Author Topic: DW's 2009/10 Project: Adventure Mountain  (Read 13611 times)

sdcforever

Re: DW's 2009 Project: Adventure Mountain
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
^I haven't been, but I've read about Sky Hike.  It's open Friday-Sunday, and they have workers posted throughout on platforms to do everything from offer advice to carry people who freeze and can't go on.  It can accomodate about 300 people per hour now; initially it was much less but they modified how employees put the elaborate harnesses on people to increase the number they can put through in an hour.  I bet Dollywood will have to hire quite a few new employees for Adventure Mountain.  I wonder if it will only be open three days a week too?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 06:32:51 PM »
It would seem to be costly in an ongoing way with so many employees having to be involved.  Do you think it would take more than for a ride attraction?

It also seems there could be a problem with accusations about employees touching guests inappropriately while attaching harnesses (whether true or false).

(I still think the idea is a sound for the direction Dollywood has taken in since becoming Dollywood, but I don't see it themed well for SDC.  I would rather go with a native wildlife theme - without the modern accouterments - something like Disney's Animal Kingdom for the Ozarks.)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 06:58:40 PM »
It would seem to be costly in an ongoing way with so many employees having to be involved.  Do you think it would take more than for a ride attraction?

Sky Hike is pretty big.  Adventure Mountain it seems will be larger.  I think it will take more employees than a ride attraction, just because everything is spread out.  They will also have Camp Teachittome, which isn't even one of the five courses, that they will need to staff.  I think it is costly, which may be why Sky Hike is only open three days a week.  Perhaps Adventure Mountain will only be open three days a week as well.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 10:54:04 PM »
Seems like such a waste.  Why would you add something like that to a major amusement park?  To me it is a lawyer's nightmare or wet dream depending on what side of the fence they are on... I HOPE to heck that SDC does not add one of these.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 09:13:21 PM »
I HOPE to heck that SDC does not add one of these.

SDC has pulled a lot of risky things off but I don't think there'd be a good way for it to fit in at SDC. It'd look awful, especially if it looks the way that the concept art at Dollywood looks.

But I'm fine with it being at Dollywood.  ;D It's fine there, just so long as it doesn't show up at my park!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »
Obviously this project has been pushed back to 2010, but there are a couple of new things going in for 2009.  They are working at building a tunnel to connect the DW and Splash Country parking lots.  Also, Splash Country is getting the Big River Pavilion, a facility you can rent for groups of 40 or more, next year.  You can read more and look at pictures of the tunnel and pavilion construction on Screamscape:
http://www.screamscape.com/html/dollywood.htm

sdcforever

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2009, 08:15:18 AM »
Construction has finally begun on Adventure Mountain, which will open in 2010.  Here are a few photos:
http://parkthoughts.com/2009/07/19/adventure-mountain-contruction-has-begun/

sdcforever

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 07:48:37 AM »
This now 2010 project is coming along.  Here are two photos of the construction and one piece of concept art.  Click the arrows to scroll through the photos.  It already looks impressively large. :)

http://screamscape.com/html/dw_-_2010_0.htm

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 12:19:22 AM »
It's impressively large, I'll grant you that, but the whole thing just screams pointless to me. I mean, you mossey across a few 5-foot gaps with various kinds of foothold, covered to the tooth with safety harnesses. It's like all the lamest parts of rock climbing with none of the cool parts.

It's not nearly done yet, so I'm ready to be blown away, but I have a sinking feeling that this is going to be a huge let down come opening day. I was looking forward to the other stuff shown in the concept artwork, but it looks like the real thing isn't very similar to that. I hope they still have the waterfalls and little boat rides for kids.

I guess we'll see. HFEC hasn't let us down so far...

sdcforever

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 08:35:01 AM »
I'm not big on AM, either, and I also hope they go all out with the theming.  However, I am disappointed at how cartoonish DW's splash battle is, so I'm being realistic with my theming expectations for AM.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 02:23:13 PM »
What exactly is the theme of DW these days?  It's obviously not bound by a point in history.  I had thought when Dolly became involved that the theme was her life.

Is it the Smoky Mountains in general? 
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 04:23:31 PM »
Well, DW has no overall theme.  There are themed areas of the park.  Some are themed on east Tennessee, others the Southern Appalachian region, and a couple on Dolly Parton's life.  Here's the info straight from DW:  "Dollywood is organized into ten themed areas. The Showstreet, Rivertown Junction, Craftsmen's Valley, Village, Country Fair, Timber Canyon, and Jukebox Junction areas reflect the historical eras and culture of east Tennessee, while the Dreamland Forest and Adventures in Imagination areas explore Dolly Parton's life and imagination. Many attractions at Dollywood preserve the history and culture of the Southern Appalachian region."

FYI:  Adventure Mountain is part of the new (established in 2008) Wilderness Pass area, which connects Timber Canyon and Craftsmen's Valley.  This area also includes the new River Battle and the SkyZip attraction.

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 03:25:55 PM »
They kept the 1880s town theme for the first few years of Dollywood, (they still had a "Town Mayor" character, a deputy and stuff like that) but then by the mid-90s the atmosphere just went all over the place.  That's when the park's vibe started changing, now it doesn't seem special like it use to.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:49:14 PM by Dukefan »

Fury Fire Chief

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • You've got a great past ahead of you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
Here's an interesting video for everyone.  From Dollywood Publicity's youtube page:
ADVENTURE MOUNTAIN TEASER!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxc85VSPq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUxc85VSPq8

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »
From the sounds of it, AM has been well received and has already fostered waits of an hour and a half on opening weekend. Not bad for what it is. I hope someone writes a more detailed review soon. I think the real test is how popular it will be in 3-5 years though...