Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 180282 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2015, 11:28:08 PM »
The best thing about AP is how tall it is. I've gone on the flume ride at Worlds of Fun, and it's just... such a lame ending. It's such a tiny fall that it has no real impact. (and the water stinks, but that's a different problem altogether)

So, yeah, definitely keep AP, but refurbish it. I miss the theming of the ride. As a kid, I loved all the "over the waterfall daredevils" stuff that themed it; they need to bring that back. The worst part of the ride right now is that long concrete tunnel. Do something with it. Carve some dioramas or something; just make it not so boring. Add theming to the sides of the canal again; I miss all the animatronics that used to be on it.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »
I meant to either take it out and build a brand new one or rebuild/upgrade it. I am glad that we are all on the same page. After the downgrade, they took out pretty much the whole story and I was not happy when I found out they took out the best parts. It also does need to be longer or have another hill. Take Frontier City's for example, they got a really great log flume. Creepy skeletons to look at and 2 hills. Make an SDC version of that, but with the animatronics.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2015, 02:34:54 PM »
After the downgrade, they took out pretty much the whole story [...]

Basically the common sentiment here. AP used to be a signature ride. It's still a good flume, but it's tough to see it exist as a shell of itself. The Ozarkan Daredevilry Society theme used to be expressed a little more, but it's getting more and more forgotten about.

It really would not be difficult to "re-build" AP with a new tunnel and a Hopkins ride system with the big 16 or so passenger boats. Or a version similar to DW's, with I think 8-passenger boats with individual seats. Certainly the current version's days are numbered as insurance, ADA, and other issues catch up to it. I do enjoy old-style log flume systems though.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »
Do you mean like Daredevil Falls? Thats the only water ride I can think of that is the closest to a log ride that they have in Dollywood, which is also the old Buss-Saw Falls ride.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:26:22 PM by Laroy »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »
I must admit, Frontier City's actually is pretty good...and I really don't like Frontier City.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2015, 07:57:11 AM »
What?? How could you not like it??? Its like another Celebration City, which is what we all want.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2015, 08:24:35 AM »
I didn't really like Celebration City, but I really don't like Frontier City.  They were more havens for rascally, unsupervised teenagers and teenyboppers.  I didn't like Frontier City even when I was that age and it was in my back yard.  The stunt show and log flume were good, and I enjoyed the Silver Bullet.  Some of the storefronts were well done, but the contents were junk.  This is what I want SDC to avoid in 2016 and beyond, but I see it failing to avoid them.  Frontier City is the example of what's happening, with an area themed junk souvenir shop at every turn, selling the same stuff just with another ride name on it.  Give me the Huff Gallery, or the glassblowers, or the pottery shop, et al, every time.  If I want an SDC souvenir, it had better be something I can't by from Oriental Trading Post.

New CEO, make a trip to Frontier City to see an alternative timeline that you can still avoid; it's not too late!

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2015, 09:49:42 AM »
 :o ??? I cant believe you said that! All 3 were alot alike. I mean, Frontier Citys coasters may not be as good as SDC, but I still think Frontier City and CC should definately be in the top 10 for the best theme parks. They are 2 of the best parks in the world! I love Frontier City in almost every way, except the fact the coasters are way too small. CC was the exact definition of a perfect park in every way. So what it Frontier City has all teens for employees, the managers are hard to find because theyre always walking around, and some of the rides keep breaking down! Its still a really great park! I think theyre doing everything else awesomely! Not everything is perfect, but theyre trying. Plus their shows are the best! No question! So what if they got stuff that you can buy almost anywhere else! SDC pretty much does too.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 09:52:37 AM by Laroy »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2015, 10:08:05 AM »
Huge difference here, and I think this speaks to the subtle and subconscious ambience that shave spoke about in another thread:  Silver Dollar City is a destination park that draws visitors of all flavors from many miles, while Frontier City is a local hangout and place to hook up with like-minded teens.  The one thing that Frontier City, Worlds of Fun, and others have that SDC seems to reject is a sizable picnicking area or central location for corporate get-togethers.  Those large business groups probably account for a great deal of their income every summer.  Look closely with a distinguishing eye.  SDC is vastly different in feel, look, and culture.  If we are truly fans of SDC, we will urge it to lead others, and not follow the likes of the rejected third cousin wannabe of Six Flags.

My vote will always be to take a year or two off of the big expansions and completely overhaul the three classics:  completely replace AP with APII, upgrade FitH with real audio and articulated characters and story elements and not cheap mannequins and fluorescent paint (as well as reinstate the inside queue so as to prologue the story), and take the shooting technology back out of FM (As the first "amusement" rides, FM and FitH should live as long as the City itself.).  These overhauls, including the amazing replacement of AP would still look good in advertising and would still be marketed well to intended audiences.

At the same time, they really should look to expanding and improving craft demonstrations.  These are, and should always be, entertaining little "shows" in themselves, unscheduled and surprising to people walking by.  They are the nuggets that make SDC unlike any other park in existence, contributing greatly to the culture that has kept them alive for over 50 years.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
My vote will always be to take a year or two off of the big expansions and completely overhaul the three classics:  completely replace AP with APII, upgrade FitH with real audio and articulated characters and story elements and not cheap mannequins and fluorescent paint (as well as reinstate the inside queue so as to prologue the story), and take the shooting technology back out of FM (As the first "amusement" rides, FM and FitH should live as long as the City itself.).  These overhauls, including the amazing replacement of AP would still look good in advertising and would still be marketed well to intended audiences.

At the same time, they really should look to expanding and improving craft demonstrations.  These are, and should always be, entertaining little "shows" in themselves, unscheduled and surprising to people walking by.  They are the nuggets that make SDC unlike any other park in existence, contributing greatly to the culture that has kept them alive for over 50 years.
[/quote]

True History Buff. I know that people want FM to be more like POTC and Im fine with that. POTC is a very nice ride and a really great movie. The reason why they added the guns was because they wanted a ride where everybody could shoot targets. Now that we have Riverblast, that pretty much covers it, except the fact that not many people ride it and you will have to get wet just to shoot targets on a ride. Then there is also the FL ball pit, even though its not a ride. So I am fine with taking out the guns, but until then, I will ride it and do what youre suppost to do, "Pick up your gun and shoot". If they do take out the guns, I will still ride as long as they fix it up or upgrade it. Everything else is spot on there. But I do like how Frontier City and  CC do/did things. The environment and all the people just seem/seemed a lot nicer to everybody because its a happier atmosphere. I mean come on FITH! SDC is a park that has a lot of money. Surely they could afford mannequins for you that dont look like they came from the 99¢ store.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:17:15 PM by Laroy »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
With a name like American Plunge, it fits with the current patriotic theme.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »

The problem with that is that the late 1880s Ozarks wasn't some patriotic paradise. Lots of folks still felt the ill will from the Fight against Northern Aggression. Granny wasn't over it in the 1960s.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2015, 04:08:01 PM »
Plus, I dont feel very American when i ride the American Plunge. Its boring and story-less. Not even an American Flag. Not very American of a Plunge to me.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 04:09:06 PM by Laroy »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »

The problem with that is that the late 1880s Ozarks wasn't some patriotic paradise. Lots of folks still felt the ill will from the Fight against Northern Aggression. Granny wasn't over it in the 1960s.

That's why I believe SDC has already evolved into a multi-theme park, with patriotism as one of the themes.

Those fighting Northern aggression, by the way, were not the Bald Knobbers.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2015, 09:50:53 PM »
To add to several post on here.

1. I never liked Celebration City. If it was not for Oz Cat it might as well have been a traveling carnival with a laser light show. After about 3 circuits on Oz Cat We were ready to leave.

2. The patriotic theme at SDC really turns me the wrong way also. The bunting distracts from the theme and almost looks cartoonish. But that just might be me because i am not a big wave the flag god bless the military person.

3. Ap, Fm, and FITH need some love. If it requires destruction and rebuilding to their former glory so be it. I would love to see what they could do with modern 3D/4D technology.

4. Never thought about HB's thought on a multi themed park. It does look like they are heading in that direction though. The question is. Is it intentional?