Author Topic: In Memorium  (Read 9433 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Arkie Phillips of Horsecreek Band passes
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »
Note:  This post has been merged to the In Memorium thread to keep the list together.  (History Buff)

Long-time member of the Horsecreek Band, Arkie Phillips, passed away yesterday.  In case you're not familiar with him, he was the guy who played the stand-up bass, and was the best I ever saw.  Having played with Horsecreek for thirty-five years or so, he was one of the "real" characters at the City, always with a kind word, a smile, and a laugh.  He had been ill for a number of months, and at the end was on life sustaining equipment, but his family decided to take him off it and he passed quickly after that.  We'll miss him. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:40:52 PM by Zephon »
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: In Memorium
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 04:52:46 PM »
It would be nice to have pictures to go with some of these names.  Can anyone help?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 10:19:32 PM »
I agree! So many of the talented craftsmen, and musicians there I know by face but not always by name.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 01:26:12 AM »
I remember Arkie Phillips. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 08:38:48 AM »
Sorry to hear about Arkie. Also want to add this one, too:  Bruce Bowlin played a river rat at the Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride in 1980, and also was one of the original "daredevils" working at the American Plunge in '81. He also worked with me at nights at Hee Haw Theater about '81 or '82. He was part of the parking lot crew. Bruce died suddenly and unexpectedly in 2003 at his home on Poverty Point on Table Rock Lake, (Just down a mile or two away from the Showboat.) This fellow was a true friend, and his family...parents, sister, later his wife...all like second family to me. God rest his spirit! Bruce was one of a kind. He left behind two daughters. I wish them both well.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
Also, this weekend, Sheri "Sher-Bear", who worked in the employee lounge, passed.  A sad weekend, indeed.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »
I remember Arkie Phillips well.  So sorry to hear of his death.

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 08:25:43 PM »
I think we need to face a very sad fact that a lot of our history is leaving us with the passing of these and others.  We need t cherish what we have left.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 11:45:43 PM »
Visit the Evergreen Cemetery on West Highway 76 just down from Indian Point Road. Sometimes it's referred to as the Shepherd of the Hills Cemetery...walk among those headstones and see names like Hugo and Mary Herschend, Levi Morrill (Uncle Ike) Shad and Mollie Heller, and many, many other prominent people from Branson tourism over the last 75 to a hundred years. It is a sobering fact, but people grow old, and the next generation takes over. Somewhat of a scary thought, but it's my generation in control now, but our kids and grandkids will soon be taking over.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

risa1964

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »
I am new to this site but have been going to SDC for years. I miss Stacy from the Time Machine Band, and Charlie, who was the stage manager for the Echo Hollow show, he died on our wedding anniversary a few years ago.