Author Topic: General Forum Rules - (Updated)  (Read 15430 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
General Forum Rules - (Updated)
« on: July 11, 2007, 05:55:47 PM »
I believe that internet forums need to be as open and accepting as possible, so I avoid most forms of censorship or strict rules. This forum is intended to be fairly relaxed and self-controlled. Basically, don't be an ass. That's the all-encompassing rule.

With that said, here's a few guidelines:

• Absolutely no posting of confidential information relating to SDC or HFEC. This includes, but is not limited to, leaked ride announcements or information on future attraction development obtained from legitimate sources that was not meant to be shared. We do a lot of speculation on here, but there is a line between rumors and leaks. Ask me for more information if you are unsure of whether or not you will break this rule.
  • You can have links in your signatures, but if there are too many, or if it looks too much like an ad I'll take them out.
  • Debates are allowed, and encouraged, just don't turn it into a fight or take anything too seriously. If I see anyone continually taking "potshots" at each other, I'll force them to take a break from the forums.
  • You can post links to other sites, but don't spam. We actually have an entire board for posting sites as it is.
  • Be nice.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:26:45 PM by shavethewhales »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: General forum rules
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:30:04 AM »
I have a quick question:

What are the maximum size limits for avatars and signature banners? Are they going to be allowed?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:59:36 AM »
Avatars can be 100*100 pixels, and yes, signature banners are allowed, just don't make them huge and annoying.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 12:44:41 PM »
Okay, thanks! :)

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: General Forum Rules - (Updated)
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
Finally remembered to update this thread.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »
I believe that internet forums need to be as open and accepting as possible, so I avoid most forms of censorship or strict rules. This forum is intended to be fairly relaxed and self-controlled. Basically, don't be an ass. That's the all-encompassing rule.

With that said, here's a few guidelines:

• Absolutely no posting of confidential information relating to SDC or HFEC. This includes, but is not limited to, leaked ride announcements or information on future attraction development obtained from legitimate sources that was not meant to be shared. We do a lot of speculation on here, but there is a line between rumors and leaks. Ask me for more information if you are unsure of whether or not you will break this rule.
  • You can have links in your signatures, but if there are too many, or if it looks too much like an ad I'll take them out.
  • Debates are allowed, and encouraged, just don't turn it into a fight or take anything too seriously. If I see anyone continually taking "potshots" at each other, I'll force them to take a break from the forums.
  • You can post links to other sites, but don't spam. We actually have an entire board for posting sites as it is.
  • Be nice.
These guidelines/rules seem very reasonable and I think we should honor them. It is a privilege to have a forum like this to discuss all the things we love about SDC. I would hate to see it become like other threaded discussions you see on MSN, Fox News, etc. We are all family on here and should treat each other as such whether we agree or disagree on certain topics. Thanks for all you do to keep this site fun and engaging Shave.
Colorado SDC Fan

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 04:39:24 PM »
^^What Josh and Shave said!  Well stated!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »
Also, FYI: I finally remembered to write out the rule about not posting confidential information: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=3.msg3#msg3  

You need to define better what is considered a leak and what is considered in the public realm.  If they file a name for trademark, is that considered "postable"?  If they file construction permits and have a layout of the ride, is that considered "postable"?  If another site breaks the news and posts a leak are we to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist or is that considered "postable"?  Deciding now how you want to proceed will help you in the future - especially with larger projects on the horizon.  
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
Shave and Josh, I couldn't have said it better myself. But we do have a construction/rumor forum for a reason: to post rumors about rides and construction stuff. Are you saying we can't do that?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Once the trademark for FL was filed and found on a public site, Shave allowed it, last year.  I think we are saying that if it is found legitimately, it's all right, but if you get the information through any type of official channels, you should honor the confidentiality with which the information was provided.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
Also, FYI: I finally remembered to write out the rule about not posting confidential information: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=3.msg3#msg3  

You need to define better what is considered a leak and what is considered in the public realm.  If they file a name for trademark, is that considered "postable"?  If they file construction permits and have a layout of the ride, is that considered "postable"?  If another site breaks the news and posts a leak are we to ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist or is that considered "postable"?  Deciding now how you want to proceed will help you in the future - especially with larger projects on the horizon.  

Trademark filings fall into a grey area... but I think it's public enough that no one can hold it against us if we point it out. It's become par for the course with enthusiast communities anyway.

While still in the same grey area, I feel like anything publicly filed that has a layout picture in it that hasn't been announced yet shouldn't be posted. That's never been an issue yet though.

The main thing I want to avoid is a leak such as what happened in 2012 with the Outlaw Run announcement that was spoiled because HFEC's website team didn't know what they were doing. While it was their fault and it quickly exploded onto other forums, it was posted here first, and it gave us a bad reputation. If it happens again, I think we should cater to the park's wishes and pretend we don't see it.

Basically: don't give it away! A lot of this we have to play by ear because it's different every year. We usually narrow down what's going to be announced pretty closely by the time it's announced, but we do it through the natural progression of spotting clues and following rumors.