Author Topic: Anyone remember old Cabin/shack in the woods(valley) on 76?  (Read 4510 times)

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
It was way down in the valley, surrounded by trees about halfway between Branson and SDC. Barely a speck it seemed. Would have been on the right side when traveling toward Branson and one could peer over the guardrail, look down. My mom always pointed it out when i was younger. 60's and 70's. Wonder what happened to it.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone remember old Cabin/shack in the woods(valley) on 76?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 10:12:48 AM »
The cabin I think you are talking about was located deep inside Mutton Hollow...the actual Mutton Hollow, not the little theme park that proceeded Branson USA. There were at one time several cabins in the Mutton Hollow neighborhood that were "cast" as cabins lived in by the actual people Harold Bell Wright based characters on for the Shepherd of the Hills book. For instance, there is a "Fiddlin' Jake's" cabin and a "Mandy Ford" cabin in the vicinity. There used to be a "Wash Gibbs" cabin. Also there was a "Jim Lane" cabin that actually was preserved by the Shepherd of the Hills Historical Society, although it has since been torn down. Anyway, I think that cabin in Mutton Hollow allegedly was the cabin lived in by "The Shepherd" at the Mutton Hollow Sheep Ranch mentioned in the book. If you go to the play, the cabin they set fire to in each performance is supposed to be the cabin the Shepherd lived in. The cabin in Mutton Hollow allegedly is the REAL cabin, but since cabins in the neighborhood were used by locals at the turn of the last century to lure tourists to for pictures, refreshments and cheap souvenirs, who knows really if any of them were lived in by people Wright based characters on. In one interview from years ago that Wright gave, he claimed NOT to have based most of the characters on people in the neighborhood except for Old Matt and Aunt Molly and Uncle Ike the Postmaster, and maybe a few others. People who lived in the area and kind of fit the description of a character took that characters personality and developed their little act for the tourist trade, which, as it turned out for Branson was much better money than growing a patch of corn or working in the tomato canning factories. 
---
The cabin in Mutton Hollow was used in the mid '70s to the mid '80s as a stop over place for the trail rides that wound through Mutton Hollow and originated at the stables in the Mutton Hollow arts and crafts village that proceeded Branson USA theme park. I actually went on one of the short trail rides as a date with a girl I knew back in 1983. However, the trail ride I was on did not go to the cabin. The riders on the extended trail rides used the cabin as a midway point on their trail ride. They would stop and have breakfast on the breakfast rides, or a steak dinner there for the steak rides. After the meal, they would get back on the horses and meander their way back to the stables at Mutton Hollow. Anyway, from your Branson vacations going along Highway 76 westward, you would have seen the cabin while going around Dewey Bald Mountain, and you may have seen some horses and riders down in that vicinity. So what I have explained here about the trail rides to the cabin should answer your question. Thanks for bringing back some fond memories for me, too!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »
Looks like it has been gone for a while. Wonder if the weather did it in.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:00:28 AM »
No idea what happened to it. The entire parcel of land has been offered at times on the real estate market, maybe a developer or new owner took it out.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:15:33 PM »
I remember my first time going to Branson in 1963 when I was 4 years old. As my family was driving around the side of Dewey Bald, my dad pointed down toward Mutton Hollow and said, "If you look way down there, you can see a little cabin through the trees."

I asked, "Who's cabin is it?"

Dad said, "It's the old Shepherd's cabin. That's where he lived when he was watching the sheep."

In my mind it was all real. It was just one of the many evidences that this place--that the Shepherd of the Hills story was real. I had not read the book yet at that point (couldn't read yet). But that day, my dad was pointing out landmarks everywhere and relating the story of what happened there. Not once did he tell me the book was (--spoiler alert--) that it was only fiction.

That day made a big impression on me. I have never shaken the excitement I felt that day, to this very day. The old Shepherd, Old Matt, Aunt Mollie, Young Matt, Wash Gibbs, Jim Lane, and his beautiful daughter Sammy Lane were real. They lived outside the covers of that book and the evidence was all around me.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
No idea what happened to it. The entire parcel of land has been offered at times on the real estate market, maybe a developer or new owner took it out.

Would this be the piece on the west side of 376? Down by the quarry?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »
Reply to previous post: Yes! :)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:26:36 PM »
There's a house or something down there now isn't there? Seems like there's a gated driveway right there around the bridge on 376.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »
We always look for it too.  I believe it is still there.  There is just a lot of overgrowth.  I'll hike on down there next summer and have a look see.  ;D
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.