Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 181398 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #315 on: January 01, 2016, 07:50:03 PM »
How long has the tree in the middle of the big walkway area in front of the lumber camp been gone? Maybe it was taken out last year and I only noticed it again during Christmas, but it sure left a gap in the canopy and it doesn't look like they'll replace it.

It's got me wondering again about whether the park will leave much of the canopy in place as they go forward with various redevelopments throughout the park. They did OK with HDH, but didn't make a big effort to do much with FL or the OR area, or even GE of course. They like to keep things more open and simple these days like other parks. With all the natural tree die-offs and damage from storms, the park is getting less wooded all the time. We know that they need to do work on the entrance/HH area soon as well, so I wonder if that area will get a clear cut too...

The trees in FL were mostly removed when GG and WB were built.  I don't think much more had to be removed to make room for the new area.  Did they put any new trees in FL?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #316 on: January 02, 2016, 05:00:05 AM »
You're being really unfair with OR as it was a hill and did not have foliage to begin with.  Revisionist's history, much?  FL had very thick foliage and the area doubled in size. Something had to give.  The planted trees, so it will be back.  GE planted lots of trees and is far from wide open now - and considering it was a parking lot. 

The tree in question has been gone since the summer. It was damaged in the ice storm last winter.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 02, 2016, 07:47:56 AM »
ith all the natural tree die-offs and damage from storms, the park is getting less wooded all the time. We know that they need to do work on the entrance/HH area soon as well, so I wonder if that area will get a clear cut too...
We have also had dry summers in the past few years and that kind of damage is very slow to kill a tree but it will and is.   Also with progress comes concrete at SDC, they are encroaching on the trees  with the walkways (out of necessity?) and when you cut off the water - air supply to the roots the tree dies..... slowly,  but dies.  A lot of trees around SDC are starved for water.  Just walk around and look at the trees near the walkways.  You wont find many trees in the walkways anymore unless its a stump thats been ground level with the walkway.   Just walk around the general store and look at the ground.  They are also not replacing oaks.  Oak gives you lots of shade, birch not so much.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 02, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »
The ol gray mare she aint what she used ta be.....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #319 on: January 02, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
When I mentioned OR and FL, I was meaning that they had the opportunity to plant new trees and extend the canopy like they probably would have in the old days, but chose not to in favor of more modern design and openness. What I'm getting at is that we're at a point where it will take decisive action to keep the canopy, but it's not something I see them doing. It would have to be a distinct goal to keep x% of the pathways covered in foliage. I'm sure they'll keep plenty of trees around, but as with many things, it won't be anything like it used to be. I'm remembering back to when practically everything was completely under the trees.

I totally understand the drought situation and the challenges of replanting good old broad-leafs as well. That just adds another dimension to it that would be hard to overcome if they did want to go back to the old wooded feel.

Still, as with everything else, they do have a few creative options to ease the loss if they ever get the gumption. More tree planters within the walkways, arch canopies, green roofs, etc. It's just a matter of priority.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 02, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »
we're at a point where it will take decisive action to keep the canopy, but it's not something I see them doing. It would have to be a distinct goal to keep x% of the pathways covered in foliage. I'm sure they'll keep plenty of trees around, but as with many things, it won't be anything like it used to be. I'm remembering back to when practically everything was completely under the trees.

I totally understand the drought situation and the challenges of replanting good old broad-leafs as well. That just adds another dimension to it that would be hard to overcome if they did want to go back to the old wooded feel.

Still, as with everything else, they do have a few creative options to ease the loss if they ever get the gumption. More tree planters within the walkways, arch canopies, green roofs, etc. It's just a matter of priority.

I have been watching and commenting on the handling of this issue for some time.  You can really note the changes as time marches.  I for one think the canopy adds intimacy and adventure as well as shade. It closes in SDC around you causing you to feel more a part of it.  It seems to make it all a little more romantic.  It is a great loss.  But the fat lady hasent sung yet.  Plant shade trees and let them restore the cover.  It really makes a difference although probably reduces the sodas consumed.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 02, 2016, 11:11:21 PM »
Well the trees really grew in back in GE so I think a lot of the worrying is unwarranted.

OR has a lot of shade around the queue area.  I think you are forgetting that it is basically backstage so the main path has to be kept clear for moving equipment
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 09, 2016, 12:57:11 PM »
Weird news/rumor:
Heard ThuNdersTion's icon entrance will be removed for this season. Not sure what that is about unless they are planning to do something different with the queue line
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 09, 2016, 02:34:12 PM »
Weird news/rumor:
Heard ThuNdersTion's icon entrance will be removed for this season. Not sure what that is about unless they are planning to do something different with the queue line

There's lots of room for them to use if they remove most of the outdoor queue.  Remove the signage or move the signage?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 09, 2016, 03:09:51 PM »
I was told remove.

I wonder if they are considering a new entrance to Echo Hollow?
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 09, 2016, 05:34:08 PM »
Where did you hear this?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 09, 2016, 11:02:58 PM »
Seriously?   ::)
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 10, 2016, 12:10:06 AM »
I was told remove.

I wonder if they are considering a new entrance to Echo Hollow?

Would a new location in that area allow them to upcharge admission to Echo Hollow?  By that, I mean would they consider charging for concerts for people who do not have to pay admission to the park?  I hope not, but that's something I would definitely consider if I was the one making the decisions.

Otherwise would this be an additional exit for Echo Hollow or a new single exit?  Just thinking...

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 11, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »
Interesting. Could this mean bad news for Thunderation....the ride is getting older and doesn't have as many riders as it used to? Or does this just have to do with Echo Hollow?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #329 on: January 11, 2016, 04:40:06 PM »
Interesting. Could this mean bad news for Thunderation....the ride is getting older and doesn't have as many riders as it used to? Or does this just have to do with Echo Hollow?

I wouldn't think that removing the queue/changing the line would mean bad things. If anything I would think that if they are changing anything it probably means that they are planning on keeping the ride for a while because you're not going to spend time/money on something you plan to get rid of.

I would be okay if they removed that exterior queue area so you wouldn't have to walk a half mile to get to the ride.