Author Topic: anybody plan first 2014 trip yet  (Read 11025 times)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: anybody plan first 2014 trip yet
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »
Will be going to SDC opening day.   Might check in to the Belle as well.  Looking forward to going to a few antique stores as well.   
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 06:38:26 PM »
Sometime in April..

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 09:49:48 AM »
Depends on the weather

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 10:23:50 AM »
My crew is going on the 22nd.  We would go opening weekend, but I am tied down with District Music Contests on both Friday and Saturday.... and while I am excited about getting back to the 'City, I am more excited about the following week (Spring Break) when I am going to Dollywood.
SWOOSH

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 07:18:05 PM »
Swoosh,  I don't always LIKE your answers, but I always trust what you say. So I want to ask you this.(and anyone else too).

I have never been to Dollywood. Always wanted to.
1-my wife gets carsick, in your opinion, do you think she could make that trip(by car)?
2-if you could only make one trip this year, and your choices was Dollywood or SDC. What would you pick? Why?
3-(FWIW) when is the best time to visit Dollywood?

Swoosh I sure would appreciate your opinions here, and Thank You in advance.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 10:27:50 PM »
1. Most of the trip will be very flat.  Very few hills - and very straight roads.  IDK if that would make a difference or not
2. Both are great parks and have their own charm.  You can't go to DW and expect SDC (and vice versa) they have their own identity.  Personally if it was me, and I had never been to DW, I'd go there knowing that SDC will be there the next time.  That's just me though, I like to experience new things
3. Just like SDC, you avoid the summer and the Christmas seasons.  Everything else is doable.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 07:51:32 AM »
Dollywood is worth a trip as is the Smokey Mountain Parks.  I have been twice and would recommend the park to a SDC fan.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »
Thank you Swoosh and MH .

Yes the straighter the roads, the better for my wife.  She usually does OK going to Branson. The mountains just south of Ozark on 65 sometimes gets to her. The part of the road in the hills of Rolla (right at the Rolla exits) get her sick usually.  So I wonder about the Smokeys, from Nashville to Knoxville.

One last question (If I may).

How are the Motels priced in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area?
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »
I was only there once many years ago when the hubs had a conference to attend.  From what I could tell, lodging is much higher than what you would find in Branson.  Since we didn't have to pay for a room, I didn't have to look for lodging, but we liked it there and looked at the price of cabins.  They were out of our price range many, many years ago.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »
When I checked last year there were reasonably priced motels in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. 

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
The part of the road in the hills of Rolla (right at the Rolla exits) get her sick usually.  So I wonder about the Smokeys, from Nashville to Knoxville.

One last question (If I may).

How are the Motels priced in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area?

Tn is fairly flat until you get to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge itself is actually very flat.  I don't think car sickness is an issue.
I went to Bass Pro and intentionally let the time share folks sell me a package that caused me to spend 1.5 hours looking at a time share but I got 2 nights free in a hotel and a dinner as well.  Hotels are not cheap and they are not that nice either.  I have also rented a cabin and that was very nice, if you go to trip adviser you can look on up by dates and see the prices.  The mountains are large in Gatlinburg, they aren't the bunny hills of the Ozarks that can turn you green fast.

RJW

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »
Already been twice. January 24-26, and January 29-February 2. Next trip February 21-23. All for trout tournaments on Taneycomo. Plans made for my birthday in April, another trip in May. Nothing planned yet for the rest of the Summer, but back again in October, and for Thanksgiving. Also, after skipping this past New Years, we will be planning to return for New Year 2015.
All visits are at Lillys' Landing Resort and Marina. Really great place we have been staying at for over 20 years.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
We will be making a trip in March to SDC *fingers crossed*. DH has asked off for both Thursday the 20 and 27. Either week will be after the Springfield area schools have their break, with hopefully equals nice low crowds for us. We will go one of those days, weather cooperating. (Last year we had a March trip planned that we cancelled due to snow. If this weather we've been having continues, we may not make it again.)
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

GoBears

• View Profile
    • SFGAm Nation
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »
Going to SDC for my very first time on March 20-21!

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »
Welcome, GoBears, I'm originally from the Chicago area & proud to say I was at the opening of both Old Chicago & Marriott's Great America :)  Hope to run into you at work!
RIP Chippewa Lake Park