Author Topic: 2013 Trip Reviews...  (Read 127110 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Trip Reviews...
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2013, 02:29:07 AM »
QUOTE: The world is going downhill at a high rate of speed.

REPLY: Read Matthew Chapter 24, it's like reading the headlines in a newspaper.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 30, 2013, 03:35:17 AM »
Naw, I think it's just that an 1880s Ozarks mining town is such a specific theme for a park, that it takes a lot to bring in new people. That's why people go to places like Disney and Universal, etc -- more themes in a single park. SDC really is a unique park all its own. Are there really any other parks out there that are as detailed in theming as SDC but only have a single theme to the entire park?

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »
There is no other park that provides the overall experience and atmosphere that SDC does.  It is so unique and family-friendly and there is so much to do and see that you can't get it all in one or two days.

Rides are what is going to bring new people to the park.  Whether people like it or not, new folks, especially younger families with kids, are going to come for the rides.  We just need to hope that the theme of the 1800's and the overall park experience will catch on and get them to come back.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to ride rides.  You can ride rides and still get in everything else.  I just did.  It's too bad these people didn't have families that took them to SDC "in the old days".  We can't hold that against them and just hope that the magic of the park catches them as it did us.  I'm sure it will with many and won't with others.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2013, 03:13:57 PM »
Yup, new rides are what bring people in; the theming, atmosphere, shows, etc are what keeps 'em comin' back. :-)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »
Had another really good day at the park today. Got to ride OR at least another half a dozen times as well as a few other things, and saw the Saloon show again just for the heck of it. Personally, I liked the old show better, but the saloon performers are the best and are always worth seeing. I also saw the Second String band and enjoyed it. I also got to say hello to tinmann, which was great.

Not much comes to mind to report that you haven't heard already. They weren't able to do the opening ceremony due to technical difficulties, and after they opened the gates and everyone flooded to OR, it wasn't open yet, which was a bit of a double buzz kill. I know that SDC staff always does their best and a lot of things simply go wrong in the operation of a major attraction, but I don't think the park put it's best foot forward this weekend, at least from the perspective of a new guest. They still handle break downs pretty well and can typically be counted on to get stuff up and running again ASAP, but I'm just not used to seeing so much stuff go down or not be open on time at SDC. I don't know what I could suggest here without knowing more about their operations, but it seems like operations in general could be improved somehow.

Nitpicking aside though, my visit was great, the staff were great, and the park looked great as always. Couldn't ask for better weather either.

I didn't take a whole lot of photos this time, but I'll try to post a few later this week and test out the new gallery feature some more.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »
you did seem to pick a good weekend.  weather seemed to be perfect for your visit. attendence seemed to be  modest again this weekend.  11,500 for sunday.

Anxious to see what pics you took, you alwway have good pics.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2013, 11:37:48 PM »
JUNIOR:  You are right about Matthew 24. I wasnt really thinking about Matthew though when I was writting my last post.  I was thinking more in the lines of Revalation (and more specific REV 2:6)
 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.

However I think Matthew 19:24 would fit well here too. (I wasnt really thinking of this either though and the "greed" displayed by most today-this verse should be a staple these days just like John 3:16)
Matt. 19:24 (KJV)    And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.

In all honosty I didnt really intend for my post to turn in to a SERMON, I really was just pointing out the changes the general public are displaying.

I know the youngins just HATE when I start talking about how the times are changing for the worst. But us older guys know, the World is in the final days and the to the youngins, well I understand "to you-the World is just great" because you dont know of better times. We watched an 8 yr old girl for a while today. We have watched several times in the past, she is a really good girl. Fun to spend time with. She about blew a gasket today when it took nearly 1 minute for my internet to load on my old computer. I explained how it used to take several minutes back in the dialup days.  She told me in no uncertain terms that she absolutely would NOT deal with that today. She said on the internet, 2 seconds is too long for a web page to load, and things like a text message should be answered within 3 minutes or you better have a real good excuse. And any cellphone that doesnt get service EVERYWHERE should be discarded and the supplier should be sued. (These were her words) I explained to her that we didnt always have cellphones. (Seriously I believe that she had never been told that before) She was absolutely paralyzed after I told her that.

And you wonder why I say "TIMES ARE CHANGING" and "people are getting spoiled".?
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »
Part of me wishes text messaging was never invented.  As a teacher, it sickens me to see kids have conversations on cell phones.  (not during class, they don't get to do that...just outside of school when I see them, etc.)  Pick up the phone and call someone!  Or just have a conversation.  You know....verbally...in person!
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
Qwed.. Well there is an 8 year old that has some shocks in life coming...!!!  LOL..

AND 1 of my pet peeves is why does an 8 year old even have a phone? let alone worry about if a text is not respoonded to within 3 minutes.. ??? ??? ??? ???

Now dont get me wrong, kids having to walk somewhere (although that doesnt happen much), or teenagers driving? Ok maybe a cell phone for emergency use or contact famiy members yes..  BUT other that , I dont see it!!! :o :o :o

OK.  stepping down off soap box.   NEXT!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »
I don't think this discussion warranted going into what's wrong with the world, nor is this the right topic for it. All I have to say about it is to point to this: http://xkcd.com/1227/

Getting back to the discussion of the park: I have to laugh when I see comments pining for the old black asphalt. It may have become characteristic of SDC at this point, but you have to admit the new textured concrete looks more classy. I really like the way the new crossroads area looks and I think it would have looked tacky with asphalt.

Here's hoping the numbers increase for the rest of the summer. I couldn't believe how dead it was this weekend with such nice weather. I mean, there were something like 11,000 people there, but with the new coaster and temps in the 80's you'd hope it would come closer to breaking records.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2013, 02:01:45 PM »
My delightful, lovely wife and I made it down over the weekend as planned, and I thought I'd share some observations.

1st:  NEWSFLASH:  Paige had a Friday ngiht/Saturday OFF!  We missed seeing her but were glad to hear she got a break during the busy season.

Weather was as near perfect as no matter on Saturday.  The city expected about 11,000 guests and was right on track to meet it.  I know the PTB would probably have liked to have seen half again as many, but the City was much more pleasant to walk through than it wold have been.  Lines were very short.

There seem to be two distinct crowds nowadays:  those that go to the Flag Raising/Veteran's Recognition/Opening and those that march straight to the line for Outlaw Run.  I'm trying to avoid drawing too much conclusion from too little evidience, but my observations back in March were repeated this past weekend:  most of the ones in line for the coaster showed little or no respect for the flag or the vets.  I hope they eventually come to realize what they are missing.

Speaking of OR, it was apparently down for some time.  We didn't hear much complaining, but we were tickled to see that, when the ride went back into operation, a City-wide alert hit the Citizens' pagers.  We were talking to Terry, and he made a point to let folks in the area know that the coaster was up and running.  The PTB and the Citizens are doing everything they can, it seems, to make sure those who want to ride it get the chance.

We rode the train twice, the second time being the last trip of the day but one.  Since the crew was less pressed for time, the boys claimed a Ma--the first time we'd seen that in almost 3 years.  They all must have been tired, as the lines took a beating, but it was all great fun, especially for those of us who knew the lines were taking a beating.

There's a new conductor on the line, a young fellow named Devan (the spelling is a guess).  He was obviously a bit inexperienced, but he did a VERY good job.

Tried the Prickly Lime for the 1st time--good stuff, but Habanero Zest is not for the Faint of Heart.  The OR ice Cream is *very* good as is the OR Taffy. 

The Stunt Dog show was pretty good, but the pounding music and the strobes gave me a real headache.  Can't we enjoy the dogs without the phoney effects?  I wonder if it gives THEM a headache. . . .

We saw mean Murphy for the first time and really enjoyed it.  My wife let the girl organizing the line borrow me, and I have a pic to prove it  ;)

We listened to the Pickers both at 9:30 and at 11:30, and my wife asked for "Ghost Chickens," so I got voluntold to do the rooster.  I hope I didn't scare anyone off!  I like the new guy, Walt.  He has a great voice and fits in pretty well.  If you see them, get them to do the "Hillbilly Wrap."  If it doesn't have you rolling on the ground, check your pulse.

My wife was delighted:  she snagged two employee pins.  She needs another lanyard, now:  one for keeping and one for trading.

We got there about 8:00 (giving us time to talk to Jill the photgrapher) and left at 7:00, so it was an all-day Great Past!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
Palallin,we were able to ride the train twice on out last visit, and both time we got to meet "ma".

I had the opinion as your palallin about the dog show.! do they really need all those effects?

Shave, interested statement about the concrete versus asphalt..  Yes the Crossroads area looks great, I guess IF the "decorated" all the concrett that way it might be a little easier to get used to. But when they pour a slab, like they did last year over by the saloon there is no ambience or character. It just looks like it was "added" without thought.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
A friend was there on Sat, he said a  older lady right behind him in line on PK fainted and it took some time to get emts there. They had to clear the que and that closed PK down and later in the day, someone, somehow dislocated their shoulder on it and came in screaming on it.

eagle1

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2013, 09:44:02 PM »
Hey Pallalin! Sorry I missed you....I know a new schedule for me! (My wonderful staff put it together...still getting used to it). Next time let them know you are here and if avail I would love to come down and say hello!  ;D Glad you had a great trip and who knows maybe able to meet you all at SDC sometime this year!  ;)

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 02, 2013, 09:10:25 AM »
Hey Pallalin! Sorry I missed you....I know a new schedule for me! (My wonderful staff put it together...still getting used to it). Next time let them know you are here and if avail I would love to come down and say hello!  ;D Glad you had a great trip and who knows maybe able to meet you all at SDC sometime this year!  ;)

Not to worry!  We were really delighted to hear that you got a break!  We will be coming back down soon--we have a break in our reenacting schedule.