Author Topic: Dollywood Hints at Another Huge Attraction in 2016  (Read 37692 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Dollywood Hints at Another Huge Attraction in 2016
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 09:41:35 PM »
lol, I should have written that one out. Even I forgot what I was referencing there for a minute.

I'm still of the thought that this will be a Mack launched coaster though. Some of the enthusiast circles are playing with the idea of RMC doing a launched coaster at DW since due to the prestige of getting one of the "world's first" bragging rights that HFEC (and every other chain) loves so much. I think it's possible, I just think they would ultimately go for a tried-and-true world class coaster over a gimmick that honestly doesn't look as cool as you would think. DW will get an RMC eventually I'm sure, I just think they want a large, shiny, recognizable steel coaster with some height on it at the moment though. But I'm usually wrong.

I think it will have a large, probably 200ft+ spike on it as well. I think they are trying to compete at least a little with Carowinds in terms of coasters, so they need something tall to display.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 01:56:49 PM »
Not sure if this verifies a new RMC at Dollywood, but seems to match the rumors....

http://www.simplyhired.com/job/premier-roller-coaster-building-company-hiring-tn-job/rocky-mountain-construction/vhrpmttcv2

WANT TO BE PART OF A TEAM BUILDING WORLD CLASS ROLLER COASTERS?!!!
Premier Roller Coaster Company is hiring for 2 Full-Time survey positions.
*Experience with Leica systems and AutoCad required.
This is a traveling position. Currently we have projects in TN, KY, and CA. Immediate placement would be in Pigeon Forge,TN.
Employment Benefits:
*Company provided lodging (share 2 bedroom apartment with room mate.) All utilities (cable, internet, utilities etc) provided.
*Travel home every 6 weeks for one week. Airfare provided.
*Medical Insurance, 401 K, Aflac,profit sharing, paid vacation
Check out our website at www.rockymtnconstruction.com or search on you tube "rocky mountain construction roller coasters" to see some awesome videos of our projects!
Please email resumes to info@rockymtnconstruction.com

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 02:03:57 PM »
^EDIT: lol, right as I was writing this post, cowboy sneaks it in.

So it appears RMC is hiring surveyors with immediate openings in Pigeon Forge. I guess that definitely makes the launched wooden coaster rumor look pretty solid.

It'll probably turn out pretty awesome, but after finally getting to ride DW's coasters this summer I'm more apprehensive about the idea than ever. DW's coaster collection pales to SDC. They just don't place enough emphasis on making rides that people will want to ride over and over again for decades. Their best coasters right now are Blazing Fury, Firechaser, and Tennesee Tornado. I think my Mack launch coaster wish from earlier would have gotten more more excited than this prospect. However, it remains to be seen what they're actually planning so I'll probably end up taking that statement back, but who knows.

Outlaw Run turned out fantastic, but Buzzsaw Falls, Timber Tower, Adventure Mountain, and Mystery Mine have been pretty problematic in HFEC's recent past relationships with new and aggressive attraction concepts. Mystery Mine is still awesome in my book, but definitely tough to market as I hate to see kids go on there and get bashed around. I almost include Wild Eagle and Thunderhead in that list as well because they ended up falling short in comparison to other rides of the same nature. I think most of it comes down to DW just not understanding roller coasters when they make purchases, because SDC sure does a good job. Even though BF was buggy, it was fun to ride.

RMC has always impressed, but who knows what will happen if they start playing with new elements. I'm still holding my breath.

Pic should be attached:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:07:05 PM by shavethewhales »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 02:37:37 PM »
I got the Dollywood coaster out of that, the Kentucky coaster is the rebuild  of the twins at Kentucky Kingdom but what park in Cali is getting an RMC redo or original didn't Magic Mountain just get it's Wallyworld coaster redone.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 03:31:36 PM »
Rumor has it to be Roar at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

If it truly is Roar, I wonder then if Six Flags America will get the first RMC clone in 2017?

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 06:42:44 PM »
I think my excitement is rising the more I think about what RMC has actually done recently. I'm probably being too pessimistic about the whole launch thing. I've just been burned too many times by gimmicks and ride companies trying things out for the first time. Especially after experiencing all the dozens of coasters on my recent trip, I've learned that more often than not the best coasters weren't innovative at all but rather just had fun layouts. However, Outlaw Run was definitely worth the risk, and I'm sure this will be too. A launch really shouldn't be a big deal at this point.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 01:45:27 PM »
Screamscape added some new pictures of the construction site.
http://screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 11:24:50 AM »
Just making an observation on the Dollywood Project, and I'm wondering if it's really going to be the "huge" coaster that everyone is wanting, or just a gimmick coaster (which are still cool) like Top Thrill Dragster.

The reason I ask is; if you look at the time line of Outlaw Run, or even Fire Chaser Express.........those coasters were much further along in construction in the previous year of their opening. In December of 2011 land clearing had already started for Outlaw Run (for a 2013 opening). Footers and a lot of station work, etc. were already complete by March of 2012.

If you look at Dolly's new coaster - it's August and the station is not as near complete as Outlaw's was at this time, nor the number of footers installed, or structure constructed, etc.

Unless there is a very large amount of the coaster already constructed behind the hill.....or the opening date will not be in March of 2016, I just do not think this will be the scale of a ride that we all would hope to see.

RMC though could have shortened their construction time frames significantly.... If you look at last year their rides didn't really get started until August....but they didn't open until June either. So maybe RMC can pull it off, but I would think if it was going to be a really big coaster we would have seen more by now if it was going to have a March 2016 opening.

Anyway, just my random thoughts and observations....

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 09:46:27 PM »
Coasters can be put together pretty quickly if the money is there for the crew shifts. RMC prefabricates their topper track pieces in segments, which takes a lot of the time out of the equation vs. traditional layered construction. Outlaw Run's construction started ridiculously early simply because they could and it was cheaper apparently. RMC is on a tighter schedule these days, so they'll work as quickly as they need to for their goals to be accomplished on both their end and the park's.

I think this ride will be reasonably large. Larger than Outlaw Run, but perhaps a bit smaller than the proposed "Wildfire" RMC over in Scandinavia. I'm also starting to think that if it has a launch, it will be more of an "extra" featured that is experienced mid-course rather than being the primary piece of the coaster. Just from the little I've seen of the construction so far it looks like it will turn out of the station and go up a lift over the hill.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »
I just wish someone would post pictures of the backside of the hill......I'm assuming that is where a lot of construction has been occurring and they are doing a great job of hiding it.

If that's the case, then they could easily construct the front half of the hill, station, etc. in a few months time to get it open by March.

I'm now hearing rumors of a fourth 2016 RMC roller coaster......Dollywood, Kentucky Kingdom, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, and ???? Is Wildfire still a go for 2016 or has that been moved to 2017?

Jay

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 12:21:34 PM »
I just wish someone would post pictures of the backside of the hill......I'm assuming that is where a lot of construction has been occurring and they are doing a great job of hiding it.

If that's the case, then they could easily construct the front half of the hill, station, etc. in a few months time to get it open by March.

I'm now hearing rumors of a fourth 2016 RMC roller coaster......Dollywood, Kentucky Kingdom, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, and ???? Is Wildfire still a go for 2016 or has that been moved to 2017?

Jay

Vekoma is building the one in Sweeden. I don't know if it's fabricated here and sent  there or if there's fab work in Europe as well.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 11:12:59 PM »
Dollywood will make the announcement on Friday, August 7.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »
Well, Lightning Rod looks like it will be a great ride and I'm glad that it doesn't take Outlaw Run's record for most inversions. I am surprised that RMC didn't find a spot for even one inversion, it's not like them. I know it has a launch, but I don't know why you would build a RMC coaster without an inversion. I'm also surprised it's taken this long for a launched wooden coaster to be built. It seems like a launch on a wooden coaster wood be a lot easier to do than an inversion.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 10:24:15 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FFXbryGHMuw

I am impressed with the ride, and kudos to Dollywood! I'll have to get there one day!

Jay

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 01:39:30 PM »
Remember when SDC got the first of everything? Looks like Powderkeg on crack!  ;D
RIP Chippewa Lake Park