Author Topic: 2015 Trip Reviews  (Read 70595 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: 2015 Trip Reviews
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »
Typically there are two.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
Was at the City yesterday, and there were the two robbers as always. Matter of fact, on our ride we had a female Ralphie. Nice little change to a skit I've seen before.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2015, 09:14:12 PM »
It was dead yesterday - they only had to use the first two parking lots. There was a chance of rain forecast, and they did shut everything down from 4-6:30 due to lightning in the area, but I never even saw a drop. I hope someday they can ease up on that rain policy - it's really driving people away when even a tiny passing rain cloud can shut the park down for hours. All of Branson in general wasn't too crowded though, and it seems like most of the people who did come where there for fireworks and lake activities...

I spent most of my time following my 3 year old nephew around. It's actually gotten to the point where it's pretty much impossible to do everything he wants to do in a single day. They've got his age range really well covered. I had poked my head into FL before, but this is the first time I had reason to actually experience it with a kid in the primary target age. I think it's still a tremendously under-appreciated addition that deserves more attention that it has gotten. I'm feeling more and more confident in saying it's got to be the best designed kids area outside of Disney or Universal. I hope it wins a Golden Ticket this year.

Noticed a lot of TLC in various places as well, they've even touched up some of the hand painted signs in some areas. We rode Flooded Mine a number of times and it was looking great as usual - still notice new details on every ride.

We saw the Globetrotters show, and while it was much different than what I was imagining, it was fun. I was expecting more tricks and showmanship, but mostly it's 30 mins of them interacting with the crowd and various audience members. I'm interested in seeing what projection the Globetrotters take after this year, seems like a ton of potential there.

After experiencing a number of new parks this summer from across the U.S., coming back to SDC really makes me appreciate what we have. They still do everything right!

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
I was out there too. Did anybody see me? They expected a lot of people on the rides when they opened, because it was the day after July 4th and part of a July 4 weekend. They had 2 trains or arms running on every ride (except the train and FITH. FITH had 3). Pretty much every ride had no line because of the 2 trains. Powder Keg opened about 45 mins after chain drop and closed down 15 min later. Opened again about 1:30. Nobody knew why it closed. Wildfire closed at 1:30 to put a train away. When it started beeping, I said, What is that? Oh ya, thats the switch track. Then, went to GBS I saw OR train was stuck on the hill, so I went and got pics. Ive only ever seen this in pics online, never happened when Im there until now. Once I got a pic from the exit ramp, I heard 3 beeps and the chain started again. They said they saw someone had their phone out, so they had to grab it from the person. Most people were in line for the train. Saw the 1:30 Street Show, went to GE, and talked to the Woman running Wings of Wonder.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2015, 10:01:14 PM »
Went to the City with the wife and her 19 year old niece on
Friday 10th. Started from blacksmith shop and worked our way around. Had a good time with the rides but the BIGGEST  EVENT was being able to ride Outlaw Run!!!
Losing that 30 pounds really made my day.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2015, 10:26:17 PM »
Congrats, oldsdcer! What did you think of OR?

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2015, 10:50:05 PM »
First time I have been able to ride it since its opening day. They changed the restraints and then I was too big. Got on the mission to lose the weight, and my doctor told me to change my diet to prevent diabetes. But I did it, didn't get kick off this time and it was as awsome as ever!
SDC has always made a great past to remember

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2015, 09:36:30 PM »
Oldsdcer thats a great story.  I battle the bulge myself and can always tell how I am doing by whether my butt fits in the TNT seat, its kind of molded to the form and if it fits I am feeling good.  If not I have to start skipping the funnel cake!

t-n-t

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »
I was able to somehow sneak on OR myself, at 6'4 320lbs, I wasn't sure I could but I did.  I rode it once, havent tried since due to the fact I may not fit this next time. I need to use that as inspiration myself. I have rode all the other rides in the past 2 weeks, just a little tight on OR and powderkeg.  I know the seat I can be in on Wildfire so that doesn't bother me.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2015, 01:42:50 PM »
Just finished a week long trip in Branson for 10U Softball World Series. I don't know why, maybe because of all the growth from the rain, but hillsides and everything just seemed more full, clean and beautiful. There are a couple areas that need work, but overall I thought Branson looked better.

We had opening ceremonies on Monday night in Echo Hollow, it was humid and hot, but we stil had a load of fun. SDC is a great host and the kids loved hitting the huge beach balls all around the theater. The Harlem Globetrotters were the entertainment and I couldn't tell you how many of our girls didn't know who they were.....after the show they were interested in learning more, but I was really surpised on how many had no clue.

Maybe I'm getting older, but I just really had a great time this week. We stayed at Pointe Royal and the condo was nice as was the pool. We spent a lot of time here and at the Branson Rec Plex for games. On some of our free time, we went to Branson Landing and had a great time (bought some strawberry basalmic vinegar and lots of candy). Watched the fountains and fire, and walked around. I had been to the landing several times before, but this time was the most pleasent.

Other nights we did go carts, outlet mall, Pasghetti's and Tequila's 2. I was pleasently surprised by Pasghetti's, this is now one of our go to resturants when in town - we all enjoyed our dinner very much. I thought it was going to be more of a "kid" place, but I was wrong. There is a little kid section, but nothing that would make it like an Incredible Pizza or D&B. Tequila's 2 food was very good, but their service wasn't all that great, but it wasn't horrid either....if you wanted or needed anything, you had to ask, it was not just brought to you.

Most of our time was spent at the ball fields, or waiting at the condo between games, but on Wednesday we did get to go to Silver Dollar City. This too was a great time - but with a big group it does make it challenging. My thoughts on Fireman's landing: it looks good and it is perfect for the young ones. My group was made up of 10/11 year old girls so we did not spend much time in there at all...nor did we spend much time in the Grand Expo. They loved Fire in the Hole, Outlaw Run, Wildfire, American Plunge, Thunderation, and Lost River. These rides they would just return into the line time and time again. Poweder Keg was having issues, but they didn't seem interested for some reason. We had a little down time because of lightning, so I took them to make candles. Several of the girls, even though they come often, had no clue that shop was even at the park (this is something my family does every visit). The park looked great, the ride operators were doing a great job, and I really enjoyed myself (just wished we had even more time).

Anyway, we finished second in Nationals on Saturday, did a quick jaunt at the outlet mall, then headed home. I was a little disappointed in the Outlet Mall, just because it seems like there are not the deals that used to be at these places. The stores are not outlets anymore, just specality stores. When you pick up a pair of shorts at Nike and they are still over $40 bucks, and I can purchase them less at my local sporting goods store, I may not have a reason to return here in the future.

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »
Cowboy,  sounds like a good trip.
Grats on the 2nd place finish,
And Your right about the (retail) Outlet Mall....

warp9p65

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2015, 08:56:57 PM »
Got to the park early today.  Enjoyed the wonderful breakfast buffet at Molly's, then attended church service.  By 11:30 it was just too hot for me, so headed back home.  Looking forward to some cooler temps. later on.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »

Got to the park early today.  Enjoyed the wonderful breakfast buffet at Molly's, then attended church service.  By 11:30 it was just too hot for me, so headed back home.  Looking forward to some cooler temps. later on.

Yep, looking forward to fall temperatures too ;D

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2015, 11:39:56 AM »
I have been several times this year... Once right before World Fest Started, World Fest, BBQ and Bluesgrass and then again for Star Spangled Summer. One of the things I noticed during Star Spangled Summer trip (June 20 - 21) is that most of the employees were VERY young. It seemed like everywhere they had jettisoned the older workers for entry level employees. It was not like this in May when we came. It was VERY hot when we went so perhaps the older employees were just taking the days off, but it was just strange. There were also several "english as a second language" workers... Which kind of took away the "down home" feeling of everything

While I am not exactly one who likes to be around older people (I am 43), it was strange to me to see so many young people running everything. Was starting to remind me of Six Flags or places of that ilk where they go through people left and right. Whereas I have been going to SDC for 40 years and often have seen the same people doing the same things for many year stretches.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this just the way it is going to be in Today's economy? I mean, younger people have fewer health issues so health insurance and all not as important... they also usually have less expenses so don't need as much to get by. I don't know... was all just kind of sad to me. Hopefully this was a one time thing and when we go back in Sept. all will be back to "normal"

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »
Braved the heat yesterday and visited the city.  Numbers were pretty light (probably since it was hotter than hades outside) and the opening only had 3-4 vets in attendance.  Still had a great time, and still loved the City, however, I noticed several things around the city that upset me some.  First of all, someone really needs to get inside the toll booth at the bridge and clean out the weeds that are growing inside.  That looks bad and a sign of not having much pride.  After catching the Saloon show (which is always great) we made our way to FITH only to find that the outside monologue was not playing.  I really miss the music when walking up to the entrance.  I know we talk about it a lot on here, but somebody is going to have to step up and give FITH a little love.  I'm not talking spending thousands and thousands of dollars either.  You give me one hour and a roll of black plastic and you'll be amazed at the improvement.  It's pretty sad when you see all the "back stage" stuff because of the ratty curtain they have put up.  Plus all the little cracks and holes in the walls that let the light in really take away from the ride.  I'm still upset that they closed Big Jacks Sandwich shop!  (And yes, it's still sits empty)  Had a lumberjack camp lunch at the waterfall and enjoyed the coolness of that area.  It HAD to be at least 15 degrees cooler back there.  Caught the train and really felt bad for Ralphie and Alphie.  It was HOT and I could only imagine having to sit out there and do that skit over and over....still did a great job though.  Checked out the new Fireman's Landing and the kids really seemed to enjoy it.  About mid afternoon, we finally decided to fly the white flag and head back to the Classic Motor Inn.  Asphalt was soft in places and we were amazed that we left foot prints in the road!  Made a stop by the taffy shop and got my supply of taffy along with a small bag of Wildfire.  Call me crazy, but I love that stuff.

Still LOVE the City....somebody just needs to step up and look at details in the park.