Author Topic: Dollywood Hints at Another Huge Attraction in 2016  (Read 37694 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Dollywood Hints at Another Huge Attraction in 2016
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2015, 01:27:08 AM »
This coaster clearly builds on the success of Outlaw Run. It's pretty much everything I hoped for. Curious that they didn't go for any inversions, but I think they were actually trying to create a more timeless design. This is Dollywood's signature ride. I was really under-impressed by their coaster collection, surprisingly, but the park itself is of course top notch. This could change everything.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »
This coaster clearly builds on the success of Outlaw Run. It's pretty much everything I hoped for. Curious that they didn't go for any inversions, but I think they were actually trying to create a more timeless design. This is Dollywood's signature ride. I was really under-impressed by their coaster collection, surprisingly, but the park itself is of course top notch. This could change everything.

Maybe their surveys showed the folks were inversioned out and three coasters that do was enough (SDC has two) Going completely sideways is good enough. They are more complete family oriented they trying to be a SFMM or Cedar Fair.  Wonder if the knee restraints will be used on these trains, or at least a more forgiving verion. I' m sure they had complaints on the Outlaw Run ones.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »
Looks like an awesome ride. It might just be me but I think the car train just looks odd on a wooden coaster. Looks like Dollywood is adding another great attraction to its arsenal, however.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »
Construction continues and the ride is taking shape.  Very little of the ride will be visible from the park itself.  It will be neat to blast out of the park and roll through the hills.  Red's Diner is also getting a makeover.  This new coaster will be a nice shot in the arm for that part of the park.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 07:26:23 AM »
Lightning Rod's opening has been delayed.  The e-mail from DW did not indicate when the new coaster might open, just said the manufacturer has asked for more time for testing.  Disappointing for sure for those who were heading down opening weekend.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 12:28:30 PM »
If I had to guess, it'll be open by the 24th since Dolly is to be on park that day. 
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
Anyone have any idea when Lightning Rod will finally open?

Hollwood

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 05:58:31 PM »
The last I heard they were hoping Memorial Weekend, but I would imaging testing would have to be well underway by now to hit that date. I would say mid June.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 08:12:45 PM »
The coaster apparently soft opened, finally. http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23793&start=9980

And then there is this on Dollywood's page: http://www.dollywood.com/

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »
I feel like it's such a weird way to soft open. They are handing out tickets that are good for one ride apiece. I was guessing they were doing that because they don't want to fill the queue line and then have to shut down over and over again in case it acts up. Sure seems like they are still unsure of the thing...

I assume by this weekend it will be fully open. Fingers crossed that this coaster will have decent uptime, or we may never see another launched coaster in this chain again.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2016, 10:05:43 PM »
The coaster apparently soft opened, finally. http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23793&start=9980

What is "Technical Ride Rehearsal"?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »

What is "Technical Ride Rehearsal"?

Soft openings that are announced and can be suspended at any time
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 01:37:07 PM »
I feel like it's such a weird way to soft open. They are handing out tickets that are good for one ride apiece. I was guessing they were doing that because they don't want to fill the queue line and then have to shut down over and over again in case it acts up. Sure seems like they are still unsure of the thing...

I assume by this weekend it will be fully open. Fingers crossed that this coaster will have decent uptime, or we may never see another launched coaster in this chain again.

Are they having trouble with Firechaser? Isn't PowderKeg's  issues more to do with the transfer table and not the actual launch?  Outside of the trouble with Lighting Rod is there much trouble the the actual launches of there coasters?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »
^PK is largely problematic due to the transfer table, but the launch stuff has had issues as well. I have never heard of a launch coaster that didn't have any issues, which is really sad since the tech is pretty old and established at this point. Firechaser Express isn't quite so bad though...

It sounds like they briefly had it fully operational with two trains running, but then they shut it down again to work on the launch some more, and now there's unconfirmed reports that it was struck by lightning which further complicates things.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if they'll get it open this summer. I kept thinking that surely there's a fix being worked on and it will just take another week, but they keep going back to square one apparently.

Was it worth it to get the first "launched wooden coaster"? The next park to build one will probably have a much better launch and none of this bad publicity and downtime. I hope they got a big discount.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »
It shut down because of the major flooding issues.  It was working fine until then
SWOOSH