Author Topic: 2013 Trip Reviews...  (Read 127151 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: 2013 Trip Reviews...
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »
Here's my first PTR of the year from SDC
http://midwestinfoguide.com/migcrew/2013/SDCspring/

I'll have a photo update showing details of all the new changes later this week

SWOOSH

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 09:24:09 AM »
Awesome pictures. Thanks for the report Swoosh

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
Ditto! :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
I enjoyed your report, Swoosh.

We went in for about an hour today.  It was craazzzyyy.  People everywhere, hoping to get in a few rides before the great snow.  When we got to Outlaw Run, it was broken down and the sign said 120 minutes to wait.  We made a circle and decided to leave.  There were long lines for everything--Flooded Mine, popcorn, cave.  It was too busy for us.

Still, we haven't ridden Outlaw Run, so we are going to try at opening tomorrow if the blizzard doesn't stop us.  I have wind pants, underarmor, gloves, and earmuffs, etc.  I am ready if it's possible.  If we can't swing it tomorrow, we will try Friday.  We plan to stay in Branson until Sat.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:13 AM »
I saw on FB, that SDC extended hours to 7 on Last nite (wed)...  I am sure they were trying to get more traffic in before the weather turns bad on thurs/friday,

DougFromTulsa

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »
Lurker here... Haven't posted much since 2012. 

I was out on SDC's FB page and I was amazed at how many people were very, very unhappy with the park.  Complaints ranged from "Outlaw Not Run" to waiting in line and rude customer service, to waiting in line for 2 hours just to exchange guest passes. 

I've been going to SDC since the early 80's .. go about 5-6 times a year (for 3-4 days at a time) and we've never had experiences like that... 

Can we just chalk this up to people who are not happy about long lines (and sometimes problems) for a new ride?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 02:43:03 PM »
doug, i think we could easily assune that the people that are posting complaints on the SDC FB page are just .............................WHINERS!!!!!..................... ;D

And you can assume they really dont understand the whole SDC expierience anyway,,

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
We got to ride Outlaw Run today!  Yippee!

I am now enjoying a hot chocolate in the comfort of my motel room.

We were there early.  I think we were on the square a few minutes after 9:00.  We were wondering if the new coaster would even open this morning because of low temps.  At around 11:00, the ride operator near the beginning of the queue said they were able to open. We watched the test rides, and then we were allowed in the line.  We waited a few rides, and then we rode for the first time in the last seat.  After the awesome ride, we got in line again.  The second time, we rode somewhere in the middle.  Waits were not long at all, but it took a little time to load and unload a single train. 

As we left, we saw that the Giant Swing was open, so we walked on to that.  It was fun, as usual.  At this point, Wildfire and Powderkeg still weren't open.  We decided to leave.  We had already checked out a few shops this morning.  We looked around at just about anywhere that was open.  As we got off of the tram, we saw from the parking lot a train going on Wildfire.

There were not many people around this morning at all.  It's fun to have the park to yourself, except for the small crowd around the new coaster. 

I understand why people were upset yesterday.  If yesterday had been my first visit to the park, I don't think I would come back.

Bigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »
Powder Keg and Wildfire were only open for about 45 min this afternoon.  Outlaw Run was open until about 4:30 and Fire in the Hole closed a few minutes later.

We were fortunate to get on the last rides of the day for Powder Keg, Outlaw Run and Fire in the Hole.  Never rode a coaster in the snow before.   The train ride and hold up scene were highlighted by the snowfall.

The tram ride back to the lot was miserable though.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2013, 05:29:31 AM »
Anyone going today (friday), webcams show snow on the ground... get us some pics,  regardless of season, I like pics of the season with snow on the ground..

Thanks

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2013, 09:11:32 AM »
I just read somewhere that Branson got 5" in some areas.  We need someone local to verify it.  I've only seen SDC once with snow on the ground, and that was my first trip during the Christmas season several years ago.  It was breathtaking!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
yes thats right gilligan,  friend of mine in branson verified 4 --5 inches overnight..

here is a link to 1 of thr webcams in branson

http://www.bransontravelandvacation.com/webcams/4

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
I am over here in Branson West and I only got ice crap. Nothing too exciting. Missed work cuz I couldnt get up hill due to the ice. Pretty lame.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
We went into the park this afternoon and walked around.  Not too much was open.  Fire-in-the-Hole, Flooded Mine, and the train were going, but we didn't ride.  The candy shop was the busiest place in the park!  The Grand Expo and Geyser Gulch were chained off.  The Culinary School was closed.  The new pizza place and the rib house were open.  The kettle corn guy was open, but not the pork rind place or kettle chips.  The cave looked like it was having tours today, and a sing-a-long was in progress at the church when we walked by.

We walked around taking some snow pictures.  It is actually a little foggy, as well, so my pictures have an eerie fog effect to them.  We've had the park nearly to ourselves before.  Once was when the park would stay open until 11:00 during Christmastime.  We've never had the park to ourselves in the daylight before.  Yes, there were other guests, but you could walk long stretches without meeting anyone.  Again, most people were on the train or in the candy shop.  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:13:27 PM by StaceySue »

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »
Priceless picture StaceySue!!
Live life like it's the last day!