Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 180293 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2016, 08:01:32 PM »
I cant remember the line being any longer than the first set of stairs.  Or ever being that full rather.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2016, 08:44:50 PM »
I cant remember the line being any longer than the first set of stairs.  Or ever being that full rather.

I've seen it reach the area between the two buildings, but never into the long queue path.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2016, 09:10:31 PM »
New for 2016: Better crowd flow... everywhere
Just wait until you see what's happening from Skillet to FITH
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 12, 2016, 08:29:49 PM »
That sounds like a nice plan. Even in the summer (not even a peak day) that area down Hill Street into the Skillet area is so crowded. The food locations that extend into the paths and people flowing back and forth between WF and PK make that area a nightmare to navigate.

Also, the area around the skillets over by TNT can get nuts when those lines extend into the pathways.

It seems that most of the congested areas are where they have their food stands....maybe just moving those back a little would do wonders (but that's not an easy task).

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #334 on: January 12, 2016, 08:51:49 PM »
They've been needing to do something about the congestion for a long time. I'd gripe more about losing bits of the small park charm, but always having to wade through crowds in certain spots has already done that. Just as long as they leave a few trees...  ::)

I wonder if they'll do anything on the hill street side of the park? They could open up a bigger path past the Plunge and help people get around the steepest incline since that seems to be such a big deal these days.

As for the TNT sign rumor, I wonder if it's another one of those things that's falling apart with age and the park is deciding to simply get rid of it instead of putting any effort into fixing it. There have been a number of things like that throughout the park. It's definitely getting more barren out there.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 12, 2016, 09:42:13 PM »

They could increase the flow by grading another layer to the walkways hopefully with minimal damage if they were to leave trees and surround the bases making bench spots and rock wall benches.  Its a meandering path system that is used in the Animal Kingdom.  It assists in breaking up the crowd.  I look forward to their solution.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 15, 2016, 07:47:49 AM »
My guess is Strawberrys and Cream will be adjusted in its position.  Will it encroach the Fireman's Graveyard?  Very well could.

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »
The thing is that they are looking at the traffic flow wrong. They should be using an industrial engineer or someone like that to analyze max flow through an area and then plan things accordingly. And by "things" i mean walkways, stores, showtimes, etc. they have been doing better at not scheduling shows near each other to start when another is letting out but there is still room for improvement.

Of course none of these changes can take into account the selfish people who think the world revolves around them... The ones who say go through the turnstiles and stop. Or the ones completely blocking huge sections of walkway forcing everyone else to funnel around them. You can't fix stupid... Believe me, I've tried. I have been known to pick people up and move them when they do this... It is funny when you see their face when a smaller girl picks them up

What is needed in many areas is a traffic monitor. Someone on site that works to keep traffic moving when they see certain areas back up. They had something like this a couple years ago in the hospitality house. They had 2 lanes and one of the cave guides was making sure traffic kept moving in and out of SDC. This would help immensely in other areas. I do believe some people are just so oblivious to their surroundings that they don't realize they are causing huge traffic flow problems. Someone to gently urge them to keep moving would do wonders

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2016, 04:53:57 PM »
My guess is Strawberrys and Cream will be adjusted in its position.  Will it encroach the Fireman's Graveyard?  Very well could.

Was told it and the little "island" behind it would be gone. 
Also not sure the FITH/PK shop will be back
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2016, 08:25:11 PM »

That will take some getting used too.  I want to see what they do there.   Cookies and cream blocked the view of FITH as well.
I say clear the path out but find a way to keep a few trees.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2016, 08:27:57 PM »
Unfortunately most of those trees were dead or close to dying.  While the islands are nice looking they eventually suffocate the trees and that's what has been happening to a lot of them around the park that were in these islands. 

SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »
The concrete grows.  Its a shame they are losing so many trees.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2016, 11:43:03 PM »
Last year's ice storm really did a number on them.  While they are replacing trees, they are the mature full grown ones that have been removed and it is noticeable. 

I heard something will done up by Frisco to deal with lines out in the way of the midway as well for those stands.  A simple queue line would suffice I imagine. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 16, 2016, 07:59:26 AM »

That's may help that area, But still leaves a BIG problem at saloon/Lumbercamp area...

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2016, 08:10:06 AM »
That's may help that area, But still leaves a BIG problem at saloon/Lumbercamp area...
True enough, and the person that green lighted the chip stand and the positioning of its registers doesnt spend much time in the park during active hours.....we all knew how stupid that was.
But it sounds like they got the message and are making moves in the right direction.  This gives us something to look forward to checking out next year.  I wish the city would yearly take on one project they could promote and entice us with,  improvements on rides and refubs.  Why more of this is not done I am not sure.