Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 103651 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes
« Reply #225 on: April 04, 2014, 07:56:53 PM »
Havent seen it yet, when we there for YCW, they were have some kind of "sunday meeting" there...... ;D...

hopefull see it in 3 weeks, supposed to be there on the 27th.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2014, 12:41:41 AM »
Hi-Striker has been moved to its new pad in GE.  It's still out of place, but clearly less so.  It seems hidden more in the trees, but was still not open.  Here's the old location without the ugly thing (I failed to take a picture of the new installation.):

Then there is this.  I've passed this area a few times, but this was the first visit I saw the new water fountain across from the potatoes and kettle corn at the barn:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 12:44:30 AM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
I didn't notice that water fountain. Looks good, but probably needs more indication that it's actually a drinking fountain and not just a piece of theming.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »
Then there is this.  I've passed this area a few times, but this was the first visit I saw the new water fountain across from the potatoes and kettle corn at the barn:

We were there a week ago, and I remember seeing the sign and pipe, but the barrel wasn't there (as far as I can remember).
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
wow I missed that too..  looks good.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 06, 2014, 05:28:07 PM »
This is put out each year, after the threat of freezing temps are gone.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

CrazyScarecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2014, 01:27:23 AM »
Some changes I spotted in the park that aren't yet listed.

The Ghost Trap down the by the Huck Finn Treehouse seems to have a better motion sensor! It worked everytime me, my cousin, and my sister walked pass it. Usually it take 10 minutes of us jumping around it looking like idiots for it to go.

Not sure how long this has been though the head in whirlpool in American Plunge is gone. Don't know if that is something changed or if it has been like that for a while.

In Fire in the Hole, the cowboy guy in the beginning of the ride with cow has been taken out. Along with other change in Fire in the Hole is a Baldknobber standing right where the train hill is. I was thrilled to see another Baldknobber!

I know this isn't new to this year, but new by the end of last year, but the changes of characters in the Flooded Mine. Some of the original ones are left though it looks like a lot were replaced by these nice shiny looking ones. They scare me.

In Grandpa's Mansion it looks like we got a new looking Grandpa sitting up in the window above the interest. It looks like Grandma is taking shower without any problems and her head is also removed from the mirror for a stupid multiple light thing. I want Grandma's head back in the mirror. I feel like some charm went out of that mirror. Also a new gag in basement has you look through a whole to end up looking at your eye.

Something else, but one time I went through there a worker was sitting by the music box up front. Not sure if this is something new (having worker's sit up front on occasions) or something the worker was doing to scare people (it worked on my cousin) during a break, but I thought I would share that. I found it funny.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »

Regarding Grandfather's Mansion...Im confused what you are saying about the face in the mirror. Does it no longer work? The Face is gone?
You have a great past just ahead of you.

CrazyScarecrow

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 28, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »
The face is gone. They have taken the face out and replaced it with a line of lights. It has to be the stupidest, cheapest replacement ever.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #234 on: July 28, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
I had heard that, but I completely forgot to check on it last time I was there.

Just another in a long list of stupid changes done to make the park more politically correct. Notice almost all references to hill billy's are gone as well, unless its in reference to a TV show... I'm actually very surprised they haven't gotten rid of the baldknobbers already, but maybe we shouldn't give them ideas.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 28, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
WHAT??!!!

Dang, that really is stupid. I will make a point to go look at that next time I am at the park. I don't understand why the face would be removed. How could that be taken the wrong way? "hey, im old, that face is of an old person..how rude"  ::)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 28, 2014, 12:13:18 PM »
Its just a big sign about how far the great AP has fallen. I remember coming to SDC a couple times a year with my family when I was younger and AP was always my favorite water ride. But now that they've taken away pretty much all of the theme from it, its lost a lot of its luster. I hate that the tunnel is all boarded up and nothing more than darkness. I really wish they'd revamp it a little bit and bring back some of the theme elements.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 28, 2014, 12:18:05 PM »
Its just a big sign about how far the great AP has fallen. I remember coming to SDC a couple times a year with my family when I was younger and AP was always my favorite water ride. But now that they've taken away pretty much all of the theme from it, its lost a lot of its luster. I hate that the tunnel is all boarded up and nothing more than darkness. I really wish they'd revamp it a little bit and bring back some of the theme elements.

Yup!  The flume was fun, but we always rode it just for the theming.  I don't really care to ride it anymore.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 28, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »
very frustrating.  Makes me do this  ??? regarding their rationale.  Apathy is a very bad thing, and that is what we are seeing with AP and theme.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 28, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
The face is gone. They have taken the face out and replaced it with a line of lights. It has to be the stupidest, cheapest replacement ever.

When I was there last week, the mirror didn't even work at all. I felt pretty dumb when I told people to look in the mirror.....they did and nothing happened  >:(

AP, is a good flume, if that's all you are expecting (but the earlier versions of this ride have spoiled us). The tunnel now has lanterns in it, so it's not completely dark, but it just has vertical walls so no place for any theme elements at all. If they were going to do anything like they used to have, they would have to completely tear down and start over. Besides the tunnel, the whirlpool is in a sad state of repair and none of the other props are there anymore. This ride could really use some attention. The splash down is still great and gets you good and wet...something that's pretty rare on any other flume I've ridden.

I've said it several times on here, but if SDC would just rehab the AP, Flooded Mine, Fire In the Hole and the tunnel on Lost River, they would really have an incredible solid line up of rides. Maybe they could do this in 2016 after Fireman's Landing in 2015 and before the next big rollercoaster.

Jay