Author Topic: Baldknobbers: Reality TV??  (Read 24668 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: Baldknobbers: Reality TV??
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »
Since I don't have pay TV, against my better judgement I bought season 1 (all 5 episodes so far) on Amazon Prime and watched them all last night. What complete trash. I knew very little of the Mabe family before this. I know they were the first show in Branson but that was about it. We have been to Baldknobbers before, although it's been a while, and thought it was ok, nothing special but your typical hillbilly show. I know this is heavily scripted but I have next to no respect for them now and I'm not sure if it's because they actually could be this dysfunctional and petty or because they would lower themselves to this level and pretend to be that for a quick buck. I don't know what kind of attention they were expecting to get from this, but I can assure you I won't go there again. A part of me feels sorry for them that they thought this is something they needed to do to raise some money while at the same time I'd almost like to see them fail just to see what happens when you sell your soul for a dollar.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 03:17:10 AM »
LMAO!! 

" Typically Hllbilly"?  exactly why  don't go.!!

If they would change their show? "upgrade"?, modernize (just a little bit)?, bring in some REAL talent?  They might get better crowds.......  LOL!  but who would know?

I went once 4 or 5 years ago, couldn't stay awake.! whata terrible show..  will never go back..

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 06:04:30 AM »
i am still cool with the show, but for a 30 minute program, it sure has a very slow story line. not much happens in the 30 minutes they air. ???
Live life like it's the last day!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 07:39:17 AM »
I am thinking if you want them to fail for selling thier soul then you want the following to failalso.

The bearded duck people sold out to reality TV.
The American Picker guys sold out.
Pawn stars sold out to TV.
Anyone who has ever been on a show like Dancing with the stars, Amazing Race , survivor. All sellouts
American idol contestants. I guess Carrie Underwood sold her soul also.
Old worn out Child TV stars like Barry Williams sold out their soul.
And the list goes on and on.

Have not been to the Baldknobbers in years , but I bet they are up to par with most of the same type show. They are just trying to survive in today's world and using the current way available to do it.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 08:28:21 AM »
I don't know.  It seems there is a right and a wrong way to do reality TV.  Of course, the wrong way seems to appeal to today's dysfunctional society.  If the Baldknobbers did not infuse their show with rivalries and infighting, they wouldn't be on the channel they are on.  I don't like to watch that brand of "reality" television, but many fall for that Honey Boo Boo genre.

Most of the others you listed generally have positive images, and they have thrived on more mainstream outlets.  For the most part, TLC and Tru are little more than circus side shows.  Those things have been around for decades; this is just our modern incarnation of such.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 11:13:20 AM »
Runner, you mentioned Barry Williams? R u talking about his new show with GAC, or did you have a previous example..?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 11:44:43 AM »
Runner, you mentioned Barry Williams? R u talking about his new show with GAC, or did you have a previous example..?

The new one. Unless you count the tell all book. I believe he is a Chameleon who will change to whatever puts the cash in his pocket.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »
I am thinking if you want them to fail for selling thier soul then you want the following to failalso.

The bearded duck people sold out to reality TV.
The American Picker guys sold out.
Pawn stars sold out to TV.
Anyone who has ever been on a show like Dancing with the stars, Amazing Race , survivor. All sellouts
American idol contestants. I guess Carrie Underwood sold her soul also.
Old worn out Child TV stars like Barry Williams sold out their soul.
And the list goes on and on.

Have not been to the Baldknobbers in years , but I bet they are up to par with most of the same type show. They are just trying to survive in today's world and using the current way available to do it.

I did not mean selling their soul just by being on television . Duck Dynasty, DWTS, American Idol, etc.do not have the exaggerated drama, infighting, jealously, bickering, backstabbing and other nonsense that these alleged reality shows do. I have seen all of those at least once and none were nearly as trashy as Branson Famous or even close. I was talking about how they willing to take the television carrot even if it meant doing and acting in a fashion they normally do not under the guise of "reality".
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
At least the Robertsons admitted from the very beginning that the premise of each show was a predetermined idea/storyline.  They prefer to call it unscripted, instead of reality.  As far as the Baldknobbers are concerned, I would be embarrassed to know that people would be thinking I actually acted that way.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2015, 03:46:18 PM »
At least the Robertsons admitted from the very beginning that the premise of each show was a predetermined idea/storyline.  They prefer to call it unscripted, instead of reality

I missed that part of it. I don't recall seeing that anywhere on the show, not saying there is not a disclosure there but as far as I could tell we are supposed to believe this is real.

As far as the Baldknobbers are concerned, I would be embarrassed to know that people would be thinking I actually acted that way.

Thank you. That's the feeling I've been trying to express and couldn't quite get the thought together.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
[

The new one. Unless you count the tell all book. I believe he is a Chameleon who will change to whatever puts the cash in his pocket.

Runner? 
Wondering how you can "judge" the new Barry Williams show? Since it doesn't start until Feb 5th.?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
[
[/quote
Runner?  
Wondering how you can "judge" the new Barry Williams show? Since it doesn't start until Feb 5th.?

Did not say I was judging the show , just saying how he sold out to reality TV to jumpstart his career. Sounds like you have some type of a intreast in it though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:46:55 PM by Runner1960 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »
Nope. No interest.. 

Just don't want to condemn him until I see the show...  I am hoping since GAC is involved it will be something worth watching and "maybe" a benefit to him and Branson...

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2015, 07:01:03 PM »
At least the Robertsons admitted from the very beginning that the premise of each show was a predetermined idea/storyline.  They prefer to call it unscripted, instead of reality

I missed that part of it. I don't recall seeing that anywhere on the show, not saying there is not a disclosure there but as far as I could tell we are supposed to believe this is real.

They have said it in interviews, but not on the show.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »

They have said it in interviews, but not on the show.

My mistake. I did not read carefully enough and thought we were still talking about Baldknobbers. Did not see "Robertsons". Apologies.