Author Topic: First Time to SDC  (Read 3032 times)

tutley

• View Profile
First Time to SDC
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »
Help!

We (me, hubby, DD18, DD14, DS8, DS6, DD5) are going to SDC tomorrow (in the park Friday and Saturday) for our first time ever.  We will be staying in the cabins.  I've read this forum, but not knowing anything about the park I'm hoping you SDC vetrans can enlighten me on "can't miss" things.

Any help/hints you could provide is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:16:00 PM by tutley »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: First Time to SDC
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:34:13 PM »
WOW!  quite a crew...  2 days?  what not to miss?  with the age variety you have? turn the oldsters loos and let them ride the rides! meanwhile catch the 2 big shows and the saloon show...  frosty for the little ones.. enjoy the lights,the parade, the lighting of the tree.... don't forget the shops and craftsmen...... then on the 2nd day................  regroup, you will be better organized..!

HAVE FUN!!!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
Do everything Sanddune suggested.  Make sure you visit the craftsmen including the glass blower, the candy maker, the bread bakers at Delilahs, the blacksmith, and the furniture makers.  Catch a show by the Homestead Pickers.  I think even your teens might enjoy it (well…for a few minutes, anyway).  SDC is famous for their skillet bowls.  I would definitely give one a try.  The tree lighting goes off about every half hour (I think).  It's pretty cool. 

After your first day on park, have a family talk and make a plan for the second day.  That way you won't miss anything.  Be prepared to stand in long lines.  Veterans Weekend is busy, busy, busy!

dc_mpa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
I'm super excited to hear about your first trip to SDC. Please update us on how it went when things settle down from the trip.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 05:50:58 AM »
Wow.  :)

I was DS6 on my first trip, and went annually until I was not-so-DS20.  ;D

I've made a few trips since then, but I agree with the earlier suggestions: turn the oldest two loose, probably with #3 in tow if they get along well, and maybe with all the youngers if you trust them all.

Don't hover. Trust the kids.  :) I had free run of the park from the age of 8.

There are some rides the youngest two might not be able to go on.

The two things I suggest the whole family do as a group, are the cave tour and the train ride. They are memory makers all to themselves, distinct from anything else in the City.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »
KBCraig is right about the train and cave tour being great memory makers.  That's also two things in the park that haven't changed all that much.  You're going to have a great day!