Author Topic: Branson Reviews 2013  (Read 28364 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Branson Reviews 2013
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:47:55 PM »
i thought i would start this thread. may help others looking for something to do in town. if you go to an attraction/show this year. Feel free to leave a review or comment..

I went to see the new "70's Explosion" at the RFD this weekend, with Barry Williams (greg brady) and his crew... this show is all about 70's music and has nothng it di with the "brady Bunch" as last years show did..  very good show.  His show is being produced by Pat Haygood and his wife Stephanie... they all have done a great job.. Apparantly michael haygood is overseeing lighting and special effects... 2:00 sat afternoon and other days, check RFD thatre website..

Also went to see "new Jersya nights" at the kings castle theatre(the old branson variety theatre). this is a tribute show to frankie Vallie and the four seasons..  MAN!! these guys did a great job.. It is a great show for sunday evening filler and any oither time..  check them out.

Of course went to see The Haygoods, those guys and their sister do a heck of a show,.. They moved to the RFD last year,. great show,

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Branson Reviews 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:38 AM »
Sandune: How was Barry Williams himself? What role did he play in the show? Did he do his songs from Brady Bunch? Or did he simply MC, and provide some comedy? I've wondered about his appearance on the Branson scene. I did want to see the Brady Bunch show, but I guess that's over for now.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:30:56 AM »
Junior, Barry was MC, and lead male vocalist.. He does a pretty good job..  the songs were from the 70's era, mainly soft rock and roll mixed in with some "pop" songs.
there is some comedy involved, worked in through the show, but nothing specific.  just need to listen.
This show refered to the brady bunch a couple of times of course, But is not Based on brady bunch.
He does a good overall job, and with his back up singers/dancer, the show is a good one.
He does play his quitar on a few of the songs, but that is not his strongsuit.. lol.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
Last weekend when we was in Branson. I guess we stuck to the old favorite. Presleys.  Even though we watch them on RFD TV every week. We havent seen them live in a couple years.  If you do not watch them on RFD TV. Then they were fantastic as usual. If you do watch them on RFD TV. Well they were still good, but the comedy was the same sketch as you see on TV.

We also did see the Ozark Mountain Jubilee on Sunday nite (At Grand Country Theatre). It is the same show that they have had for years. The Bacons are very talented. Mom & Dad are getting pretty old now. They do mostly the same songs and jokes. The kids are basically running the show now (primarily Doug). They are singing a few different songs. Brad (the bass singer) also does comedy. Greg just kinda stands in. The grandkids are getting big now, and they can sing about anything. Realize these people (relax Max & Jeanine) all have day jobs, or go to school/college (grandkids). So all-in-all, they do a wonderful job.
--We see this show every year at least once, but primarily because we are close/personal friends with Randy Plummer (bass guitar Bacon family shows Sunday at Grand Country & bass guitar at John Denver/Johnny Cash shows at Little Opry).  We like to sneak up on him at Grand Country. Of course after the show we have dinner and chit-chat till early AM overnight hours.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »
QWED: Randy Plummer is a nice guy. I remember when I was in high school he dated my history teacher. Over the years when in Branson I have run in to him at the Disney store where he sometimes has worked. I visit with him about the "old days" and he is always very nice. I was glad to see he's been working at some of the shows doing this and that. He's one of those links to the Branson I remember as a kid.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
Junior, as far as i know. Randy is (as Qwed already said).  Active in the sunday shows at grand country.. And i know he was active playing at "Little Opry" , playing back up @ The Imax facility with john garrett.  I would assume he is still doing that this.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 09:35:30 PM »
I guess it depend on who you talked to in Branson about attendance during Spring Break. Some of the business thought the town was dead, though I saw lots of people and traffic. Went to Golden Corral for breakfast and their was really nobody there. But went back for supper and the place was packed, must of been the Prime Rib.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »
I alos thought there was a pretty good crowd in branson over spring break... after all 15,000 @ SDC on wed that week...  streets were busy.!  LOL. 

also were going to check out golden corral about 6 pm, but could not get in driveway....so turned south and ate at Little Hacienda!  ( we love that place anyway)

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
If you were at Tanger over Spring Break, you would have thought it was busy. Traffic was so crazy it reminded me of Black Friday (and I often just closed my eyes rather than watch my husband trying to find a parking space). The Landing was almost always busy, too. The only time it wasn't busy was March 21, when snow was forecast.... and even then there were people walking around. We saw four shows that were very full: Buckets N Boards, Clay Cooper, The Haygoods and Country Jamboree. We also saw it and they had a very small crowd, which was sad because it was a good show. We never had a wait to be seated at any restaurant but we did tend to eat early (before 6). When we would leave, there would be lots of people waiting for a seat: Olive Garden, Cantina Laredo, iHOP. And yes, SDC was busy on Wednesday the 20th. The Tracks always seemed busy as well. I think those who say it wasn't busy weren't looking in the right places: people were shopping and playing.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 01:34:19 AM »
Yes guys you are right. Randy does perform in certain shows at Little Opry theatre, and Grand Country shows on Sundays. He also works regularly at The Disney store.  Im guessing that nobody has ever been in his house. However, he is a huge Disney freak. His house is filled stem-to-stern with Disney characters and the like.  BTW the "Plummer Family Reunion Show" is May 4, 2013 at the Hamner-Barber Theatre" (2 PM). Mom& Dad (Darrell & Rosie) will be there along with Randys Sister (Melody) She generally runs the Plummer Family Show "on the road" now. Randy of course will perform.  They have a good show. I usually try to make it to Steelville when they perform there.

I dont know if I will make it on May 4 or not.  We have tentatively planned to, but made no actual plans yet.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »
My uncle recommended 3 redneck tenors. We went last Thursday. Sorry to say I wasn't too impressed. The humor was a little too adult for a Branson Show

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:47:17 PM »
not impressed with redneck tenors either.. ::)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »
We also went to the Grand Jubilee and we really really enjoyed that one. New South was very good and Jim Dandy was hilarious as always. Their sound guy was having a bad night though. Seemed to be a little off, but otherwise a fun show with a lot of gospel, tight harmonies and good clean comedy

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
Okie, Grand Jubilee @ Grand country is a great show!  Mike Patrick is a great piano player AND Emcee, 

And yes Jim Dandy (Jamie Hagee) is always a good performer whether it is comedy, playing instruments or singing!.  New south is an excellent quartet!

With Larry Allred on Bass, Wayne on Fiddle and the rest of the band. It is a well balanced show.

Okie, was Trey Wilson back in the lineup ofr New South..??  5 or 6 weeks ago he was out because of a strained voice box.?

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:06:46 AM »
I believe that Trey was back