Author Topic: The Waterfall  (Read 18065 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: The Waterfall
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 10:02:39 PM »
SDC Gal, my wife does not "get it" either. I tell her about how things changed at SDC over the years, or how Branson had this or that back in the old days, and she just rolls her eyes! Hard to explain things to her...or my kids or grandkids...they are just interested in running to the next ride! Memories worth repeating, though!  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 09:31:58 AM »
SDC Gal, Junior, et. al, on behalf of those of us who weren't alive then and do want to hear those stories: Thank you!!!!!
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 09:57:02 AM »
OK, as the occasion arises, you'll get your old time days stories! I do like telling those stories to those who have an interest. They were fun times.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 10:54:16 AM »
I have told so many stories that my wife now knows them, and could tell them herself! I am lucky she puts up with me!

jennjenn22

• My younger self enjoyed carousels and getting hurt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
I realize it's been a while since this topic has been discussed, but I remember this feature. It had to come down in the early to mid '90s (otherwise, I'd have no memory of it). I have a photo of the waterfall (see below), but you'll have to excuse how nerdy I look.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:03:48 AM by jennjenn22 »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 10:04:18 AM »
Very neat! Thanks for sharing the picture. The waterfall definitely adds some audible ambiance to the park. Still miss being able to walk behind it. :)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
Looks like wood chips on the ground. I remember when they were all over that area. I remember at one point during a crafts festival they had the coin press and the rope maker over there. Anybody else remember these, or have I gone senile?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »
No, you remember correctly. Now this will challenge many of you. Do you remember when the entire area from the railroad bridge at the Saloon all the way down to the lake was not paved, when they had just wood chips and sawdust spread on the ground? That was when the "new" area of the park was called "The Deepwoods," between it's opening in 1977 through about 1984 or '85. They began paving some of the area beginning about '81, but it was a slow process, just a little bit at a time until it was done. Wonderful on sunny days, total mess on rainy days, I can guarantee you! :)

Hollwood

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2013, 03:11:04 PM »
I posted this in the "Your Ride Ideas" thread, but it works here also!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »

Or a bobsled style coaster that goes behind the waterfall, or both interacting with each other, or just leave it as a natural area, or refurb it with more realistic detail.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2013, 07:17:36 PM »
No, you remember correctly. Now this will challenge many of you. Do you remember when the entire area from the railroad bridge at the Saloon all the way down to the lake was not paved, when they had just wood chips and sawdust spread on the ground? That was when the "new" area of the park was called "The Deepwoods," between it's opening in 1977 through about 1984 or '85. They began paving some of the area beginning about '81, but it was a slow process, just a little bit at a time until it was done. Wonderful on sunny days, total mess on rainy days, I can guarantee you! :)

Most definitely -- and sawdust in your shoes is a bad thing when walking the hills.

I also remember log-rolling contests there.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »

The run-out after the plunge is going to be a problem, though.  ;)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »

Haha, that's hilarious! I can just imagine all the wet burgers, and fries at the Lumber Camp. :D

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 01:09:17 PM »
One of my earliest memories is wathcing the log rolling contest and losing my parents in the crowd for what seemed like forever. Might have been 5 or 10 minutes...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
Prior to building the AP, as part of an employee suggestion survey, I suggested using the upper dining area of the lumbercamp as a loading area, and a flume built on the hillside, with the flume going under the falls where people used to walk. A manager told me they couldn't do that because the lumbercamp used the upper dining area too much. My thought, which I kept to myself at the time, was..."no vision" on the managers part. Ha! Funny looking back all these years and seeing a similar idea posted here! ;D