Author Topic: Been a busy week...  (Read 3588 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Been a busy week...
« on: May 28, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »
I've been away from the forum for a few days, but I've been busy.

My house burned down.

Not the house we just bought in NH, but the house in Texas where I was still living until my job transfer goes through. I've been working on it, remodeling and getting it ready to put on the market. Last Tuesday night/early Wednesday morning, it burned while I was at work on graveyard shift. Total loss.

Thankfully it was just "stuff", and insured, but what a pain this is going to be. I'm in a hotel right now, and they'll probably move me to a furnished corporate apartment in a couple of weeks, until everything is settled with the insurance.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Been a busy week...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »
Man that SUX!!!   sounds like you have a grip on it thought..  good luck...  glad it was only "stuff", it will be missed I know, BUT you can replace "stuff"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 11:29:39 AM »
That's terrible. :( Hope this week is better. They are calling for more storms here in Oklahoma. Everybody be safe

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 04:04:52 PM »
AHHH!  :-\ I've had three relatives loose their homes in fires. It's never easy, but glad to hear no one was hurt! God bless!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »
How horrible, KB!  I'm glad you or family weren't hurt!  Good luck!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
So sorry to hear about your house, KB.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 04:19:21 AM »
Thanks, all.

It was mostly just "stuff", which can be replaced. As for sentimental stuff, most of 30 years worth of photos are gone, as is my beloved Canon T90 and all my lenses. I haven't shot film in years, but I LOVED that camera. It was the most advanced non-autofocus 35mm SLR film camera ever made. When digital became viable, my complete kit value crashed in price from about three grand, to maybe $150.

I didn't care, I would still be shooting film if I could.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
KB Im very sorry about that. As you said, "it was just stuff". You and family are alive and safe. This wasnt even a home that you was going to have much longer. You are a very blessed family. GOD was watching over you.  I hope everything turns out well-and the sooner the better.

I hope the OKLA tornado victims get their lives back to some sense of "normal" very soon also.

I thank God that we was spared in the tornadic weather last night. There was a minor tornado about 6 miles from home last night. (This is kind of a story). We live in a mobile home, they was predicting tornados in our area, so we left the house and decided to go eat (basically to leave the house for a more stable building), anyway the tornado went thru about 1/2 mile from the restaurant that we was in. Which was about 6 miles from home. Strange days indeed. The MGR actually locked us in during the tornado and huddled us in the kitchen.  She was absolutely wonderful.  I just need to write a very nice email to Applebees now.

Again Im very sorry about your fire KB. Keep up the spirit.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 02:41:52 PM »
KB, I hope you are doing well and things are settling down for you.  So sorry about your photos.  I lost most of my kids' baby pics to a flooded basement years ago.  I was able to rebuild my collection somewhat by asking grandparents, aunts, cousins, etc. for pics.  That helped a lot!!!  I was thinking about pics last night as we started prepping for a possible tornado in Illinois.  I have literally thousands on my computer (which def got put in the "go" bag).  One of my very near future jobs will be to put them on cd and store in our safe deposit box.