Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384286 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #480 on: July 02, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »
I only wish we could see what they were going to do before buying a seasons pass.  It really does make a difference on the number of trips I will make.  Honestly trips are getting less and less frequent with Kayaking and other things picking up the time.  I think its the departure from traditions that offset the load on the boat if you will.  
However respecting Shaves comments I will wait to see.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #481 on: July 02, 2014, 10:22:02 PM »
Except for the fact that it has NOTHING to do with the 1880s theme.
If anything, people who call "foul" all the time on the park "breaking the theme" should be dancing around with joy
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 02, 2014, 10:25:48 PM »
I only wish we could see what they were going to do before buying a seasons pass.

They are announcing well before season pass renewals.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 02, 2014, 10:40:34 PM »
First, thank you for keeping us in focus. I think we should still assume good will on SDC's part. So far, they've done a really good job.  :D

Honestly, I think we could still see a mashup of a few of these ideas that were tested or maybe even something totally different. Fireman could be one part of a larger idea. Personally, if they do go with a big Fireman theme, I hope to see something more complex than just SDC Fire Station #2 with a big red GG.  Maybe the fireworks factory is on fire and the SDC fire crew came to save the day?

By the way: I really like idea of "Fireman's Gulch"!

Trademark it and offer to sell it to SDC ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #484 on: July 02, 2014, 11:07:16 PM »
If anything, people who call "foul" all the time on the park "breaking the theme" should be dancing around with joy

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you're saying here.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 03, 2014, 12:09:47 AM »

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you're saying here.

The facade to Geyser Gulch has nothing to do with the 1880s.  Especially the garish color pallet.  We constantly hear on here about "declining by degrees" of the theme at SDC.  Why aren't those who carry the banner for that thought cheering that something that breaks the theme is going away?
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 03, 2014, 12:28:48 AM »
That's kinda what I say.  The colors are 1980s, not 1880s (though I can't believe you actually used the word garish).  The noises that come from it are obnoxious, and the whole thing never made since.  Is it a gulch, or is it a treehouse?  How could it be both?  It doesn't look like either!

I'm thrilled GG leaving, but I'm surprised they are not simply retheming it and placing rides behind it.

By the way, the WB tower could still be incorporated in the new area as a fire watch tower.  They could "easily" upcharge with a huge rock climbing wall, rappelling, and a zip line coming off of it.

And finally, I'm surprised they would call it "Fireman's..." instead of the PC "Firefighter's..."

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 03, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »
The facade to Geyser Gulch has nothing to do with the 1880s.  Especially the garish color pallet.  We constantly hear on here about "declining by degrees" of the theme at SDC.  Why aren't those who carry the banner for that thought cheering that something that breaks the theme is going away?

Your idea was not clear to me either in your first statement but I do agree with you after the explanation.  They could improve the area to get it more into theme.  Lets see if they do.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 03, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »
Women (for the most part) were not Firefighters in the 1880s.  Nor was that term used.
SWOOSH

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »
I can remember the 1st time my family and I went to SDC after GG had opened. My mom, dad, grandmother and me turned the corner by the Boatworks Theatre and my jaw drooped! As an 8 or 9 year old kid, it was VERY impressive. The bright colors, the water cannons, the tall treehouses...it was shocking to see for the very 1st time. I had a few good times in there, but I was entering an age that was really past what GG had to offer me. Tom Sawyers Landing was and always will be my playground. Fast forward years later, my Wife and I have taken our nieces to GG, and it was kinda nerve-racking having them run around in there.
With all that being said, yes it was impressive when I was young, but it doesn't fit the theme. With it coming down, hopefully it will open up the lake area, and make it more visible to enjoy.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 03, 2014, 12:24:45 PM »
Women (for the most part) were not Firefighters in the 1880s.  Nor was that term used.

Agreed.  I wouldn't like it, but these days I'm still surprised they wouldn't use the more PC term.

If not "Gulch", how about "Fireman's Ridge"?  If it's "Landing", shouldn't there be a fire boat in the lake?  Now that could be an interesting addition.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:26:28 PM by History Buff »

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 03, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
I know that GE is supposed to be a "World's Fair" theme. I wish they would do the new area more like an 1880's county fair. I think back to the movie "Tom Sawyer" I watched as a kid.  Picnic area. Fireworks show. Watermelon eating contest. Throw the balloon ride in there for good measure.  Maybe use the shot tower with the Fireworks factory theme. Anyway that is the direction I would go with it.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 03, 2014, 05:41:46 PM »
Maybe we can be rid of these strange little eggs in and on the banks of the lake.
I've not yet discovered the creature that lays these garish treasures.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 03, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »
Maybe we can be rid of these strange little eggs in and on the banks of the lake.
I've not yet discovered the creature that lays these garish treasures.

From the species with  the Latin name Badaimitrons. They do not reproduce unless they are fertilized with a touch from a wax hand.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 04, 2014, 12:24:42 AM »
👍 somebody likes my choice of the word "garish"
SWOOSH