Author Topic: Even more "Lost" SDC Photos-1978  (Read 2985 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Even more "Lost" SDC Photos-1978
« on: February 06, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
So I've moved the time machine ahead only 8 years now, to 1978. The last set of photos showed "lost" SDC arts and crafts and attractions that existed in the late, late 1960's and early 1970s. now, just 8 years later, the "old" classic SDC was changing. More and more people were coming to SDC, over a million people a year by this time, so old things were fading out like the medicine show, and other things. This set of photos from 1978 shows many more arts, crafts, attractions, and, most important to me, the unique, colorful "citizens" that worked at the park. As you go through the photos, please click on them to englarge them, and read the captions below for a better description of what you are looking at. This series of photos shows SDC as I saw it as a new, young employee of 15 years of age. (I'm 50 years old this year!) So, enjoy taking another leap back in time...                     http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan       
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:50:19 PM by Junior »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Even more "Lost" SDC Photos-1978
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »
Wow. That was the real heyday as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the great memories, Junior. I really wish for the "old" town square back.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 01:15:39 AM »
Echo to the above post! However, I just saw some chatter on another thread about how today's generation get just as excited as we did in the old school days about going to SDC. Things change, but some things don't. That's why we all love SDC. Five generations of my family have gone to SDC, and we will go back again. Hey, I'm a season pass holder. I can't wait 'til opening day this season!  ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 05:44:21 AM »
those are some awesome pics, amazing what we have loast throught the years... and to me i am surprised at how some of the places that are gone, i dont even remember..

I do wish i could visit the gunsmith 1 more time with my father, but............

And lets not forget another one of out "lost" itemes that i think we all miss............ The green trams.. :)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:41:55 AM »
Yes, the trams. Sigh. First and last ride of the day. Ride frontways coming in to see the park and ride backwards on the way home to wish it adu.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
My kids revolted against my totalitarian rule last year by saying they didn't want to go to Branson last year. I took them to Houston / Galveston on our family vacation instead. I would have prefered SDC but they wanted something different.

Branson and SDC will always hold a special place for me, as my Grandparents who have since passed on always spent a lot of time with us there. I miss them and going there allows me to still feel connected with them.