and any other park, if they've even been to another comparable park to compare it to. A lot of the effects of SDC's great atmosphere and theming is subconscious. The guests appreciate that it's a more wholesome experience even if they don't recognize it immediately. I think there are a whole bunch of subtle effects at play here, where SDC has a definite interest in setting themselves apart from the rest so that casual patrons will still place the park in a different category of entertainment than a typical SF park.

And as far as kids are concerned, show them any ride and they'll be excited.  ;)

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 05:26:09 PM »
True Shave, but I dont think Ive seen any fake hawks around either. Ive seen fake crows though.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:28:26 PM by Laroy »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »
Haven't posted for awhile but I have been lurking, and I'm sorry if I'm breaking board rules Shave but it's time for Preachin' Bill to do some Preachin...

If somebody gets anything that he/she wants it will be a bad deal for SDC.  Music should be old bluegrass only.  Banjos and fiddles.  No oldies.  And I love oldies rock.  No bumper cars, ferris wheels, or anything that would make SDC look like a county or state fair.  We already have county or state fairs that do all those things.  Just go to those if that's what you want.

SDC needs to look, feel, and sound like 1880 as much as possible.  The only thing that should be different is the fact that there were no roller coasters in the 1880's.  If properly themed, any coaster would work.  Bumper boats and go carts are already in Branson.  Places that play rock or oldies are everywhere, too.  SDC thrives on being different than anywhere else, and it needs to stay that way.  And I say that as a "young'n".

Heck, as far as music goes, they could just play the Fire in the Hole theme on loop throughout the park and that would be better than some of the ideas I've seen on here.  Even get out some Grandpaw Jones from Hee Haw and that would be better.  The theme of 1880s is what built this park and made it last as long as it has.  You can go anywhere and get coasters with modern things and themes.  You can't find what SDC offers anywhere else and they need to remember and recognize that.

So, what things should NEVER be done at SDC?  Look on these threads at what a certain poster has been saying and put those in bold and highlight them.  Those are the things that should never be done, and anything else that would make SDC a giant carnival or state fair, or anything that would take the 1880s theme away from the park.  It has slipped far enough...NO MORE.

End rant.

Amen!!!
I'm Your Huckleberry

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 06:13:17 PM »
^^lol, to be fair, I'm pretty sure they repainted the parrots to be hawks by now. They were on the flyers that they got at the last minute last year when another property apparently dumped the contract or something.

I get the reaction from the co-workers. To most people SDC is just another park and they've never put a whole lot of consideration into the differences between it and any other park, if they've even been to another comparable park to compare it to. A lot of the effects of SDC's great atmosphere and theming is subconscious. The guests appreciate that it's a more wholesome experience even if they don't recognize it immediately. I think there are a whole bunch of subtle effects at play here, where SDC has a definite interest in setting themselves apart from the rest so that casual patrons will still place the park in a different category of entertainment than a typical SF park.

And as far as kids are concerned, show them any ride and they'll be excited.  ;)

It's not just another park, it is their park. The one they go to every year. Six Flags or Worlds is the one they may go to once or twice over a period of ten years. They know the difference. Sometimes I think we are the 30 caption not the rule but we aren't. There's a board for every major park out there full of fans  bemoaning how it's going to the crapper.and isn't what it used to be and how it's not detailed like it used to be And how things on the rides are broke. Don't get a Disney purist started about the broke Yeti on Everest when all I saw was one of the most themed and detailed rides you'll see. You will see them whine to high heavens about the carny rides and games yet my kids had a blast in that area. It's no different here. We must realize that 90 percent of those that go through the gates aren't us and don't care much about the things we do. Truthfully, we should be happy we get the effort we do.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 06:20:02 PM »
^ But if we don't constantly critisize or praise the theme (or lack thereof) who will?  Of course they do a very good job in keeping it but we're the diehard fans that remind them when we feel it has been broken.  I'd rather speak up than for them to think that we're ok with whatever shows up in the park.
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
There's a board for every major park out there full of fans  bemoaning how it's going to the crapper.and isn't what it used to be and how it's not detailed like it used to be And how things on the rides are broke. Don't get a Disney purist started about the broke Yeti on Everest when all I saw was one of the most themed and detailed rides you'll see. You will see them whine to high heavens about the carny rides and games yet my kids had a blast in that area. It's no different here. We must realize that 90 percent of those that go through the gates aren't us and don't care much about the things we do. Truthfully, we should be happy we get the effort we do.

Yeah I get it, I don't think we're really saying anything too differently here. I personally don't think the ferris wheel you're picturing is a good example of a well thought-out addition, but I always respect that someone could have a different opinion. I've really been trying to get people to stand up and notice the effort the park has put into Fireman's Landing because I really think that overall it's an example of everything the park should be doing to carry into the next generation. In fact, I've lauded pretty much every addition to the park with the exception of GE. There some stuff there that should theoretically "never be done at SDC", but on the other hand the level of detail, character, and atmosphere is definitely ten steps above any other park I know - and it makes a big difference.

I agree with Duelist in that it's important for fans to make continual constructive criticism. It's important for people to stop and pay attention to the things they really appreciate about the places they live and visit. It's the same discussion I have all the time on city forums about getting people to attend and speak up at city government events. The park has always made a great effort to listen to guests, and if you look at how Fireman's Landing was handled it's easy to see how they worked to appease a multitude of guest types at once. There's certainly a line between useful criticism and bitching, but all-in-all we do a pretty good job here, I think.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 10:45:37 PM »
As always Shave, you are right. Ever since they started the construction on FL, I have watched it very closely. I saw a lot of detail going into it. All the metal beam supports, wood, insulation, windows, water pipes, the new place where they moved the lil swings to, which looked like a small pool or hot tub at first, etc. I also saw they were very carefully taking down every piece of GG, like they wanted to reuse them in another park.

If we dont speak up, who will? NOBODY! Sometimes you have to grab life by the horns and ride it because nobody else will. I hate seeing our favorite rides like FITH getting worse and worse. It breaks my heart that they wont fix them, rebuild them to make them better than they were when they were built, and add new stuff from this century, like audio animatronics. It breaks my heart that it seems like I am the only one who cares, when im in line. But, there is a VERY THICK line between wanting our old rides rebuilt/upgraded (aka criticism) and bitching (saying everything stinks just because everything doesnt look like "Disney").
By the way, say that last line like Eddie Murphy. It sounds funny.

I dont mean to be a harsh critic. I just want all of our stuff back that way it was and better. I dont think that is too much to ask. Stuff gets broken and rotted over time.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:05:43 PM by Laroy »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2015, 11:49:19 PM »
When we went during Spring Break, though, I felt myself saying, after visiting GE and FL in rapid succession, "Oh hey, now we are entering Silver Dollar City."
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
When we went during Spring Break, though, I felt myself saying, after visiting GE and FL in rapid succession, "Oh hey, now we are entering Silver Dollar City."

I feel that, also!

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 05:33:52 PM »
The ferris wheel and bumper cars chittlins posted are, in my opinion, cheap and trashy and are almost a caricature of the themeing of SDC and should not be brought to SDC.  If you must, bury it deep in the GE where I won't have to worry about seeing it.  ;D
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.