Author Topic: It's a Wonderful Life  (Read 12101 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
It's a Wonderful Life
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:34:07 PM »
Has anyone seen it yet?  Do we have any info other than it is a 60 minute musical production in Red Gold?

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: It's a Wonderful Life
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:03:53 AM »
I've seen it.  It's a pretty good show.  I want to know what you all think about it before saying any more than it's just how they bill it in the Pathfinder...Broadway come to SDC.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:51:35 AM »
Love the movie, watch it every year...Just curious as to how Bedford Falls  circa 1940s fits in, I guess under the Christmas category A Christmas Story, or Scrooged would fit in at Old Time Christmas huh?

If we are cold, we might give it a try.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:32:09 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing the production. They have produced some good stuff in the past ( and some duds).
The only hating I do not look forward to is watching a broadway style show from circus bleachers.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »
it was pretty good,

i suggest if possible sit to the front of the bleachers.. they dont have much angle and the further back, the mre people to look over. AND be CAREFUL walking to you seat, those folding chairs reach out and will trip you!! I was in the front 1/4 oif seating and saw 6 people fall!!!  BAD DEAL!!..

The Show:  I thought was very good!  great effects and the stage is pretty simple...  They are using a back screen and broadcasting images on it for different scenes,.,,, very cool idea,,  works great..and look to me to be "3D"..of course part of that may be my trifocals...

Not going into the story line, but it all flows very well..

Make sure you see it, BUT get in line early!

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
So does this mean there is no Nativity show this year or has it moved? Or am I just confused . . .

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »
The Nativity has moved to Riverfront Playhouse!  :)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 11:33:30 AM »
Oh good! I would have been very surprised if they had gotten rid of it.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
Read on the 1branson board that the lines were long and that the doors were opening 45 minutes early.  I know it can get clogged up with people waiting in line for Red Gold and with folks going to and from the Grand Exposition.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 08:01:58 PM »
The Nativity has moved to Riverfront Playhouse!  :)

Speaking of the Nativity, why did they stop having Red Gold decked out like an old Bible times town with shops and such.  I always used to love walking around in there.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 02:02:48 AM »
Oh man, we went and saw It's A Wonderful Life this Friday night. OMG. It was amazing! I LOVED it! Everything was perfect--the sets, the backgrounds, the effects, the singing, the song choices, the actors.... WOW.

Also, we used Show Lovers Passes for the first time ever, and it was actually a great deal. We got 4 for $30 because they have new family package deals. We got to the park after 4pm, and we were all starving, so we ate at the Mine and then headed toward Red Gold. We were able to catch the parade as it started at 6pm, then got seated immediately after with our passes. We were a few rows up from the front, and they were great seats: close enough to see, but just far back enough that we weren't a part of the "audience participation" (*wink wink*).

I loved identifying the different songs they used, particularly "Journey to the Past" from Anastasia, "Money" from Cabaret, and their altered version of "Taylor the Latte Boy."

Oh, and the end made me cry. It was all just so spectacularly beautiful!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:06:03 AM by Joy »

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
We really liked "It's a Wonderful Life" and my husband and I are not fans of the movie.  Although we have enjoyed Dickens in the Opera House over the years, we were disappointed this year.  Thought that IAWL was the superior production this year.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:15 AM »
Biscuit: I'm not a big fan of the movie, either. Not that I hate it, but after seeing it once, I've just never been all that interested in watching it again.

But, man oh man, I loved the musical!!!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »
And, I felt just the opposite. I love the movie and thought the play was okay - not a show stopper, but def worth seeing once. I wasn't planning to see it until Fri., so maybe it was just my mood. We were heading to the bathroom and a worker steered us to the play telling us there were still seats available, so we jumped on it. Walked right in!  I'm still using a wheelchair, so I had to sit in from row. Hubs wasn't allied to sit with me. He sat in bleachers behind me. That spoils the fun. We were also tired, hungry, and remember heading to the restroom. Maybe all that added to our "it was okay" review.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 10:59:29 PM »
We both enjoyed it.  Of course we were freezing and the heated Red Gold was nice. We actually sat in the very last row. That was still OK. We seen everything even way back there. It was a simple stage but the backdrops made it all look the part good.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream