Author Topic: Taking a year off  (Read 7060 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Taking a year off
« on: January 18, 2013, 07:06:38 PM »
After 5 consecutive years of being passholders, this year we did not buy. We're taking a 2 week vacation in June to Gatlinburg/Smoky Mountains and decided that also buying 6 passes (5 adults and one child) just wasn't in the budget and not likely to be used enough to justify the expense. It's close to $500 to buy passes for all of us and that money should pay our gas to Tennessee and back (I hope  ::) ) This fall we will have one senior in high school and 2 juniors so this likely could be our last "big" family vacation. The timing probably isn't the best considering the new coaster opening this year, but I'm optimistic that taking a break will make 2014 all the sweeter when we return. We will still visit Branson several times throughout the year (in fact already have once), and plan on making our annual trip in August for the Shepherd of the Hills Super Summer Cruise weekend.

I know there are several on here who don't get to go to the City even annually, much less several times a year as we have done in the past, so it seems a bit selfish to feel bad about missing one season. Please forgive me.

In the meantime I look forward to living vicariously at the City through the fourms.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Taking a year off
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:54:36 PM »
Sounds like a busy year for you,,  we will also be in branson for summer cruise, made our reservations last august.. will be staying@ homestay of course..  we will see you there...

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
Just think of the big hype crowd you will be missing out on considering the big fat fun new coaster. And it will be wonderful to go out with your kids for one last big family gathering. Have a safe trip. Have lots of fun and take lots of pictures!!! Theres always 2014. Things should simmer down by then.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 09:16:25 PM »
Sounds like a busy year for you,,  we will also be in branson for summer cruise, made our reservations last august.. will be staying@ homestay of course..  we will see you there...

Definitely. We're considering staying there this year also instead of camping just to be a little closer to the action. Gonna talk to Paige about it probably early spring and see what she can do for a group rate.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:18:30 PM »
Just think of the big hype crowd you will be missing out on considering the big fat fun new coaster. And it will be wonderful to go out with your kids for one last big family gathering. Have a safe trip. Have lots of fun and take lots of pictures!!! Theres always 2014. Things should simmer down by then.

Thanks, Trams. Haven't been on FB much lately to see what the latest SDC crisis is ( ;)), but I'm sure you guys (and the others on here) will keep me abreast of the goings on this year.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:27:33 AM »
I can tell you, as a family "matures" and the kids all start going different directions for college, work, and then a spouse and kids of their own, it will be almost impossible to get everyone back together more than once or twice a  year for any kind of family gatherings, including vacations. Life moves at a pretty fast pace, so enjoy your big family vacation together. We will keep you posted about SDC, and have fun in the meantime. :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 08:46:41 AM »
We took last year off. Our oldest graduated from high school and we did two weeks in Florida (but still managed to squeeze in Spring Break and Labor Day weekend in Branson). I did miss Silver Dollar City, but I also think that this year when we go, we'll have a new appreciation for everything.

Enjoy your year off and this time as your children approach adulthood. I'm loving this time in our lives!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:27:15 AM »
Larson, IF you are wanting to stay @ homestay during cruise weekend.... call Paige....  Since they are on the " cruise route" she fills up fast, and several of the car owners actually stay there.. 

check you personal messages..

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »
Larson, IF you are wanting to stay @ homestay during cruise weekend.... call Paige....  Since they are on the " cruise route" she fills up fast, and several of the car owners actually stay there.. 

check you personal messages..

I did, thanks.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 07:29:43 AM »
enjoy your fun thelarsonsix & stay safe. :) my parents want to take us to Colorado in June. when my wife told me, we both almost started crying. my parents are 70 years young & this may be our last BIG trip with them, mom just cant do much these days. we are kinda taking this year off also, we want to try some new things.
Live life like it's the last day!

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
We aren't taking the year off but most of our trips will be one day, down and back type.

However, we are taking our FIRST real family vacation this year, also going to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/GSMNP.  The kids will be 5 and 7 and we are looking forward to that.

Our family didnt get passes for about 10 years (HS, College years) and we resumed getting them after the first grandkid could go. Made the return all the sweeter.
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
Instead of buying six passes, why don't you buy just three and use the bring a friend for your other three family members.

We skipped out on 2012 and there were many times when I wished I had them. When in Tennessee are you going to be anywhere close to Dollywood?

Jay

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
I've been a pass holder for as long as I've been old enough to need a pass. I don't know how I'd hold up skipping an entire year of SDC!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:19 AM »
I've been a pass holder for as long as I've been old enough to need a pass. I don't know how I'd hold up skipping an entire year of SDC!

Tiff, been there, done that! Had a pass every year up until I got into Sophomore or Junior year when we stopped going.  :'( It was rough! After about a 6 or 7 year drought we got passes again. Was such a sweet feeling to go again.  ;D ;D
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »
Instead of buying six passes, why don't you buy just three and use the bring a friend for your other three family members.

We skipped out on 2012 and there were many times when I wished I had them. When in Tennessee are you going to be anywhere close to Dollywood?

Jay

I did consider that. Our trips however are usually pretty spontaneous, and relying on the BAF's boxes us in to certain dates and times I wasn't sure we'd be able to make.

Yes, we will be just outside Gatlinburg, and will most likely head to PF at least once. I'm really trying to focus on some of the natural attractions this trip, mainly the National Park itself. Nothing against Dollywood, never been there, but there's plenty of "artificial" entertainment close to home.

Thanks for the thought though.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:21:57 PM by thelarsonsix »