Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 180390 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #405 on: March 19, 2016, 02:18:31 AM »
Hello everyone. I figured I would contribute to this discussion.

The new Frybread Stand.

The tree that was cut down near the Saloon has been replaced.

The newer style train cars are all being used. They look like they got a fresh coat of paint.
They are also using a different engine which I was told by the Station Employees that it had been out of service for a long time.
It has a slightly different whistle sound but it looks and sounds great.

I know there is already a similar picture on here but here is some Flooded Mine (Shootout) updates. Take note that they replaced all of the old dummies in the boat and on the inside. Also the lighting has been improved and a lot of the props appear to be working better than I remember in years past. However, I don't like the new guns which I guess have been installed for a few seasons now. They are not as rugged and heavy as the old ones and sound like Star Wars Blasters or something. (Pew Pew)  :-\
Oh and some of the signage has been refurbished and they appear to have added all new roller wheels to the sides of the boats.

EDIT: I also chatted with the workers running the ride complementing them on the improvements. They seemed to be surprised and dismissed the idea of the attraction being taken out anytime soon. In fact (while they could have just been messing around with me) I was told to make sure to come back for the Christmas festival as they wanted to do something special to the ride. Could this possibly be the return of the Candy Mine from the early 90's? IMO That would be fantastic if they did do that!

New ThuNderaTion Arch

And finally the Waterfall area.

They got this plaque placed around there as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:42:25 AM by sdcfan88 »

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 19, 2016, 10:40:45 AM »
Great pictures!  Did you try the Fry Bread?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
Interesting to see what they had to say about The Flooded Mine. Thanks for the updates.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 19, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »
Thanks and no problem all. And I did not get around to try the fry bread but I probably will next time.

I added video links to the Train and to the Flooded Mine in the video thread here:
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=3449.0
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:52:25 PM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2016, 08:10:27 PM »
Thanks a ton for the photos sdcfan88! You have a great eye for details. Sometimes it takes me a couple trips to notice what has actually changed.

I'm so glad they rebuilt the TNT tressel instead of just replacing it with something cheap, and I'm glad to here things have actually been fixed a bit on the Flooded Mine, even if the changes may be a little wonky. It gives me hope that it will stick around longer. What would really make me happy is if they would give it a darn entrance sign so people could actually find it.

The plaque of Pete and Jack has actually been there for a few seasons, but it certainly pops out more without all the normal foliage around it.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 20, 2016, 09:30:29 PM »
Thanks a ton for the photos sdcfan88! You have a great eye for details. Sometimes it takes me a couple trips to notice what has actually changed.

I'm so glad they rebuilt the TNT tressel instead of just replacing it with something cheap, and I'm glad to here things have actually been fixed a bit on the Flooded Mine, even if the changes may be a little wonky. It gives me hope that it will stick around longer. What would really make me happy is if they would give it a darn entrance sign so people could actually find it.

The plaque of Pete and Jack has actually been there for a few seasons, but it certainly pops out more without all the normal foliage around it.

Thank you! And I agree about the classic rides getting some much welcomed love by the maintenance crews this season. Flooded Mine is so unique (with or without the shootout feature) and ThuNderaTion is the best Mine Train coaster in the world. It would be highly tragic if they were removed.

I will say Fire in the Hole is really getting rough. My father worked at SDC when it opened and knew it inside-out and he even said there is something definitely wrong when he last rode it. This has me worried that its days are numbered since it was this bad last year and apparently this issue hasn't been addressed.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 21, 2016, 08:47:36 AM »
When I rode it recently I was not terribly happy with the experience. It buzzed through far too fast for my tastes. Then the last drop was HARD. Not smooth at all. Then this chunk, chunck, chunck, chunk feeling at the end. Like it was popping on and off the track? Not sure.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 21, 2016, 08:59:52 AM »
Really enjoyed your photos!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 21, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »
Great Photos,  and nice update on flooded Mine.....

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 26, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »
Hello everyone! Just in to give a quick update on the expo.  Nothing at all was done to the expo in the offseason.  The elephants look exactly like they did in December...half of them redone, half faded and peeling.  I witnessed no new paint or redos.  They didn't even repaint the railings everywhere.  They were so dirty. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #415 on: March 26, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »
Hello everyone! Just in to give a quick update on the expo.  Nothing at all was done to the expo in the offseason.  The elephants look exactly like they did in December...half of them redone, half faded and peeling.  I witnessed no new paint or redos.  They didn't even repaint the railings everywhere.  They were so dirty.

Wrong. But since I'm in TN right now I can't upload the photos to show the new paint on the rides.  Again the only ride not done was elephants and they are doing one at a time. 
SWOOSH

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 26, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »
^^^^Thank you. I was having a hard time biting my tongue. All signs are new, archways painted, & I was there while some of the painting was done. All the falling apart "gingerbread" on the gazebo was removed and the structure painted. Take into consideration there are only 4-6 guys in the paint shop with HUNDREDS of buildings, railings, etc., and only a couple months to get it done, I think they did a kick ass job! Wilson's farm got a paint job. The new building. Both Dugan's Trading buildings. Brown's candy got a complete make over. That's only some of the work. Hats off to the paint crew!
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2016, 01:51:50 AM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is also incorrect. I was just there Friday and yesterday and can confirm that the Elephants are NOT the only ride in GE that did not receive love over the offseason. Generally speaking, the area looks pretty good, but there were at least a few rides I rode with my 8 and 2 year old that still have faded or chipping paint clearly visible.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »
I'll be back in MO tomorrow.  I'll post the photos then. 
SWOOSH

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2016, 06:14:33 PM »
Now I wish I had taken photos.  You guys know I don't complain.  I generally stay out of things and just post reviews and occasionally on a random post.  But it was reported more than once by more than one person on this board that everything had new paint, etc and that is far from the truth.  The pirate ships were bubbling and peeling.  The wave carousel was paint was faded.  The metal on many rides was rusting and the railings in the tea cup air were dirty and chipping.  I don't think I would necessarily notice these things but since it was touted on this board as "everything got attention" I was looking forward to it.