Author Topic: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 180255 times)

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2016 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2015, 08:10:30 PM »
I have been wanting an inverted coaster North of Lake Silver for a while. Maybe it can be a backwards/forwards coaster too. I dont want another wooden coaster unless it will be like Wildcat. We dont have an inverted coaster or a ride that goes in reverse, ever since they switched the Thunderation cars. im not sure if i want another looping coaster either. Other kinds sound good, like wild mouse or a motocoaster, for example. I know that you all wouldnt want a motocoaster though. The suspended coaster could tell a story of the first explorers exploring Marvel Cave, or some kind of hanging theme. We should also have bumper cars that look like bulls and a ferris wheel, just because they are family rides, even though most of you would reject them too. But to that I say, we got the GE swings that all other parks have, so...ya!

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2015, 08:17:18 PM »
Well Gillgan, that would be a good thing for people like me, who cant travel far just to go to a regular "just another roller coaster park". SDC is the closest thing I have and I want to ride all of those rides at other parks, but closer to me. Besides, without FITH and Marvel Cave, there wouldnt be any themeing or shows at all! So we need it to be rebuilt so we can keep the theme and shows going. FITH and Marvel Cave are SDC, and the other way around.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
I can't see a Boomerang coaster fitting in well at SDC. I don't know how you could theme one well enough to follow the parks theme. Also, I hate how long it takes to load the Boomerangs and that they are low capacity rides.

Personally, I would love to see another B&M coaster come to the park. However, I don't want just another inverted coaster that are all over the place.

You can theme up anything. I think B&M are fine coasters sans their OTSRs.

I just don't want SDC to have a ride that you can ride at many different amusement parks and get the exact same experience. The park needs to get rides that will continue to bring in the younger people that don't care about the shows and how the park is better themed than almost any other park in the world.

But I do agree that SDC could find a way to theme any type of ride or attraction. Any type of theming will be better than Geyser Gulch was.

Absolutely disagree with you!  SDC does need to care about shows and theming.  Shows are part of the overall experience for all park visitors, and theming?  That's what makes them stand out above the rest.  Without those two important assets,  SDC will become just another roller coaster park. 

That's not what I meant. I meant to say that the park needs to have great rides and shows while keeping to the parks original theme. The great thing about SDC is that it appeals to every age group. For the younger generation the park has great rides and other attractions. For the older generation, the park has great shows and they choose to come to SDC over other parks because of the beauty and theming the park offers over other amusement parks.

If one of these park aspects is lost, we will lose one of these age groups which will cause the park to experience major changes.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2015, 10:21:26 PM »
Quote from: Shavethewhales
I keep wondering if a refurb/rebuild will come soon instead though... American Plunge, Fire-in-the-hole, and Thunderation all seem like they have a finite amount of time left before they are forced to deal with them somehow.

Agreed! Flooded Mine may need some rebuilding or upgrading too. If not, those rides will start rusting, rotting, or going bad in some way, people will stop riding them because they will start getting really boring, and start becoming unsafe. Fire In The Hole is not far from the whole building falling, if they dont do something soon...And they cant take it out! REBUILD IT ASAP!!! I also want all the old track, that used to be part of the ride, back and I want to hear a voice on speakers, telling the whole story!

Rebuild Fire In The Hole in a way that they built the Mummy at universal. You could still have lots of theming and a backward launch.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:13:40 PM by shavethewhales »

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »
Thank you Runner! At least someone agrees. Because i am tired of telling the story myself!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »
If one of these park aspects is lost, we will lose one of these age groups which will cause the park to experience major changes.

Yup, I've said many times that what makes SDC special, when you really boil down to it, is that I can seriously bring 4 generations of my family to it and we will all genuinely have a good time doing things we all enjoy - and I don't mean just watching my nephew's on the kids rides. Here's to continued investments for all the major demographics. They haven't invested in as many new crafts and shows as some of us would like, but there's certainly been some effort here and there. The economics have certainly shifted though.

Anyway, getting back to the topic of ride refurbishments, I keep hearing people just absolutely knocking FITH and Flooded Mine. The rides are certainly old, no doubt, and we've discussed various improvements and upkeep issues here and there, but the rides are simply not in as bad a shape as some people seem to believe. They have been kept up, and TLC is obviously applied every year if you are really looking. I think what's really changing is people's perspectives. Even though the rides are basically staying the same, people think they are getting run down because they are comparing them to increasingly bigger and better rides at WDW or wherever.

I know there are certain issues with the FITH building that will have to be addressed in the relatively near future, and the track system is certainly bumpy, but it's pretty close to the way it's always been (or at least has been for a long time). We're just used to "better" now. It's funny how we sometimes go back and forth between harping for preservation of the "special" things, and wanting to see everything be modernized to keep up with the Disney's and Universal's.

I think they could do a new custom track system inside FITH that would solve a lot of the issues people have with it, that would be a great middle ground solution.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:27:31 PM by shavethewhales »

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »
But Shave, they took out the voice telling the story! So, they everybody who rides for the first time doesnt know what it talks about! So without the telling of the story, they mainly took out the whole story because people cant interpret whats going on if no voice is telling them. It may not be in terrible shape, even though the water is making those boards so wet that I do think they will fall soon, they need the story back now more than anything! People need to hear that story at least once or more in the park because newbies need to know how it was started! After that, I want the old track back, then it to be rebuilt. They also need some kind of scary, dark ride. I feel like none of the rides are scary enough for me during Halloween. They need a scary festival or some kind of Haunted House. Not many parks do that!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 11:17:14 AM »
Quote from: Shavethewhales
I keep wondering if a refurb/rebuild will come soon instead though... American Plunge, Fire-in-the-hole, and Thunderation all seem like they have a finite amount of time left before they are forced to deal with them somehow.

Agreed! Flooded Mine may need some rebuilding or upgrading too. If not, those rides will start rusting, rotting, or going bad in some way, people will stop riding them because they will start getting really boring, and start becoming unsafe. Fire In The Hole is not far from the whole building falling, if they dont do something soon...And they cant take it out! REBUILD IT ASAP!!! I also want all the old track, that used to be part of the ride, back and I want to hear a voice on speakers, telling the whole story!

Rebuild Fire In The Hole in a way that they built the Mummy at universal. You could still have lots of theming and a backward launch.

We've Had this discussion numerous times  ;D

Drop track at the bridge and then a launch, up to that point no change to the story just new tech for effects.

Flooded Mine, keep it a shoot and score but add 3 or 4D elements to it with new ride system and up to date effects. Rushing water in 3D could be cool with a mist to sell it, projection faces like disney attractions and add picture taking. Been to Disney, think Buzz Lightyear/Toy Story without  the cartoon element.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:55:02 AM by chittlins »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 12:16:33 PM »
They also need some kind of scary, dark ride. I feel like none of the rides are scary enough for me during Halloween. They need a scary festival or some kind of Haunted House. Not many parks do that!

Silver Dollar City would have to lose one of its current festivals to add a Halloween festival. I feel that people would much rather have the National Harvest Fesitval than any "scary" festival. If people really want a Haunt attraction they can just go to any of the CF parks. I think we would lose guests at the park if we changed any of the festivals to a Halloween one because they aren't unique.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »
They also need some kind of scary, dark ride. I feel like none of the rides are scary enough for me during Halloween. They need a scary festival or some kind of Haunted House. Not many parks do that!

Silver Dollar City would have to lose one of its current festivals to add a Halloween festival. I feel that people would much rather have the National Harvest Fesitval than any "scary" festival. If people really want a Haunt attraction they can just go to any of the CF parks. I think we would lose guests at the park if we changed any of the festivals to a Halloween one because they aren't unique.

Again, nothing to do with 2016, but a revamped CC into and entertainment district with several buildings for haunts or Christmas-themed  walk through would solve that.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »

I'm not familiar with really any haunts around Branson that time of year, it seemed like everything is tied into crafts and the fall foliage. Are haunts popular around that area? Didn't there used to be a haunted house attraction in West Branson - is it still there? Has anyone been to the Castle of Chaos?

Maybe Silver Dollar City could develop a show for that time of year - kind of like they do at Christmas, or maybe even make it a full year long production. One of my favorite shows I have seen is "Forever Plaid"  - it's about a singing quartet that dies on their way to a show. I wouldn't think they would pay for the royalties for a show like that.......but SDC could build an old funeral parlor and have a show that features singers that are "trapped in time" and can't pass into the next life until they perfect their show. I think that would go great with the musical comedy that Branson is known for. And maybe if you did it during the fall, a creepiness could be added to it to play off the Halloween season.

Anyway, here' a trailer for "Forever Plaid" if you're not familiar with the production: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=forever+plaid&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=51BAB6325878F49AFB5E51BAB6325878F49AFB5E

Jay
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:18:50 PM by cowboy »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2015, 01:32:10 PM »

I'm not familiar with really any haunts around Branson that time of year, it seemed like everything is tied into crafts and the fall foliage. Are haunts popular around that area? Didn't there used to be a haunted house attraction in West Branson - is it still there? Has anyone been to the Castle of Chaos?

Maybe Silver Dollar City could develop a show for that time of year - kind of like they do at Christmas, or maybe even make it a full year long production. One of my favorite shows I have seen is "Forever Plaid"  - it's about a singing quartet that dies on their way to a show. I wouldn't think they would pay for the royalties for a show like that.......but SDC could build an old funeral parlor and have a show that features singers that are "trapped in time" and can't pass into the next life until they perfect their show. I think that would go great with the musical comedy that Branson is known for. And maybe if you did it during the fall, a creepiness could be added to it to play off the Halloween season.

Anyway, here' a trailer for "Forever Plaid" if you're not familiar with the production: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=forever+plaid&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=51BAB6325878F49AFB5E51BAB6325878F49AFB5E

Jay

Whatever rating the Castle of Chaos has earned, it is way - and I mean WAY overrated.  I don't like haunted things, but this thing was impossibly not haunted, not scary, and (dare I say) STUPID.  I wish the Wax Museum success, but come on!  Especially for the price.  I only did it because it was free to teachers a couple of years ago.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2015, 02:14:22 PM »
There is (or was) a ghost walk tour along Taneycomo for awhile.  I used to see them around dusk walking around with lanterns along the lakeshore.   ;D   That's about as Halloween as I've ever seen in Branson.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »
So... this thread has nothing to do with 2016... Instead, a personal wants thread and a what needs to be done thread...  ???
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »
So... this thread has nothing to do with 2016... Instead, a personal wants thread and a what needs to be done thread...  ???

Well, I don't think anyone except Swoosh has an idea of next years project. So, we're all giving our ideas on what we want to see done in 2016. However, I'm pretty sure there won't be anything related to Halloween added next year.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:04:01 PM by Tmboote »