Author Topic: american plunge question  (Read 14834 times)

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
american plunge question
« on: June 05, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »
does anyone know if there was  ever a reason given to change the cave/tunnel on this ride.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: american plunge question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:30:26 PM »
The tunnel was re-built for structural reasons during PK's construction.  It needed to be sounder so that equipment could be parked above it, and so that eventually a pathway can go over it. Like everyone's said though, I sure wish they could have built in some new effects rather than just having a dark tunnel, but things like that were slashed for unknown reasons all around. PK's water effect still isn't working, is it?

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:44:08 PM »
I'm anything but a glass-half-empty kind of guy, but boy does that attraction just scream for major refurbishment now.  With the tunnel section as it is now, the whole experience is sub par.  You feel like you are doused with disappointment even before you get soaked with water.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:33:10 PM »
the pk effect still isnt working, and as far as ap goes, i dont even ride the ride anymore. big time letdown now.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:36:05 PM »
I'm anything but a glass-half-empty kind of guy, but boy does that attraction just scream for major refurbishment now.  With the tunnel section as it is now, the whole experience is sub par.  You feel like you are doused with disappointment even before you get soaked with water.

Yeah, and there are some rumors flying around that this may very well happen soon.

It kind of scares me though, because I love AP's theme, and any major re-furbishment project would probably do away with it in lieu of something more generic and modern. The whole Ozark daredevilry thing is very cute and fits in oh so well, and I really loved all the old effects they used to have to go along with it. Even without the awesome old tunnel, there's still a few old effects that are really well done like the boat that slides out and over riders and the classic whirlpool.

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:00:42 AM »
AP is one of my favorite rides.  I love the theming.  While I do miss the effects that were in the tunnel, I still love it because of the daredevil theming and the drop is still a rush no matter how many times I ride it!  :o

What is PK's water effect?  I've never heard of that before.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:34:05 AM »
At one point PK is supposed to plunge into water - well, not really, but water is supposed to spray out from the plunge site to make it appear this way.  I guess after the explosive take off, the water is supposed to extinguish any residual sparkage.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 01:55:36 PM »
^I think if they were going to have the water effect working now it would've been done. I think they've probably tried to fix the effect but I'm guessing they stopped trying some time ago and that they are just going to leave the ride as is for now.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:30:29 AM »
At one point PK is supposed to plunge into water - well, not really, but water is supposed to spray out from the plunge site to make it appear this way.  I guess after the explosive take off, the water is supposed to extinguish any residual sparkage.

Ah, that explains why they left the water effect area intact when they took out BuzzSaw Falls.  I have to agree with Coaster, though.  I think if PK is going to have this effect it would be done by now.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 01:34:28 AM »
I have seen the water effect work once. its at the very end when u break. as soon as u break water jets shoot up and kind of get u wet but that was like a year ago, but as for when u go down the hill i havn't seen water even it ever.
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:23:17 AM »
I wonder if they wanted the water jets to look anything like Sheikra at Busch Gardens. (Of course on a much smaller scale)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXP-pnKJZ-Q
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 12:02:35 PM »
No, there were supposed to be two water effects on PK. 

The one at the bottom of the "BuzzSaw Hill" has never worked. 
The second one was on the brake run where "water bombs" would go off much like on Maverick at Cedar Point when it goes around Swan Lake.

SWOOSH

firstyear1967

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:02:05 PM »
I think the whirlpool was part of the old river ride.  The plunge you take is one of the best around.  I think it is a great ride just as it is. 

Baldknobber

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 09:16:26 PM »
I remember this ride when it was the float trip and it went in the cave right after the whirlpool. Upon entering the cave, on the right hand side, was a puppet in a mini rollercoaster? I want to say was only a slanted flat piece of toy track and when you entered it said something to the effect of "Hi boys and girls.. WHEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" as it slid down that little track... I could be wrong..but aren't I close??

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 10:00:56 PM »
I don't remember a roller coaster but you are correct in that the river flowed the same path as AP but in the opposite direction, so that the guy in the whirlpool (at the time just a hand holding a hat) was on your right, and then into the cave.  I seem to recall some dwarves or something though.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!