Author Topic: First Trip to SDC  (Read 9998 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: First Trip to SDC
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 09:26:24 PM »
Our philosophy is that by the time we have waited in line to get on the tram, we can already be at the gate (or our car). 
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 09:26:42 PM »
My family and I stayed at Still Waters a few winters ago. It was REALLY nice, and quite a good price for how nice, too. I think you'll like it.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 12:36:33 PM »
My wife has bad neck and back so we ride the tram. Also, I just enjoy the tram ride up to the front gate. Always considered it my first ride coming in.  ;D

GoBears

• View Profile
    • SFGAm Nation
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »
My family and I stayed at Still Waters a few winters ago. It was REALLY nice, and quite a good price for how nice, too. I think you'll like it.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm looking forward to it! I got a great deal on their motel/SDC ticket package from SDC's website for next month.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
You can always drop off those who might have problems riding the tram, and then go park.

1morCast

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 09:33:39 AM »
Howdy,

I've been lurking for a spell and when I saw this Subject I just had to respond.  My first trip was the summer of '72 (wish I could remember which month) when my family bought our fishing cabin on Bull Shoals.  I've seen several folks mention having tickets punched before going on rides....but, for the life of me, I don't remember that at all.  Oh well, it's not important.  The important thing is I was fortunate enough to have experienced SDC in those early years.  I remember being nervous about riding FITH as I wasn't a roller coaster fan (yet), but when I finally did ride it I fell in love.  I can't remember a single ride back then that I didn't like and there was plenty to keep an 8 year old busy all day!

I've been fortunate also to introduce my wife to SDC a couple of years ago and she also has fallen in love with it.  She so wants to cook in one of the giant skillets that it makes me want to find one for us to use when go camping.  My wife was a Disney World fan and the parallels between the two parks (theme, customer service, cleanliness, and overall quality) is astounding.  SDC, in my humble opinion, has become the better value.

Getting back to SDC memories...we went every summer after that until I graduated HS and I moved out of the area.  Makes me wish my job was there so we could move back to stay....and to visit SDC every summer all over again.  Just have to make that long drive to come back to get my SDC fix!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
WELCOME! 1moreCast...glad to have ya here! Come visit anytime... ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

GoBears

• View Profile
    • SFGAm Nation
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 10:23:56 PM »
One week from tomorrow until I leave for Branson! Not doing anything the day I arrive since it's an 8 hour (with stops maybe 9-10 hours) one way from my house. I am planning on checking out the area though. I heard the Farm House Restaurant was a good place to checkout. Any other restaurants or shops in the area that's worth visiting?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »
Hubs and I like Danna's BBQ on 165.  We also like Cantina Lareda and The Paddlewheel Pub.  Food at the Paddlewheel is just your typical burgers, chicken, etc., but it's a fun place to eat and sit by Taneycomo on a nice day.

Super

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
The Rowdy Beaver has great food on the strip

GoBears

• View Profile
    • SFGAm Nation
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
I saw on SDC's website that they open this breakfast buffet at the park an hour before the attractions open. Where in the park is this place and does anything else (not meaning rides which open at 9:30 but other restaurants/shops) open before the attractions do?

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »
The shops on the square are open. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »
Go Bears-the restaurant you are inquiring about is Mollies mill. Located on the square. Basically the square is where most people gather waiting for the opening ceremonies and chain drop.

Now then-you will go thru the ticket gate, remain forward-passing Delilahs (MMMM those cinnamon rolls), keep going thru the hospitality house (big store and Marvel Cave entrance). Then after exiting the store, kinda hang to the right, and Mollies is over here. ---- It is a typical buffet style breakfast with all the expected foods. (Sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, biscuits&gravy, pancakes, fresh fruit) I probably forget something, but the menu is available on SDC website

The stores leading up to-and in-the square will be open before chain drop. Everything on the other side of the square does not open early.

Have Fun BEARS !!!
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

GoBears

• View Profile
    • SFGAm Nation
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 09:48:13 AM »
Thanks a lot for the tips guys! I'll write a review when I get back home to northern Illinois on Saturday.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 09:08:39 AM »
Bears, hope you are enjoying your trip!
DH and I will be making a quick jaunt down to the City this afternoon for a few hours. The weather should be absolutely wonderful today!
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"