Author Topic: Old Bookstore  (Read 13574 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Old Bookstore
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »
The SDCfans antique bookstore and collectables shop  :D

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
Another fan of the bookshop and the printshop. I used to love getting "old-timey" posters made there -- anyone remember the "comic-looking" Baldknobber poster?

I bought my now-weathered copy of Hartman & Ingenthron's Baldknobber history at the SDC bookshop. I agree 100% that there needs to be some sort of Ozarks history book store that sells Randolph/Mitch Jayne/Milton Rafferty/Lynn Morrow books -- of course, Lynn's book about Shepherd of the Hills country might not be too popular, as it "pops" some myths.  ::)

T.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
I've got Lynn's SOTH Country book; it was a "textbook" for one of my Ozarks classes. I thought it was great to find out more info on Marmaros... (ie one of the myths that gets "popped", lol)

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 09:14:22 AM »
"SOTH Country" is a great book, even though I disagree with him just a wee bit on his comments about "the bull goose of the Ozarks", Vance Randolph.  ;D

Trying to stay on topic here, with the demise of "The Ozarks Mountaineer" and the SDC bookshop, I'm unaware of any real Ozarks speciality book shops, save the regional shelves at Barnes & Noble. The Wilson's Creek National Battlefield's gift shop does carry a few Ozarks-related titles, as do other state & national historic sites (Nathan Boone Homestead, Ozarks National Senic Riverways, etc.)

T.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »
For those of us who don't have the book to which you are referring, what is the Marmaros myth that was popped?

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
http://books.google.com/books?id=6D0-YmjQfdsC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Shepherd of the Hills Country: Tourism Transforms the Ozarks, 1880s-1930s By Lynn Morrow, Linda Myers-Phinney

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »
I've got the Morrow book, too. It does take an honest, plain spoken look at tourism myths about the Ozarks. It took me awhile to accept some of it, but, she's probably right. I also have a biography on Vance Randolph by Robert Cochran that tells his life story, and Vance, "Bull-Goose" that he was, had a hardscrabble life to some extent, an alcoholic, somewhat of a "dandy," never had much money of  his own until later, and when I visited the Veterans Cemetery where he is buried, not even the cemetery superintendent knew who he was. Kind of sad. Some of the folks who built up the Ozarks in literature and in tourism put on somewhat of a front at times to sell their ideas or projects. That's marketing, I guess.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Old Bookstore: OT
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »
I've got the Morrow book, too. It does take an honest, plain spoken look at tourism myths about the Ozarks. It took me awhile to accept some of it, but, she's probably right. I also have a biography on Vance Randolph by Robert Cochran that tells his life story, and Vance, "Bull-Goose" that he was, had a hardscrabble life to some extent, an alcoholic, somewhat of a "dandy," never had much money of  his own until later, and when I visited the Veterans Cemetery where he is buried, not even the cemetery superintendent knew who he was. Kind of sad. Some of the folks who built up the Ozarks in literature and in tourism put on somewhat of a front at times to sell their ideas or projects. That's marketing, I guess.

The next time I'm in "Fayettepatch", I plan on making a pilgrimage to Randolph's grave. What I found the most tragic in Cochran's biography as to how hated Randolph, May Kennedy McCord and others were by the so-called "progressive" crowd in the Ozarks were -- the scene where Vance and McCord, "The Queen of the Hillbillies", were publically called out for their work in Springfield comes to mind. Ironically, these are the same folks that Lynn Morrow discusses in SOTH Country (Lynn is a great guy, btw. I met him a couple of times when I was working for the Greene Co. Archives as an intern in graduate school.) As much as a love the Cochran book, it just isn't the most readable in terms of a biography of Randolph. I've always wanted to tackle that project, but no time.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 03:07:56 AM »
Glad to see there are others here who read regional history material. I love the stuff, and have a personal library with hundreds of titles. I also have a lot of back issues of Ozarks Mountaineer, Ozarks Reader, and other regional periodicals. I keep a newspaper clipping file on various Ozarks topics of interest to me, as well. I've got copies of the books mentioned on this thread. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 07:36:13 AM »
It might be fun for several of us to compose a "must read" list of 10-15 books relating to local history...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »
I think my must read list would have to include more titles than that! :)  I'd say read as many Vance Randolph titles as possible, Milton Rafferty, Leland and Crystal Payton, Brooks Blevins, Ernest Otto Rayburn, Ellen Gray Massey, throw in Donald Harrington, Ernie Deane, Lynn Morrow and Linda Myers Phinney, Robert K. Gilmore, Phyllis Rossiter, Larry Dabblemont, Tom Koob, Phillip Steele, and that just scratches the surface. Elmo Ingonthron did a great job with his trilogy, and many, many folk who wrote little booklets sold in tourist shops did a really good job of telling Ozark tales and stories, and bits of local history you won't find anywhere else...but be careful of the non-academic, touristy stuff, as some of it just plays on the hillbilly image and is partially or totally made up crap to sell to the vacationers. After you have read several sources, you will be able to determine most of the time what is the truth and what is made up.

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
I think my must read list would have to include more titles than that! :)  I'd say read as many Vance Randolph titles as possible, Milton Rafferty, Leland and Crystal Payton, Brooks Blevins, Ernest Otto Rayburn, Ellen Gray Massey, throw in Donald Harrington, Ernie Deane, Lynn Morrow and Linda Myers Phinney, Robert K. Gilmore, Phyllis Rossiter, Larry Dabblemont, Tom Koob, Phillip Steele, and that just scratches the surface. Elmo Ingonthron did a great job with his trilogy, and many, many folk who wrote little booklets sold in tourist shops did a really good job of telling Ozark tales and stories, and bits of local history you won't find anywhere else...but be careful of the non-academic, touristy stuff, as some of it just plays on the hillbilly image and is partially or totally made up crap to sell to the vacationers. After you have read several sources, you will be able to determine most of the time what is the truth and what is made up.

That sounds very similar to what I tell my students, Junior. To place the Ozarks in the larger context of American history, I recommend Stephen Aron's American Confluence, which is a history of the Missouri-Mississippi River "confluence region", and the unique mixture of Osage, Eastern Woodland Indians (Shawnee, Cherokee, etc.), French, Spanish, African and American cultures; cultural studies such as David Hackett Fisher's Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in North America, and in particular his chapter on the Northern British (Scotland, Northern England and Ulster); Leyburn's The Scotch-Irish: a Social History, which is still the best one-volume history of the Scots-Irish/Ulster-Scots; McWhinney's Cracker Culture, although I am wary of all of the late Dr. McWhinney's theory of "Southern=Celtic, Northern Teutonic" societies, and the collection of essays entitled The Thistle and the Brier, which discusses the Scottish influences on Appalachia.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
An illustrated kid's adaption of Tom Sawyer, the Will Vinton claymation movie "The Adventures of Mark Twain," the Little House on the Prairie books, and the TV show "Christy" were what I grew up with, so when I moved to Missouri at age 8, I had already developed an emotional connection with rural Missouri. I'm not remotely surprised that the Ozarks ended up becoming very special to me.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 02:53:55 AM »
Clancymon: Thanks for the complement.   Joy: I agree with your choices, too. There is so much rich history in the region, it's too bad more don't take a closer look.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
Maybe a little book called Shepherd of the Hills should be on that must read list too.... Just saying